S-Max European COTY 2007 - type's'
IMO when you look at the contenders that is a fair result.
S-Max European COTY 2007 - artful dodger {P}
Full report in Telegraph Motoring at:
tinyurl.com/y9mmtt

I did read elsewhere that the Ford S-MAX did not get chosen by any of the judges as their first choice. It rated highly enough among all the judges to make it overall winner.

--
Roger
I read frequently, but only post when I have something useful to say.
S-Max European COTY 2007 - Imagos
Ford have struck gold with the S-Max. No suprise it won.

Does COTY really matter anymore though?

Does it turn into more sales? I suspect with the S-Max it will though.
S-Max European COTY 2007 - Lud
Typical COTY for the present day. No one really likes it, everyone thinks it's all right, that passes for the favourite although some of the judges probably really liked some of the other contenders, but others didn't, probably for the same reasons (e.g. Firm handling/hard ride; advanced styling/weird looking, etc.). I don't usually fancy the car of the year and I don't fancy this one although of course I'm sure it's excellent in many ways. Just don't like cars that look like that, except perhaps Renault Vel Satis :o)
S-Max European COTY 2007 - Altea Ego
New specs needed lud. The Vel satis didnt look anything like the S Max. The Aventime did tho.

Ah the Aventime, Tears well in my eyes to think this magnificent creature got killed off.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
S-Max European COTY 2007 - Lud
They all look like silly little buses to me, although the VS looked a bit sillier... I think it was one of those that a French heavyweight intello of my acquaintance said was suddenly doing 180 ks in without really noticing... he was a bit shocked. Of course we would have been doing 220 and enjoying it...
S-Max European COTY 2007 - Pugugly {P}
Didn't those fine examples of the automotive art the Talbot Horizon and the Fiat Strada win this once upon a time ?
S-Max European COTY 2007 - oilrag
And the Ford anglia once was recommended as the car for the future over the newly introduced Mini back in 1959.......

Are the Diesel engines in this current award winning Ford still on cambelts? :)
S-Max European COTY 2007 - jc2
And the Talbot Solara-sales actually got into double figures in the UK.
S-Max European COTY 2007 - cheddar
Are the Diesel engines in this current award winning Ford still
on cambelts? :)

Good point, the S-Max and Galaxy use the Ford / PSA belt cam diesels as in the Focus, C-Max, V50, 407, C5 etc rather than the Ford / Jag chain cam units in the current Mondeo and X-Type.
S-Max European COTY 2007 - tyro
I did read elsewhere that the Ford S-MAX did not get
chosen by any of the judges as their first choice.

Not actually true

For voting figures, see www.caroftheyear.org/pages/Voting07.htm

S-Max only beat new Corsa by a whisker
Glad the Corsa didn't win. How can these journalists be so smitten by a car when it doesn't come with one of the basics..

A engine water temperature gauge.
S-Max European COTY 2007 - jacks
Reading the (excellent) link - it would appear 7 judges ( out of 57 )made it their overall favourite

the Citroen Picasso C4 was actually the favourite of 17 judges including all 6 French judges!

Jacks
S-Max European COTY 2007 - jacks
Also noted that none of Swedish - or indeed Norway/Finland/Denmark - rated the Volvo C30 ..............................probably absolutely sick of the sight of Volvos over there!!

wheras Andrew English put in right at the top of his list
Another point of note is that British judge Steve Cropley (editor in chief of Autocar magazine) is in fact Australian!
S-Max European COTY 2007 - tyro
One of the better points of the COTY web site is that one can read the reasons the different judges give for their decisions.

One of the more irritating points is that the translations into English of the non-anglophone contributors are pretty poor, and in some places verging on the incomprehensible - as if they had used Babelfish. Can they not find someone to do a proper translation?
S-Max European COTY 2007 - caesar
Gerhard Nöhrer

S-Max

About as sporty as a Van can get.

Good discription that!!
S-Max European COTY 2007 - DP
I commute 70 miles a day on busy motorways, and I have yet to see an S-Max on the road. What I have seen in abundance is the new Galaxy.

If I were in the market for a new family car, I would seriously look at it. I bet its brilliant with the Focus ST lump in it.

Cheers
DP
S-Max European COTY 2007 - Victorbox
Funny they didn't mention the Corsa was second with only three points between them!
S-Max European COTY 2007 - Ed V
Wow. A non-Italian winner!