406 HDI Timing Belt - diesel.weasel
Hi,

I am looking for some help on the timing belt for a peugeot 406 hdi. I have just bought this car and as partof the deal the dealer said he would change the timing belt. Not trusting car sales men the first thing I did when I got the car home was to remove the timing belt cover and have a look. The belt does not look glossy as the previous belts I have changed when new.

Also their are no markings on the belt, I turned the engine over a full revolution and have seen nothing. In my experience the markings on the belt tend to fade or dissapear with age.

My question is, what does a new HDI timing belt look like? should it have markings on it, or have a glossy finish? Any thoughts would be welcome.

Thanks in advance
406 HDI Timing Belt - 659FBE
Looks as though the dealer is puling a fast one. The new belt should have markings - Maker's name, part number, date code and lines for reference teeth on the back (smooth side). These will stay visible for several thousands of miles.

A new belt also has a very distinctive "rubbery" smell, especially when the engine is hot. It takes several thousand miles also for this to disappear as the volatile components in the rubber disperse. Belts can be either matt or glossy on the back depending on the supplier.

Best of luck with the dealer on this one - they don't like spending money on "sold" cars. The water pump is a weakness on these engines; check carefully.

406 HDI Timing Belt - Galaxy
My brother bought a 5 year old Mondeo that had only done 12,000 miles. However, since it was 5 years old he had the cambelt changed. The garage gave him the belt and the other bits back.

As 659FBE rightly says, the cambelt markings were still clearly visible after this mileage so I'm sorry to report that your car dealer is telling you porkies! The markings don't disappear in a few days, so your cambelt isn't new at all.