passat 2.0cl - johnboy1967
looking for a second car for commuting and general runround.seen a 1995 passat2.0cl saloon with 78k miles fsh.main dealer registered and 1 owner.mot nov07, taxed june07.garage is looking for £950.any advice on these vehicles for recall or common problems.also is the price fair or a bit steep for a 1995 passat.all advice welcome.
passat 2.0cl - psi
I have 2 '96 passat 2.0cl estates, can't fault them - and they are both 100k plus. fuel economy is good, comfy ride, light steering and gearchange. headlights are pretty appaling though, and had to replace the PCV hose on both of them, both melted from the inside outwards :\ - looks like a design flaw but only cost about £12 each to replace! and I would be haggling on that 950 as well. does it have A/C? make sure you get the locking wheel nut if it has alloys like mine, this car should give you some serious trouble free mileage, and they have both cost pennies to run.
passat 2.0cl - johnboy1967
the car does not have a/c but does have alloys so will check on the locking wheel nut.didnt really want to spend over £800 on a car but the mileage and fsh + volkswagen reliability is making the dealer less keen on dropping his price.i might go to £850 but i reckon that would be my limit as i have also seen a 1995 audi 80 i.6se.84k miles with full vag history.mot aug07 no tax £600 private sale.
passat 2.0cl - DavidHM
Assuming the condition of the Audi is as good at least as the Passat, then it's hard to justify the extra for the Passat. Audi build quality will be at least as good as the Passat's although the engine will be slightly more complicated, being an early version of the 16v, 100 bhp unit rather than the old and tough 2.0 8v in the Passat.

Incidentally I'm pretty sure that the Passat does have air con although whether or not it still works after ten years is another matter.
passat 2.0cl - DavidHM
Attempted edit: if it were a 1996 Passat it would have air con, but it wouldn't have been standard on a 1995 and I misread the original post.
passat 2.0cl - dodo
If you are going to do longer runs the 2.0CL Passat is the better car. Check for electrics particularly windows and fan. I have an older model 2.0CL Passat estate (1993) with 128000 miles. It can crack 45 mpg with gentle driving on a run. I paid £325 for mine and with a towbar and roof rails is very usseful old banger to have about the place. It is rust free and looks awful in a dull grey/green. But its mine, paid for and I suppose it represents a months payment on a new one!
passat 2.0cl - mrmender
I had one years ago now good car but as it has been said check electric windows, mine were a constant source of probs
passat 2.0cl - catcher
I ran a 1.8 cl for 11 years and did over 120k miles in it. Being a 1.8 it was a bit under-powered but quite economical. Plenty of room in them, particularly rear leg room. I always thought the gearchange was excellent - light and precise. Things I had to replace; front engine mounting, clutch due to judder, rear window mechanism plus usual exhaust etc. I would consider all the above to be reasonable over 11 years. I can support mrmender's comments about electric windows. I had to replace the driver's side twice and not cheap - make sure you check that they work OK.