V5 Registration not signed - horsepills
Hi.

I've just bought a used car from a local dealer, who gave me the complete V5 certificate to send off for new registration. Unfortunately though, I've just noticed today that the previous owner hasn't signed or dated the previouse "registered keeper" section - so I have the entire V5 with no signatures at all.
I'm certain the car isn't stolen or anything, but how do I go about registering the car as mine without the previous owner's signature??

Top Reply

V5 Registration not signed - pd
Just send it off with it blank if your'e worried about it - they never take much notice. The dealers name will not be anywhere on the V5 - it is not meant to be. Providing the dealer sent off the yellow (dealer) section to the DVLA so they have the car recorded as "in the trade" they will issue the new V5 quickly whether signed or not.

All Replies

V5 Registration not signed - stunorthants
Its bad practice by the dealer, but ive had this in the past and just signed my version of the previous owners name and had no probs getting the new V5.

The purpose of the V5 is just about responsibility for the car and all they are really interested in is who is currently responsible for it.
Couldn't I get done for faking the signature though? I mean, if it did turn out to be stolen or summat, surely they'd lock me up and throw away the key. I'd be doing 10-20 in chokey
V5 Registration not signed - Wales Forester
They'd have to prove it was you that faked the signature.
I too have had this problem, dealers can be very sloppy getting part exchanging customers to complete the V5 properly.
I would sign the previous keeper section in their name, maybe use a different pen and get your partner or someone else to sign the name for you so there aren't any similarities.
If the previous keeper is local maybe they could still sign it for you.

Of course you could just sign your bit and send it off as is, but that might cause delays in the long run while DVLA check with the previous keeper.
V5 Registration not signed - Pugugly {P}
don't fake it - its wrong.
V5 Registration not signed - Dynamic Dave
I thought providing you inform them that you are the new owner, then that makes the previous owners details null and void.

If the previous owner didn't fill out relevant bit of the V5 then that was their lookout. Had the vehicle been caught by a speed camera or parking ticket issued, after they had sold it / traded it in (whatever) then they are still responsible for payment of fines ammassed.

Just send it off filling in the parts that you need to fill in and sign.
If it still worries you though, then get the garage who you bought the car from to do all the legwork.
V5 Registration not signed - Simon
>>I thought providing you inform them that you are the new owner, then that makes the previous owners details >>null and void.

It used to but I think that the DVLA have tightened up their practices a bit more, ie if the previous keeper doesn't send in the old V5 informing the DVLA that they have sold the vehicle on, the DVLA will not issue a new V5 until they have written to the former keeper asking whether this is correct. Its not so complex as it sounds, the DVLA fire off a letter to the previous keeper to tell them that someone is trying to register 'their' car, and to contact them (the DVLA) only if this is not right. If the DVLA hear nothing after a couple of weeks they just produce the new V5 in the new owners name.

As for what to do in this situation, I would just fill it in and send it off. If that involves putting a squiggle on part of it that someone else should have signed then so be it. Its only a form to get a logbook in your own name. It is very sloppy practice of the dealer though, and they ought to do a lot better. Go for the simple option and just complete it yourself.
V5 Registration not signed - jc2
You did not buy it from the previous owner,you bought it from the dealer;the V5 should have his name/stamp whatever on it;if it hasn't go back and get it done.
The dealer should fill in the second half of "8" and the whole of "9" whether or not the previous owner has signed his bit-if the dealer won't do this there is something suspicious about the car's history.
aaahh - part 9 is missing!
"9" may be missing because the dealer may have done what he is supposed to do which is inform the DVLA that the car is his property but he should also sign the second half of "8" before you send it off.
V5 Registration not signed - Lud

Quite.

Constructively forgetting who was driving or 'not noticing' how fast you are going is one thing. Signing someone else's name on an official document is forgery.

A lady sitting next to me on a plane in Africa once asked me to fill in her landing card. I did. She asked me to sign it for her too. I said I couldn't do that. She said OK and got someone else to!

I countersigned someone's passport application quite recently. Unfortunately my signature, or part of it, went outside the box. I tippexed that bit out and altered it slightly to stay inside the box. The passport office turned it down. Instead of coming back to me with another form, the idiot signed my name (nothing like my signature!) just to save himself a bit of time. Very embarrassing indeed, as I certainly wasn't going to say that was my signature.

Some people are almost unbelievably thick. Of course I don't mean anyone here - former owner forgery is hardly a crime. But I still wouldn't do it.
Very embarrassing indeed, as I certainly wasn't going to say that was my signature.

Given that the last few I've signed have resulted in a follow up phone call from the Passport Office of late

As well as being illegal its ethically and morally wrong. Makes you a bad person.
V5 Registration not signed - Lud
ethically and morally wrong. Makes
you a bad person.

Not necessarily bad, PU, but legally indistinguishable from a bad person...
touché
V5 Registration not signed - Wales Forester
Steady on PU, i've faked it in the past rather than wait forever and a day for DVLA to check with previous keeper etc.
Yes it's technically wrong, but it's not a firing squad offence old chap.
I've just checked on the DVLA website and there is a form I can complete for when you do not have a V5 registration form, or have lost it. It's a V62 "Application for a registration certificate" - it takes a bit longer for the registration to take place, but it's probably the safest option for me so I'll complete one of these.

Just want to say thanks to all those who offered advice.
V5 Registration not signed - Galaxy
If you use a V62 form it will take approximately 6 weeks to be processed, during which time you will be unable to tax, and, therefore, unable to use the car, unless it's already taxed. Also, strictly speaking, the V62 form isn't really applicable to your case since you already have a V5.

Have you thought about telephoning the DVLA, explaining the situation to them, and asking their advice about how you should proceed?

When my father passed away a couple of years ago it was necessary for me to transfer the ownership of his car to myself. His name was on the V5 and, quite clearly, he was not able to sign the transfer section. I contacted the DVLA and, after explaining the situation to them, I was asked to complete the V5 and sign it myself. I was told, however, not to sign the previous owner section and leave it blank. The only other thing they required was a letter explaining the situation to them.

V5 Registration not signed - Sim-O
In this situation, i would just fill in my part of the V5, if it takes a little longer to get it back then, so what?

I bought a car once after 6 months didn't get a V5 back. Only realised when I was going to get some tax.
Downloaded a form from the interweb, filled it out then went to my local DVLA office, with insurance & MOT. Got some tax and a new V5 ordered.
It took about 6 weeks to arrive.
----------------------------------------------
Aim low, expect nothing & dont be disappointed
V5 Registration not signed - pd
Just send it off with it blank if your'e worried about it - they never take much notice. The dealers name will not be anywhere on the V5 - it is not meant to be. Providing the dealer sent off the yellow (dealer) section to the DVLA so they have the car recorded as "in the trade" they will issue the new V5 quickly whether signed or not.