Your Biggest Repair/service Bill?? - leef
My mate has a Honda Civic on an X-Plate, done around 55,000 miles. On his last service the garage found a ton of problems, brake discs and pads need replacing, new radiator, new shocks, exhaust had a smallish hole and needed replacing etc etc. anyway by the time he had everything done and paid for the full service he got a bill of just over £1300!!! he was considering just scrapping the car but decided to have it all done.

So to my question!... whats the biggest bill you have received for your car when its been in the garage?....

Lee
Your Biggest Repair/service Bill?? - George Porge
About £320 for the cambelt on my 2001 Golf TDi, it was'nt done at the same time as the service, so I should really say £480 including the service.

I've owned VWs for 11 years and thats the biggest bill by far, but do like to get my hands dirty myself ;o)
Your Biggest Repair/service Bill?? - LeePower
Around £850 for a major service, cambelt, clutch & other repairs to the brakes on my old 405.
Your Biggest Repair/service Bill?? - leef
Cambelt snapped on my old clio a few years ago and I think that cost me around £600... that stung the VISa card a bit!
Your Biggest Repair/service Bill?? - Happy Blue!
new cambelt on a 605 £1500
Your Biggest Repair/service Bill?? - jonno
£400 for cambelt & variator on my Alfa, £300 parts(!) and £100 labour.
Your Biggest Repair/service Bill?? - cabsmanuk
In the region of £3500 for a new engine in my Sharan after the idiot who changed the cambelt fitted it incorrectly.
Your Biggest Repair/service Bill?? - machika
In the region of £3500 for a new engine in my
Sharan after the idiot who changed the cambelt fitted it incorrectly.

You had to pay for his mistake?
Your Biggest Repair/service Bill?? - Lounge Lizard
1995, service on Jaguar XJ6 (1991, 85,000 miles) at Jaguar main-dealer.

Bill was £2250.
Your Biggest Repair/service Bill?? - Falkirk Bairn
. On his last service the garage found a ton
of problems, brake discs and pads need replacing, new radiator, new
shocks, exhaust had a smallish hole and needed replacing etc
etc. anyway by the time he had everything done and paid
for the full service he got a bill of just over
£1300!!! he was considering just scrapping the car but decided to
have it all done.

I too have a 2000 Civic - Mgt Light came on and took it to a Honda Dealer.
£61 to put the light out......but the sting was in the tail:-

They noticed and asked permission to do the following
1)New Discs and pads on the front as the disks are corroded
2)New bushes in rear suspension
3)New AC Condenser
4)Rheostat on fan speed ( I told them this)
5) New Cat recommended

I paid the £61 bill and took it to an independent
1)Disks fine - no corrosion
2)Bushes fine especially after 83K
3)Suggested a fill of gas
4)New rheostat needed

AN Other Honda Dealer
1) Disks thinning but not corroded OK in meantime
2) New Tyre needed as it was 3 mm(fair enough)
3)New rheostat (agreed)
4)AC Gas fill (Agreed)

If I had told the No 1 Honda dealer to go ahead the bill would have been £800-£1000 (easily)

The independent said £30 for switch + £15 labour, £70 for gas = £115

2nd Honda Dealer - £215 for disks & pads, £80 AC gas, £60 rheostat = £455 + Micheline tyre @ £62 (Makro Michelin £43)

A degree of "upselling" looks to be involved

As there are no safety issues I have left it all to the next service in the New Year @ the Independent (I am sure I can trust him)
Your Biggest Repair/service Bill?? - DP
Mine will come, I suspect, in the next 12 months when the (very high biting) clutch on the Mondeo eventually starts to slip. I don't expect any change out of £500 as there's no way I'm dropping the subframe on my driveway!

I've been pretty lucky really. Never had a major failure or bill on any car I've owned. A combination of DIY work, the use of secondhand bits from breakers yards where safe (no brakes, tyres or suspension bits, but anything else goes basically) and a good helping of luck.

Worst I've heard of was my brother-in-law whose 60,000 mile Passat TDI 130 needed a new clutch and DMF (bad judder!). Cost him just over a grand!
Your Biggest Repair/service Bill?? - Statistical outlier
I've had quite extensive dealings with Honda UK. I think they would be very interested in hearing about the above - their interest in good customer service appears quite genuine. 01753 590760.
Your Biggest Repair/service Bill?? - madf
£240 cambelt change Audi A4 tdi. - highest charge for anything ever - company cars or diy...

madf
Your Biggest Repair/service Bill?? - Martin1981
Replacement engine on my 306TD after head gasket failure, total cost £575- £325 for second hand engine from scrappy and £250 to fit inc new cambelt, oil, filters, coolant etc. Had a few quotes all around the £500 mark for replacing the head gasket, so I thought I'd bite the bullet and get a lower mileage engine fitted. Car has done over 30k in that time with no problems at all.

