Corsa 1.4 engine flooded - davegl
The car (a 2002 Vauxhall Corsa 1.4 petrol) stalled in the middle of an 12" deep puddle and the engine will now not turn over. The starter motor engages and the lights dim when attempting to start. Suspect that water has got into the engine and perhaps causing a hydraulic lock. The oil does not appear to be contaminated with water.
Is it a matter of removing the spark plugs turning the engine over to eject any water then after it is running OK change the oil.
Thanks for your help folks,
Dave
Corsa 1.4 engine flooded - Collos25
If you have sucked water into the air intake then it will be a little more serious.
Thanks Andy.
I accept it may be more serious but is it worth removing the plugs etc as I suggested.
Thanks,
Dave
Corsa 1.4 engine flooded - Dynamic Dave
If it has hydraulically locked because of water in the cylinders, then that means water in the air filter, injection system etc as it would have had to pass through these to get into the engine.

You first need to ascertain whether water has got into the engine by removing the plugs and turning the engine over by hand (to save any further damage). as you will be able to feel any resistance; whereas you won't if you just go ahead and crank it over with the starter motor.

Other things to consider - broken cambelt. Take off cover and check.

Don't want to unecessarily worry you further, but when a friend of mine hydraulically locked his Astra diesel engine, one of the conrods got bent.

If and when you can get the engine spinning over by hand, then start cleaning out the injection and air system.

Once all clean, spin the engine over with the starter motor to further aid expelling water from the cylinders.

Clean and put the plugs back in and hope for the best. If it runs, with no adverse problems, last thing to do is to chainge the oil and count your blessings that you got away without major engine damage.
Thanks Dave.
From another Dave
Corsa 1.4 engine flooded - piston power
are you sure water is in the engine and just not wet electrics? id try clean those terminal connections on the starter maybe just a bad one? if there is water in those cylinder's you can shringe the water out. good luck.
Thanks guys for all your input.
After taking the plugs out there was some water lying in cylinders one and two and we were unable to turn the engine by hand. So it looks like we're out of luck and done some serious mechanical damage.
Dave
Corsa 1.4 engine flooded - braindead
smashed rings ?
Corsa 1.4 engine flooded - Dynamic Dave
we were unable to turn the engine by hand.

When I said "by hand" in my earlier post, I hope you didn't take that literally? Did you use a socket and rachet on the crankshaft pulley to try and turn the engine?

It *might* need a bit more force to try and shift things. Have you tried putting the car in gear and pulling the car forwards? As the engine is sounding like it's knackered anyway, there isn't much left to lose by trying.

Failing that, just take a chance and try spinning the motor over with the starter.
Corsa 1.4 engine flooded - mfarrow
It *might* need a bit more force to try and shift
things. Have you tried putting the car in gear and pulling
the car forwards?

Do this in a high gear to make life easier!

I hydraulically locked my car once with Redex, and didn't do it any harm, but then again the engine wasn't stopped at speed!

I would take plugs out and run starter to blow water out, allow cylinders to dry out, replace plugs and restart. As Dave says, if the engine's knackered anyway then you've got nothing to gain with a softly-softly approach IMHO.

--------------
Mike Farrow