Micra fan belt noise - mikem004
K11 Micra N-reg 105k.
The fan belt or associated mechanism is making a screeching noise. This is only noticeable when idling *after* a journey -- when I get out to open the garage after returning from work, for instance. Noise is not noticeable on cold start up.
The Micra has 2 belts, both in same engine area -- alternator and water pump. Both belts appear in OK condition with about 1/2 inch of play.
Any ideas on diagnosing the problem (which belt is dodgy, is it the pulleys making the noise or the belt etc.)?
Or is this a problem that may go away next spring? If so, I could possibly live with it.

Thanks
Mike
Micra fan belt noise - mjm
If it is screeching, it is slipping. My bet would be the alternator belt, it is under more load this time of year.

If it is badly worn it will be running on the bottom of the V on the pulley.

I would remove the easier of the 2 and see if the problem goes away. For the cost of them, it would be worth replacing both, anyway.

I would not leave the problem to sort itself out, the belt may cry "enough" on a wet windy night miles from anywhere!
Micra fan belt noise - kithmo
Easiest way to tell which belt it is, is to dribble some water on to the pulleys with the engine running, be careful not to get any clothing or parts of your anatomy trapped in the pulleys and do each belt in turn.
Assuming they are the normal old fashioned Vee pulley belts, the belt (or belts) are probably worn to the extent that they are bottoming out in one or more of the pulleys and no amount of tightening will get shut of the noise.
Don't be tempted to overtighten them or you'll end up damaging the water pump or alternator bearings.
Thanks for your reply. I'll try to pinpoint which belt is dodgy.
But why is there no noise on startup from cold? Or when accelerating away from a cold start?
The noise emerges after a good run. I drove for 2 hrs the other evening and the belt was pretty noisy by the time I arrived home after a thrash down the motorway...

Mike
Micra fan belt noise - Aprilia
Might not be a belt, might be a bearing. Try the water trick first.
After investigations, I suspect it may be the bearings which are squealing.
Is it OK to spray some WD40 on the rotary pulleys? I know that spraying WD40 on the fan belt itself is a definite no no.

Thanks
Mike
Micra fan belt noise - Aprilia
Yes, give the bearings a shot and see what happens.
Micra fan belt noise - Xileno {P}
Duck oil is often used on the belts.
Micra fan belt noise - yorkiebar
Really dont think its the duck thats making the noise though !
Some web sites advise taking the dipstick and dabbing a spot of engine oil on the belt.
Surely this, or any sort of oil, will increase belt slippage?

Mike
Micra fan belt noise - Dynamic Dave
I know that spraying WD40 on the fan belt itself is a definite no no.

It won't do the belt any harm if it does get on it. It was an "old trick" that a garage once showed me to stop my cambelt on my old Astra from making a 'whispy' type noise for a few months.
Micra fan belt noise - yorkiebar
Wow ! Never put oil an a cambelt ! Ok light amount on a fan belt but cam belt is definite no!

Any failure of that belt and the manufacturer will automatically cite oil contamination !
Micra fan belt noise - Dynamic Dave
OK, to clarify further, the cambelt wasn't doused in wd-40, merely a quick squirting was applied. Didn't seem to harm the belt and when changed 30,000 miles later (recommended cambelt interval for an Astra back then, before they changed it to 40,000 / 4 yrs) the belt didn't show any signs of deterioration.