Martin
Your Biggest Repair/service Bill?? - artful dodger {P}
Clutch replacement on my Fiat Marea Weekend 2.4 Turbo diesel was a touch expensive. The fit in the engine compartment is very tight due to the 5 cylinder engine only just being shoehorned in. The procedure is to drop the n/s front suspension and then remove the gearbox - 8½ hours labour. The Fiat dealer quoted a horrendous amount using a recon clutch kit. After shopping around at places I would trust to do the work, I could not reduce the cost anywhere else. The only saving was to get an OEM clutch kit from buypartsbuy.co.uk (can recommend them) and paying the Fiat dealer for the labour. Total cost 2 years ago was still just over £800 - ouch! The only good thing was they lent me a car for 2 days for free.

About 12 years ago I had a Nissan Micra that broke the cam belt requiring 2 new valves. Also had a full service and new front discs and pads. This bill was about £650. Also on this car I had the 3rd gear synchromesh break about 9 years ago and had the gearbox rebuilt for £450. These were both big bills for a small car.

--
Roger
I read frequently, but only post when I have something useful to say.
Your Biggest Repair/service Bill?? - bell boy
£105 for a windscreen fitted in a clio...........i still cry about the cost
Your Biggest Repair/service Bill?? - MVP
Not sure if this counts, but I had just had my E-type resprayed.

Two weeks later, It was the anual JDC track day at Goodwood.

We stayed at a nearby hotel the night before, next morning I went outside to admire my beautiful gleaming car, but damm , noticed a small scratch on the top of the bonnet. Some moggie had slept on my big cat.

Anyway off to the track day. I was on my 3rd session of the day, driving like a dream, when suddenly it all went horribly wrong - the back end came round 270 degrees and we went into the tyrewall, span a bit further to hear a sickening crunch as the bonnet made contact.

Anyway, repairs were about £6,500, but I din't have to worry about the cat scratch anymore...
Your Biggest Repair/service Bill?? - Menzies
£2000 quoted for the injection system to be repaired on my Mondeo tdci. Just for good measure they also told me that the clutch would soon need replacing and they 'recommend flywheel replacement at the same time'. That would be another £800-900 then.
So that's £2800+ to keep a not very old and not very high mileage Mondoe on the road, it was still just under warranty in fact. And Ford are supposed to be makers of 'peoples cars'??
Fortunately I managed to trade the car for a Honda so managed to dodge that particular elephant trap.
Your Biggest Repair/service Bill?? - cheddar
IRO £1000, £650 for a 60,000 mile cambelt job on my V6 Vectra plus a service and new plugs & leads. It makes the possibility (as opposed to necessity) of a few CR diesel related repairs on my chain cam Mondeo TDCi that is now on 111,000 miles seem quite reasonable in comparison, particularly when it has used £5000 less fuel in that time and saved me a lot in BiK when I ran it on the company.
Your Biggest Repair/service Bill?? - Group B
Biggest repair bill, £550 due to blown head gasket on Mk.3 Golf, including welding cracked head and new cam belt. A lot of beer money but it could have been worse if I'd bought a recon head.

Silliest price paid for a single part was £140 for a coolant hose, a pre-formed rubber and metal one that goes under the rear of the engine on a Pug 405 Mi16. £140 for a four foot long tube! That was part only, I then had to pay someone £30 to fit it for me, no way was I going to let the main dealer do it...

;o)
Your Biggest Repair/service Bill?? - tyro
Funny how often the words "cam" and "belt" keep coming up on this thread.

I'd always driven chain cam cars until I got my Berlingo. On the next service, you'll never guess what is due. . . . :-(

Good advert for sticking to chains.
Your Biggest Repair/service Bill?? - tr7v8
Funny how often the words "cam" and "belt" keep coming up
on this thread.
I'd always driven chain cam cars until I got my Berlingo.
On the next service, you'll never guess what is due.
. . . :-(
Good advert for sticking to chains.

That's great until they break or need replacing. Saab, Vauxhalls & the biggy the V6 in the Galaxy, reckoned to die around the 70-100K mark!

