Van to fit a garage door in - martnewts
I need to collect a garage door which I have purchased on Ebay and need to hire a van to do so. The question is what ven can I hire which will be big enough. The garage door is 7 foot by 7 foot but including the frame the dimensions are 87" by 87" and the depth is a standard garage door depth so no more than say 4 or 5 inches. What van would this fit in??
Van to fit a garage door in - Chris M
A large one!

When I fitted a new garage door, I sold the old one in the local paper. It was 7ft x 7ft but without the frame. The chap turned up in a LDV 400 i.e. the larger of the two vans they made. The door did not fit inside with the van doors closed due to the wheel arches being in the way.

Depending on how far you have to travel, I think a ladder rack would work. Tie a couple of 8ft planks to the rack, one on each side and then secure the door to them. Drive steadily & don't go too fast otherwise you may take off!.
Van to fit a garage door in - Chris M
Forgot to mention. The LDV 400 was a high roof ex Post Office model.
Van to fit a garage door in - George Porge
Why not a pickup? Or maybe a van with a glaziers side rack fitted?
Van to fit a garage door in - AR-CoolC
I would think realisticly you are looking at a luton van or one of the larger Peugeot Boxer/Renault Master type vans.
Van to fit a garage door in - legacylad
Do you know anyone with a horse box. I do!!
Van to fit a garage door in - jc2
I used a roof rack with a ladder each side and the door on top of the ladders.
Van to fit a garage door in - Mapmaker
Oh the joy of eBay. Is there a man with a van you can hire? There's a very nice Polish chap near me who has a large van for £30 per two hours.

How far have you got to go?
Van to fit a garage door in - martnewts
It will definitely have to be a van as the other more precarious arrangements wouldnt be suitable for a trip from somerset to sussex and back!!
Van to fit a garage door in - Mapmaker
That's going to cost you £100 and a day, isn't it; must be one heck of a door! What about a courier? try pharos-international.co.uk who buy up surplus space from UPS.
Van to fit a garage door in - artful dodger {P}
You might find it a lot cheaper to arrange a carrier to collect and deliver it.

--
Roger
I read frequently, but only post when I have something useful to say.