Passat TDI 130 revs racing when started - passat lover
Hi. I have a 2002 Passat TDI 130 sport, which is a great car. Recently though on occasions when I start it, the revs race to c 3000 RPM very briefly before dropping to the normal level. Has anyone else had a similar problem, or know what it might be. I'd like to have an idea before I take it to a garage. Could it be something to do with the turbo, or airflow meter? Any help appreciated. Cheers
Passat TDI 130 revs racing when started - caesar
My focus revs rise and then fall when i come to a standstill for about the first minute of a cold start.
Looking on the focus forums its a pretty common fault and is mostly the idle speed control valve or a leaking vacuum pipe.
Dont know if the vws suffer the same faulty parts but the symptoms sound the same.
Thanks. I'm hoping it's something simple like a hose or pipe. It's due for a service now, but like I say, I'd rather have an idea what it might be so that they can try that first rather than guessing.
Passat TDI 130 revs racing when started - Screwloose
passat lover

Might be a coolant temp sensor issue.
Passat TDI 130 revs racing when started - node
Agree with Screwloose on temp sender as likely cause .

This is a known fault on the pre PD TDIs and this sounds so similar

Had exactly the same symptoms on a 110 TDI AFN engine code and after replacement of the temp sender all was well. That defaulted to limp home mode but over revved on start up to 3000 rpm and immediately dropped back to idle. Not sure if VAG COM will log this ? Have you had a chance to get any fault codes read?
Would strongly advise that you do that rather than sequential component replacement

I think GSF do these pretty cheaply now and replacement is dead simple.

Would be interested in resolution update if you have time.

Passat TDI 130 revs racing when started - Roly93
Would strongly advise that you do that rather than sequential component
replacement

I've always called this phenomenon 'credit card troubleshooting' !
Thanks all that have responded so far. I'll ask for this to be checked/replaced first and let you know if it resolves it, unless anyone else has any other suggestions.
Passat TDI 130 revs racing when started - Mungo
Hi. I'd agree that it's almost definitely the temp sensor. I had same problem this year, faulty temp sensor was diagnosed and problem was solved.
Passat TDI 130 revs racing when started - L.Cleaver1
Agree - coolant temperature sensor was shot on mine - exactly the same symptoms. The bit is about £20 and 5-10 mins to fit..........