Your Biggest Repair/service Bill?? - ForumNeedsModerating
"..That's great until they break or need replacing. Saab, Vauxhalls & the biggy the V6 in the Galaxy, reckoned to die around the 70-100K mark! .."

Biggest scam in motors today, imho. Why make an engine with a 'life' threatening weakness (bent valves, top-end re-build etc)
when the chain-cam alternative is (and was) the generally accepted as the best engineering solution.

Solution: Check the engine spec b4 the toy spec.

~woodbines

Your Biggest Repair/service Bill?? - George Porge
"..That's great until they break or need replacing. Saab, Vauxhalls &
the biggy the V6 in the Galaxy, reckoned to die around
the 70-100K mark! .."
Biggest scam in motors today, imho. Why make
an engine with a 'life' threatening weakness (bent valves,
top-end re-build etc)
when the chain-cam alternative is (and was) the
generally accepted as the best engineering solution.
Solution: Check the engine spec b4 the toy
spec.
~woodbines

My B-I-Ls 3 cylinder Corsa has just had its second chain replaced under warranty, its 27 months old and has done 20K miles. In 1994 my fathers 92K plate Sierra snapped its chain at 24K miles, the chain took with it all the sprockets / guides / cover / and brackets. Thats on top of all the bent valves and broken valve guides.

I'll take a belt driven cam everytime thanks
Your Biggest Repair/service Bill?? - Geordie1
£1100 for replacement cylinder head on my wifes Suzuki Vitara JLX SE Auto LWB after she drove it without water for a few miles!

It was out of warranty but full marks to Suzuki GB who paid half of the bill as a gesture of good will!

Geordie
Your Biggest Repair/service Bill?? - rtj70
My 3 year + 4 week old Mondeo has cost a fair bit this week. Don't know the cost of parts because the lease company will pay. Took it in due to it reving strangely (I thought EGR again or slipping clutch). It's only got about 47k on the clock and they first found:

- Diesel leak to the injection system (1 hour fix time)
- Rear subframe bushes split (1.3 hours)
- Front and rear break disks replaced (0.9 hours each)
- 50k service (early but the others were all before 12500)

And then it still was not right so they said clutch is slipping. Car is now having the clutch and flywheel replaced and was told it takes about 4-5 hours, so lets call that 5 hours.

The dealer charges £75/hour and therefore without parts and excluding the service the car has cost over £680 in labour alone. And how much is a clutch and flywheel for a Mondeo TDCi?

I am so glad I'm not paying that.
Your Biggest Repair/service Bill?? - mike hannon
750 quid for service, MOT and two new top rear suspension arms and bushes fitted on the Honda Legend Coupe - they were (apparently) the only bits exclusive to the coupe and not interchangeable with anything labelled Rover 800! I thought long and hard before buying the Legend and told myself not to moan about bills like that if they came along and just enjoy the benefits. It was the only time it stung me in 60k hard miles - servicing, tyres and fuel didn't really cost much at all.
Your Biggest Repair/service Bill?? - cheddar
- Rear subframe bushes split (1.3 hours)>>

Mine lasted 3.5 years and 100k miles, £80 parts + DIY + £35 lazer alignment.

- Front and rear break disks replaced (0.9 hours each)>>

My fronts lasted until 60,000 and then 108,000, I fitted the second set myself in 1.5 hours.

I am still on the original rear discs at 111,000, the first set of new rear pads were fitted at 105,000.

>>Car is now having the clutch and flywheel replaced
and was told it takes about 4-5 hours, >>

Mine is on the original clutch at 111,000 no sign of wear.

Perhaps it is how you drive it ;-)

Your Biggest Repair/service Bill?? - Happy Blue!
I bought a Saab 9000 from a mate which had 72,000miles and a full Saab history. Before I bought it, I rang the dealers and questioned the cam belt change point. "It has a chain sir, they don't need changing and its a Saab - it's one of the best engineered cars in the world" quoth the service manager.

I bought the car and took it in for a service a few weeks later. I thought the engine a little rattley, so they had a look and said (guess what?) "its the cam chain sir - it needs changing; oh and the engine mounts need changing also". Luckily I had transferred the warranty which paid out in full. I sold the car and heard that the engine blew up a few weeks later. I understand the bill was over £1000 to do the warranty work.

I will never buy another Saab
Your Biggest Repair/service Bill?? - David Horn
£350 for a cambelt and water pump on my Xsara at local independent.
Your Biggest Repair/service Bill?? - Ed666
£1100 Gearbox on a X reg Clio RSi

Certainly not cheap!

