Hug a chav - Lud
On one of the channels the other night, crazed (but clever) virago Julie Burchill presented a long programme in defence of chavs. She spent a lot of time sideswiping chav-haters, something she does quite effectively, and to my absolute amazement had a meeting of minds with traditional Tory writer (and one-time Macmillan speechwriter) Ferdinand Mount.

Her theory, with which Ferdy Mount agreed, was that the use of the term chav, and the scorn poured on chavs for their vulgarity etc., represent a cruel and morally reprehensible attack on the white British working class, already beleaguered by the destruction of the country's manufacturing industries.

Thought-provoking indeed, and I couldn't help thinking of the invective poured on these honest young would-be workers on this forum sometimes. Almost makes me proud to drive a car HJ says is archetypally chav.
Hug a chav - Pugugly {P}
Never thought of it like that........I know some very decent hard working individuals who would be classed as Chavs on their night out.
Hug a chav - Martin Devon
Are the worms turning?
Hug a chav - Armitage Shanks {p}
Next thing we'll be told we have to admire the WAGs - as if! I won't quote the whole thing as mods will correctly say that it is non-motoring but the wife of a certain footballer who lives in Madrid was described, among other things, as looking like "Two dumplings nailed to an ironing board" which amused me slightly. The man in question drives a 100% bad tastedHumvee with 26 inch wheels and tyres like rubber bands!
Hug a chav - retgwte
i did not see the programme

however it is clear in these politically correct days one of the biggest "isms" is alive and well

that is anti working class "ism", and prejudice against folk with council estate roots, the talking down many folk with such accents or roots get in day to day life is often amazing

and in many sectors of society the public school boys still pull the strings one way or another

it is clear the "comedy" fashionable at the moment, little britain et al, would be outlawed if it was aimed at ethnic or sexual minorities rather than council estate dwellers

really there are many clever folk on council estates out there, and the fact they get the worst schools and nhs non treatment going is in my view proven discrimination by the state

try telling this to a member of the politically correct right on crowd

Hug a chav - Lud
i did not see the programme

>>

You would have liked it retgwte. I did, and I have a very nuanced view of la Burchill. But she's clever.
Hug a chav - mare
Thought-provoking indeed, and I couldn't help thinking of the invective poured
on these honest young would-be workers on this forum sometimes. Almost
makes me proud to drive a car HJ says is archetypally
chav.

I can't stand the use of the word "underclass" either. Pops up on this forum from time to time, today in fact.

I did try really hard to find a motoring link on this thread... PG