Construction & Use Regulations via Web? - Ruperts Trooper
Can anyone direct me to Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulation 1986, and it's amendments, on the internet?

I've drawn blanks at dvla, vosa, directgov, hmso. opsi only goes back to 1987!

HJ directories and forum search has also drawn blanks.

Google give lots of documents which refer to the regulations but none that gives the documents themselves.

I need to check the exact wording (rather than "alleged" expert interpretation) regarding requirements to have weight information displayed for non-commercial trailers under 3500kg MAW, specifically caravans.

I'd really appreciate any help.
Construction & Use Regulations via Web? - mini 30 owner
I think, as they're pre - '87 you may have to pay for those £6.oo from TSO

www.tsoshop.co.uk/bookstore.asp?FO=1159966&action=...s
Construction & Use Regulations via Web? - Pugugly {P}
tinyurl.com/ybfo5x

'ave a look in here, it may narrow your search for the particular bit you're looking for and its a freebie.
There's a free trial availble here (you may like to be a law practitioner or student perhaps)

You need a database called Legislation Direct
www.butterworths.co.uk/utilities/lnb_trial.asp

Sorry!
Construction & Use Regulations via Web? - Micky

www.police-law.co.uk used to be a good source of info. It now appears to be broken :-(
Construction & Use Regulations via Web? - Westpig
try this one......national police legal database

//www.pnld.co.uk/docportal/content/commercial3.htm
Construction & Use Regulations via Web? - Dwight Van Driver
Is this what you after?

Road Vehicles (Con and Use) Regs, 1986

Marking of weights on certain vehicles

Reg 71(1)

This Reg applies to a vehicle (other than an agricultural motor vehicle which is either a track laying vehicle not exceeding 3050kg in unladen weight or a wheeled vehicle), which is:

(a) Locomotive

(b) Motor tractor

(c) a bus which is registered under the 1971 Act (or any enactment repealed thereby);or

(d) An unbraked wheeled trailer, other than one mentioned in Reg 16(3)(b) - Trailer used in street cleaning,

(bb) ? agricultural trailer drawn by tractor

(bc) ? trailer drawn by motor cycle

(c) ? Agricultural trailer

(d? agricultural trailed appliance

(e) ? broken down vehicle

(f) ? before 1.10.1996

(i) a trailer with an unladen weight not exceeding 102kg which was manufactured before 1.10.1982;and

(ii) a gritting trailer

(g) on or after 1.10.1986, a gritting trailer with a maximum gross weight not exceeding 2000kg

(2) There shall be plainly marked in a conspicuous place on the outside of a vehicle to which this regulation applies, on its nearside ?
(a) if it is a vehicle falling within in para (1)(a), (b),or (c) its unladen weight : and

(b) if it is a vehicle falling in para (1)(d) its maximum gross weight.

The whole of the Regs are not published on the Web in full only Stat Instruments in full from 1987.

If you have access to a local Reference Library then go in and ask if they have a copy of the Stat Instrument of 1984.

If not, for the most up to date Stone?s Justices Manual Volume 2 or

If you know of a friendly Solicitor ask to see his copy.

Come back if you want more. I haven?t gone into the realms of Plating and Testing Certificates which have to carry a weight amongst other things
DVD - that's close, except that a trailer (caravan) built in 2001 with unladen weight 1001kg doesn't fit into that list.

The data on the "Information Sticker" on my caravan has disappeared, ie faded, so the maximum gross weight is no longer visible (we're not supposed to take caravans outside into the sun!).

From the wording you've provided, the regs specify what infomation should be present, not who should provide / fix such an information plate.

There seems to be no requirement for the manufacturer, alone, to provide / fix such an information plate. It would seem permissible for me, or a local tradesman, to provide / fix the plate.
Construction & Use Regulations via Web? - Dwight Van Driver
Rant rant rave.

Just spent half an hour adding some more information in detail - went to post and timed out , lost it all so this is abrieviated.

The Living Van mentioned does not have to comply to rules in respect of fitting of plate with weights by Manufacturer nor under Plating and Testing Regs for Ministry plate.

Reg 87 Con and Use 84

Person shall not use, cause or permit to be used on a road an unbraked wheeled trailer if:

its laden weight exceeds its maximum gross weight,

it is drawn by a vehicle of which the kerbside weight (vehicle hand book)is less than twice the sum of the unladen weight of the trailer (weight bridge) and the weight of any load which the trailer is carrying.

Does not apply to agricultural trailer, or

a trailer mentioned in para (b), (bb), (bc),(c), (d),(e), (f), or (g) of Reg 16(3) mentioned in earlier post.

Unbraked trailer is defined in the Regs but it is tied in with a plethora of EEC Directives that frankly I do not have the patience or time to deciopher.

dvd

I've spent a couple of hours at the library checking Stones Justices Manual 2006. I read the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986, as amended - twice- but couldn't find any specific reference.

There are references to unbraked trailers, trailers under 750kg MAW and braked trailers over 1020kg unladen but none of these apply in my case.

In the section on plating of trailers where they require plating, I found that they must be "equipped with a plate which is securely fixed to the vehicle in a conspicuous and readily accessible position". There's no requirement for the plate to be in a specific form, nor for it to be fixed by the manufacturer.
Construction & Use Regulations via Web? - artful dodger {P}
>>The data on the "Information Sticker" on my caravan has disappeared, ie faded, so the maximum gross weight is no longer visible

Why not contact the manufacturer of the caravan and complain about the quality of the "Information Sticker". I feel sure they would provide you with a new one, probably for free.

As to fixing it, if it is correct information, who should care? If you were ever stopped by the Police or VOSA, they will only inspect the plate. I doubt if they would ever ask who fixed it. I am assuming an agent for caravans is saying otherwise to earn a few pounds.

--
Roger
I read frequently, but only post when I have something useful to say.