most dangerous road in the world - Altea Ego
Every year it is estimated 200 to 300 people die on a stretch of road less than 50 miles long. In one year alone, 25 vehicles plunged off the road and into the ravine. That is one every two weeks.

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/from_our_own_corres...m

------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
most dangerous road in the world - rtj70
Suppose they don''t have too much of a problem with speeders on this road. Might give the UK government a few ideas.

Seriously thouhg... It's a frightening thought thinking people having to travel on that road!
most dangerous road in the world - johnny
This popped up in the back room a few weeks ago - with a link to some much scarier pictures.
What's the UK equivalent ? - the A14 near Huntingdon seems to have more than its fair share of road accidents .
most dangerous road in the world - Citroënian {P}
It's not as bad as it used to be. I cycled down it a few years back and it was great, highly recommend gravity assisted mountain biking-but nowadays you can only go down in the mornings and up in the afternoons. When we took the mini bus back up, it was a bit hairy but not as bad as buses trying to pass each other as it used to be.

Beautiful place though, very cheap and from freezing altitude to tropical jungle in the space of a day, downhill.

Thanks for the tip, I get the podcast anyway, will be sure to have SWMBO listen too.
-- You know, it\'s not like changing toothpaste
www.gravitybolivia.com/

-if you happen to be in La Paz with a couple of days spare!
most dangerous road in the world - Hairy Hat Man
more here:

necromanc.blogspot.com/2006/10/road-of-death.html
most dangerous road in the world - PhilW
More here also as posted by Doc last month
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=45623&...f

Can I post my Q on that thread again - why in Bolivia, on this road, do they appear to drive on the left - surely its a drive on the right country?
--
Phil
most dangerous road in the world - wotspur
good spot that Phil - I tell you what I'd drive on the R.H.S. where ever possible on this road, prehaps it's whoever gets that side of the road first takes priority, or more likely that only by driving a L..H side lorry on the left can they actually judge how close they are getting to the edge
most dangerous road in the world - PhilW
"L.H side lorry on the left can they actually judge how close they are getting to the edge"

Now then, that brings back a vague memory of Italian trucks in the Alps/Dolomites that I would swear had RH drive for the same reason - was I imagining it? Think I saw them in the '60s/'70s on passes like Stelvio
--
Phil
most dangerous road in the world - Westpig
why on earth would anyone want to cycle down a road dubbed 'the world's most dangerous' or 'the death road' with deaths running at 250-300 per year?

don't suppose their insurance is all that complete either
most dangerous road in the world - No FM2R
What they don't tell you is that the road is different now (not good, just better) and secondly that road deaths on Bolivia are high on *all* roads.

Been there, seen it, driven worse.
>>why on earth would anyone want to cycle down a road dubbed...

It's an excellent day out, not much effort as it's all downhill...but most importantly, you're very narrow and mobile on a bike - lot easier and safer than in a car/bus/truck

You've gotta live a bit in this life :-)
most dangerous road in the world - bert-j
Got a vague memory of Swiss Postal buses having their steering wheel on the right hand side, presumably for distance judging on alpine roads.
most dangerous road in the world - Mapmaker
>Swiss steering wheels on the RHS

My father did a lot of business with the Swiss, and he used to say that they would drive RHS cars if they spent a lot of time in the Alps - that would have been the 1970s. Don't know if it's still true.