Small car for motorway, opinions please - dagwood
Hello, may have the chance of a job i would like, but it would involve approx 100 mile round trip a day, 90 of which motorway.
Criteria, very economical on fuel and a good reputation for reliability, up tp 5000 pounds.Any opinions please?
Small car for motorway, opinions please - Happy Blue!
As has been discussed many times in the back room....

1. Do you really want a job where you drive 100 miles each day to work and back?
2. Whilst small cars will do the job on an occasional basis, I would not like to do that every day in a small car. The level of noise, risk of accidents/injury, general comfort etc would guide me towards a larger car.

You'll do better with a Mondeo size car for value than a Focus size for the same money.

Small car for motorway, opinions please - Lud
1. Do you really want a job where you drive
100 miles each day to work and back?

Sounded more like 50 miles each way to me, nearly all on motorway. Unless it's a famously carp motorway that's only about an hour each way, maybe less, quite normal travel time for wage slaves.

For 5k you should be able to get a decent Skoda Octavia or similar. Buy carefully though.
Small car for motorway, opinions please - tyro
I don't disagree with the idea of a Mondeo or Skoda Octavia - but if you insist on getting a small car, and really want reliability and fuel economy as your top priorities, look at a Toyota Yaris diesel.
Small car for motorway, opinions please - yorkiebar
If you want to travel on motorways daily like that then I strongly suggest buying a car for its comfort as much as its economy. It will pay off in the long run (no pun intended).

Most cars at the same speeds on a motorway will provide similar mpg (not comparing a yaris with a range rover obviously) but the time you spend travelling will hurt you more !
Small car for motorway, opinions please - L'escargot
1. Do you really want a job where you drive
100 miles each day to work and back?

It depends whether you can get a suitable job any closer to home. Many people can't.
--
L\'escargot.
Small car for motorway, opinions please - top turkey
Couldn't agree more. I could easily find a job within a 20 min drive of my house, if I was prepared to take a 14k a year drop, a decrease in pension provision and a dull and boring job. As it is, an 85 mile daily commute on relatively clear motorways (taking 60 mins each way) is the opportunity cost of a salary I am happy with, a good pension and an interesting job.

Is it ideal? No. Is it something that I can live with until something else comes along? Yes.

It helps that I like driving too.

TT

--
Top Turkey - the fastest hands in Brum
Small car for motorway, opinions please - PW
Dagwood,

How small are you thinking? Just bought a 53 plate Citroen Xsara to do 100 miles a day on the motorway and is brilliant. Got the SX with auto lights and wipers, the latter is proving brilliant for commuting.

No doubt loads of people will come on here bemoaning Citroens reliability, but the PIcasso I had before that did 10,000 miles in 6 months with no problems at all. Only done 2000 or so in the Xsara so far but so far so good.

Details here www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=46931&...f

Hope this helps.
Small car for motorway, opinions please - Martin1981
I'd go for a Fiesta 1.4TDCi or a 206HDi- comparable performance with similar sized petrol engines and oodles of mpg

Martin
Small car for motorway, opinions please - Gromit {P}
Having done a 250 mile round trip once a week for three years in a Punto, I'd recommend a car of the next size up.

A quick serach of Auto Trader suggests £5000 will get you a 2002 Octavia diesel. 50+ mpg, good supportive seats and a long wheelbase makes an ideal car for the type of journey you describe.

There's also a 1.4 petrol, its no ball of fire, but mid-forties economy, and goes quick enough if not loaded to the roof. Might be worth a look if you can get one cheap enough to offset the extra running costs. The 1.6 is gutsier but thirstier, at mid-30s average rising to 38ish on longer journeys.
Small car for motorway, opinions please - helicopter
Why not try a Honda Civic - Check the Autotrader website -

In my area ,your £5K will give you a good selection of both 1.4 and 1.6 engines on a 51/52 plate and the unrivalled Honda reliability.
Small car for motorway, opinions please - madf
I found a 2001 Fiesta comfortable and acceptable on motorways. But a diesel Yaris is more comfortable and 50% more economical and better built. Nicer seats as well.

Best to do is test drive a few (and hire the short list and make notes...if undecided).

Ride comfort is usually not a motorway issue. (they tend to be flat:-))
SEATS ARE!!!!!!

And wind noise...

If you are spending more than 30 minutes at a time in a car, seat comfort is the first thing to look at and disqualify anything you cannot be comfortable in.
Otherwise backpain, sciatica etc may be exacerbated.

madf
Small car for motorway, opinions please - John S
I'd try before you buy on that Fiesta. Had one on rent for a week a while back. It's personal, but I found the front seats are a bit small (short cushions) and uncomfortable, certainly compared with the seats in a Corsa. The TDCi was economical, but had a desparately small useable rev range and was, I thought, very noisy. It was probably least objectionable on a motorway, so if you can put up with the noise the rest of the time it would do the job. Have you considered a Corsa diesel? I reckon they are better built than the Fiesta.

JS
Small car for motorway, opinions please - James_dbrz
I'd try before you buy on that Fiesta. Had one
on rent for a week a while back. It's personal,
but I found the front seats are a bit small (short
cushions) and uncomfortable, certainly compared with the seats in a Corsa.
The TDCi was economical, but had a desparately small useable
rev range and was, I thought, very noisy. It was
probably least objectionable on a motorway, so if you can put
up with the noise the rest of the time it would
do the job. Have you considered a Corsa diesel?
I reckon they are better built than the Fiesta.
JS

i would agree with this statement the corsa seats are far superior to the fiesta in every way
Small car for motorway, opinions please - oldgit
Hello, may have the chance of a job i would like,
but it would involve approx 100 mile round trip a day,
90 of which motorway.
Criteria, very economical on fuel and a good reputation for reliability,
up tp 5000 pounds.Any opinions please?

I would thinks that the two requirements of motorway use and a small car are mutually exclusive or at least mutually unattractive as the two don't mix very well.
Small car for motorway, opinions please - dagwood
Thanks for all your replies.Most helpful.