Gearbox alone was £550 + VAT for Renault Recon
Your Biggest Repair/service Bill?? - Bromptonaut
Had bigger cash bills since, but in real terms probably the £370 to sort a displaced cylinder liner in a Pug104 c1983.
Your Biggest Repair/service Bill?? - Martin1981
'£350 for a cambelt and water pump on my Xsara at local independent'

Assuming this is the Xsara 1.9TD XUD, £350 to me seems rather expensive for a cambelt and water pump. I'd have thought £200-220 would have been more realistic- I paid £140 three years ago at a local indepedndent to have the cambelt changed on my 306TD, I would have thought no more than an extra £60-70 for doing the water pump as well.

Martin
Your Biggest Repair/service Bill?? - Westpig
after a weary divorce, decided i was going to spend some money on my pride and joy (Triumph 2000 mk1) which had been languishing in the garage with a very rattly engine..

towed it to Devon, where a small village garage did me a deal for labour that was well cheaper than London..and had the engine done...then a few more things crept into the equation, as whilst the engine is out it might be worth giving it a tidy up in the engine bay, as that was the scruffiest part of the car......and whilst the spray gun is out, why not do the rust properly on the lip of the o/s/f wing.........and then..........

so it went on..........the bill was £3,300....... (and that didn't include fitting a tow hitch to my main driving car & trailer hire, fuel etc)......for a car that was worth £2,000 absolute max, probably nearer £1,500.

oh well, that was 9 years ago and i've still got the thing...never to be sold......was worth it to me

Your Biggest Repair/service Bill?? - rtj70
Bushes are down to all the speed humps around where we live. I cannot get anywhere without going over about 6 full size speed humps. And then 6 on the way back.

Clutch will probably be due to a problem that was there all along - always had a very high biting point and it doesn't on the new one. On a steep hill in the lakes it slipped about 13 months (and over 20k miles ago). Got it checked and Ford said it was fine but never know why it slipped that time. I even posted on here about it and someone said it would last 1000 miles. Driven the same road in VWs before and they were fine.

As for brake disks... I think they are fleecing the Lease company. I found nothing wrong with how they were working and at the last service they did not note anything and it passed it's MOT a few weeks ago fine. They claim the fronts were 80% worn an the rears 99% worn!!!! I actually do not believe them.

But I don't pay the bills and apparently the car is getting close to being outside of the lease company's maintenance budget.

Of course it probably is how I drive it ;-)
Your Biggest Repair/service Bill?? - Aprilia
To a large extent clutches, brakes etc. tend to wear dependent on the type of use the car gets. Obviously a car used for cruising up and down the motorway will not suffer much in the way of clutch or brake wear. A car used in mainly city driving will.....
Some cars do last much better than others. We sold my wife's 2.0i Primera early this year. It was 8 years old, used for mainly local driving (so loads of short runs), at least 14 speed humps a day (7 each way), never garaged - always outside. Still all original including battery and exhaust. It only ever had service items apart from one seatbelt that was renewed under warranty. Never any advisories on MoT. No play at all in the suspension.
Your Biggest Repair/service Bill?? - SteVee
The 5 year service on my MGF cost £1600+ - with cambelt replacement, some serious work on the brakes and some suspension work. The car was a lot better afterwards (!)
The 6 year service was nearly £600, and the 7 year service was over £400.
The 8 year service was a mere £200 but just two months later, the steel underfloor coolant pipes ruptured despite being replaced at the 7 year service !

The car was then replaced by a Mazda 6 which is far, far cheaper. Surprisingly, it also handles better - except for pulling away.

It like to say the MGF was cheaper in the first five years, but It would be a lie - I just don't have the bills to hand. The broken gearbox and twice broken engine were covered by warranty though.

Depreciation? oh yes please! lots !
Your Biggest Repair/service Bill?? - Ian D
1998 Impreza turbo, clutch and flywheel change - £880
Your Biggest Repair/service Bill?? - perleman
6!! You lucky beggar. I live in the borough of Camden and pretty much every road I can think of has speed bumps, I probably go over 20 each way every day just leaving the borough to get to work. On topic though, Largest repair bill:

On my Fiesta iv 1.3i, only 1 cylinder of the engine worked due to engine running dry of oil once. Ford wanted £1650 to replace the engine. So instead I traded it for a Golf GTi which then suffered clutch failure. Managed to get that replaced under warranty (£700 bill) on condition I payed for the clutch plate (£120) - feels like I got off lightly...

Your Biggest Repair/service Bill?? - Birdman
The biggest repair bill I NEVER had was, well, quite small actually. But it was for a VW cam belt, which seems to feature in this thread and elsewhere on the site too (and it saved my daughter the equivalent of a month's rent). See: www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=37741

She was sold a used VW Golf by a franchised dealer in March of this year. While she was abroad I booked it in for a service and was told it needed a new cam belt at £280, since it had passed the 4 years/60K mark. It wasn't long before learned this had been VW policy for 6 months BEFORE she bought it from them, as a 4 year old car. Over to you Mr Dealer.

They were very good about it, but then I had them over a barrel. The subtext of the ensuing discussion was that they had hoped to get away with it. How do I know this? Their service department became oh so coy when I asked them exactly when the 4 year/60K life had become VW policy (as if).

I do wonder how many other franchised VW sales teams have been playing this trick. I only got involved because my daughter was away when the service came up and I took it on myself to be the good daddy. Otherwise, knowing her, she would have paid for it out of her junior staff nurse salary and I would have been none the wiser.

It begs the question I've seen raised over and again, Why did VW of all companies choose to go for such shoddy wear items. Mercedes went down this path years ago and by golly miss molly, it's still paying the price. {link to The Times removed - DD}

Ah well, at least my rust-enhanced Mercedes has an honest old-fashioned teutonic timing chain....
Your Biggest Repair/service Bill?? - 659FBE
It rather looks as though VW are up to their old tricks in respect of the Skoda Superb. Apparently this car (old shape Passat with long wheelbase) when fitted with the 140 HP 4 cylinder Euro Cat 4 diesel engine is giving all kinds of problems with the particulate filter and Skoda are being less than cooperative. Details on BRISKODA website.

It's a pity, because I had hoped that Skoda would retain its growing reputation for honest dealing. As a more general point, I can see the particulate filters for these latest diesels being a major maintenance expense, nullifying the considerable advantages of a decent diesel engine.

Your Biggest Repair/service Bill?? - Edward
£1000 last year for Synergie HDI headgasket (engine out job) 2002 45k miles.
Thank God for Warranty Direct.
Your Biggest Repair/service Bill?? - L'escargot
It's bound to be a talking point for the minority who have had large repair bills, but for the majority who have never had a large repair bill it's a non-event. In 41 years of motoring I can only think of one occasion when my car needed more than routine servicing or replacement of normal wear and tear items, and that was because I was young and foolish at the time and had thrashed that particular car unmercilously right from the time I bought it new.
--
L\'escargot.
Your Biggest Repair/service Bill?? - Birdman
Interesting p.o.v. but how do you know the majority have not had what they consider to be a large repair bill? Perhaps we can expect to see a new thread along the lines of 'Your tiniest repair/service bill??' - just for the edification of the majority, of course?
Your Biggest Repair/service Bill?? - GeordieGuy
£700 for a standard clutch on a MK2 Mondeo. I declined the 'offer', sold the vehicle for £300 on Ebay for parts and bought something else. Seems we're in the age of disposable cars where the costs of relatively routine items can outstrip the actual value of a mid-life vehicle. Madness, but I guess this is one of the reasons why the value of older vehicles is at an all-time low. Interesting to note that lots of the big bills as mentioned are for work on relatively new vehicles.
Interesting Post!
Andrew
Your Biggest Repair/service Bill?? - retgwte
had a CVT belt on a Ford Auto snap and wreck the gearbox casing, cost a fortune, about a grand I seem to remember

had a cam belt snap on a Vectra but as it was pretty new Vauxhall did the decent thing and did it for free, was told the valves had hit the pistons and it would have been 2.5 K if I was paying, although recon engines are cheaper
I can see the particulate filters for these latest diesels being
a major maintenance expense, nullifying the considerable advantages of a decent
diesel engine.

Frightening amounts were being quoted for PSA HDI engines not long ago. The amount for an exchange unit is much less, thankfully. Still not a cheap item though.
Single most expensive item was on our C5, for a new electric window winding mechanism. Approx £400.
Your Biggest Repair/service Bill?? - tyro
Single most expensive item was on our C5, for a new
electric window winding mechanism. Approx £400.

Ouch.

I have a strong prefernce for non-electric windows, partly out of the belief that they are less likely to go wrong. I may be mistaken in that belief, but I would hope that if they do go wrong, the cost of repair for a non-electric window would be a lot smaller.

Alas, with most cars on the market these days, manual windows are not an option.