A4 down the M4 - Simon R
Can't pretend that I'll go into as much detail as Mark (Brazil) on the C5, but I've just spent the weekend with an A4 2.5Tdi Sport Multitronic so thought you might be interested in a few thoughts.

Pros
Build quality - both perceived (interior surfaces) and real (thud of doors)
Sports seats - perhaps the best I've tried
Refinement - a touchy subject with diesels, but this one was very smooth once moving. Not sure how much of this was due to the transmission. However, you could still tell it was a diesel at idle.
Steering wheel transmission controls - change gear like Schumacher. Would probably get bored of this after a while though.
Wipers - strange this one, but they were substantial and cleared the screen brilliantly.

Cons
Transmission - I've owned autos in the past and this one was very average. From a standstill there was a second when nothing happens as the belts sort themselves out. Then as you press harder it takes off like a bat out of hell. Got used to it but still annoying and not something I could live with.
Chassis - very wooden with no flow as you would get in a modern Ford or BMW. Steering was lifeless with little feel.
Rear seat space - very average for a car of this size. I know they want people to buy the A6, but the lack of space is inexcusable.
4 spoke steering wheel - triangular rim which was uncomfortable to hold (sports wheel would have been much better)
Bose sound system - don't know how much this option costs but very average results. Standard speaker system is fine.

Fuel economy was indifferent and worked out as 34mpg (using the computer) over 250 miles of mixed motoring. I wasn't hanging about but this is someway off the official combined figure of 40 (does anybody get these with modern Diesels). Best I saw was 37mpg on a 110 mile motorway trip.

In short didn't win me over.

Simon
Re: A4 down the M4 - Alfred
How nice to see a balanced and objective report - Thanks

Re economy I wonder if that type of transmission with a diesel is the cause of the heavy consumption? On the BMW330D HJ wrote in the car-by-car breakdown I assume they operate on the same principle?

A
Re: A4 down the M4 - Andrew Smith
The multitronic CVT transmission shouldn't increase Fuel consumption. Hence they don't carry an increased tax rating.

I've got to agree with comments about the extras on these cars. It's so annoying to see what appears to be the price of a car only to discover that you need to add thousands of pounds worth of extras. I haven't used tapes for over ten years so why don't Audi include a CD player as standard! This just seems to be the way with German cars. I spent a long while waiting to find an used A4 with the correct selection of options and in the end this just leaves you less room to negotiate on the price.
Re: A4 down the M4 - pete
I test drove both the 1.8T Quattro and the 2.5 Quattro (150 bhp) back to back and the diesel (both Manuel) was noticeably slow of the mark compared , on idle the engine sounded like a tractor with slow response to any throttle , the fuel average is accurate to about 1 mpg this was at 35mpg average , not impressive , i bought the 1.8T.
Was it the old version you tested (mine) the longer new one has more rear space , which is irrelevant to me , the car rarely carrying more than two up.
Re: A4 down the M4 - peterb
I looked at getting an A4 earlier this year and test drove the 2.0 and 1.8T.

I thought it was extremely solidly made although I agree with Simon's comments about the feel/handling.

However, the reason I didn't go for the Audi was the absurd spec. They wanted extra for items that should be standard on any 4 door car costing £20k+ such as a CD player, folding rear seats, a proper seatbelt for the centre rear, rear 'leccy windows, a decent steering wheel, etc. If you wanted "luxury" items (leather, 'leccy seats, etc.) then matters became very expensive indeed.
Re: A4 down the M4 - Tony
Audi have always struck me as a bit pointless,not really a VW and still not really a Merc or BMW.Maybe thats the appeal?
Re: A4 down the M4 - CM
I agree and can't see the point with Audi. Having said that the A4 is the one which makes the most sense.

The A2 is a joke soon to be killed off
The A3 is an expensive Golf
The A4 can't really be compared to any VW product as it is a lot better than the Bora - maybe the Octavia?
The A6 is the most pointless of all as this is covered by the Passat all round and now that there is the W8 version this covers all the range.
Re: A4 down the M4 - pete
The list price of the A4 1.8T Quattro dropped from a list of around 27k for the old Avant to the new of a round 23k (along with the power from 180 to 155).
They achieved this by removing in the case of my car 3k of extras.You can always by a top spec Mondeo if that's you choice.
The reason i bought Audi was really the four wheel drive for towing, mercs to me are a good car but with a old mans car image , the bmw , pimp or boy racer, both are rear wheel drive , i would always chose front wheel drive if given the choice. For interior design and exterior looks Audi take some beating, at the end of the day its individual choice.
I did look at the Octavior but at that time the turbo and x4 drive was not available (nor was a rear wiper), and it generally didn't impress over the primera i had at the time. I did take a long look at the Golf range but test drove too many with bits of trim hanging off , they do not compare to the A3 believe me. sometimes you have to look to see the quality and pay for it.
Re: A4 down the M4 - Andrew Smith
My original feeling was that Audi provided a good well engineered exec car without the pimp image of a BMW. I've lived with one for a year and a half now and while it has been a good car in some ways it's also been a bit of a dissapointment in others. An Octavia is looking rather attractive for the next car.
Re: A4 down the M4 - CM
I have a 5 series estate. Does that mean I look like a pimp? I hope so as I do not want to be portrayed as middle aged!
Re: A4 down the M4 - Double Decker
Where do you guys keep meeting all these pimps? I've met lots of people who drive BMWs, very safely too, but never one pimp ....

DD
Re: Pimps - Andrew Smith
Doh. Sweeping generalisation I'm afraid. I'd actually quite like a 5 series touring but the prices are a little steep for me.
Re: A4 down the M4 - peterb
BMW drivers are a bit of an easy target. However, I did once have an encounter with two probable drug dealers in a silver 328 cabrio at some traffic lights.

My first company car (recycled from a previous user) was a Primera GT. It was rather loud: scarlet, big alloys, spoiler, body-kit etc.

The 2 pimps drew up next to me and, assuming I was a kindred spirit, started to chat. Conversation rapidly foundered.......

Peter

PS I was given the 150 bhp Primera one week after passing my driving test - not a smart move from the company, but I managed not to bend it.

PPS There's a gag to be made about the missuse of mirrors by drug dealers and BMW drivers.
Re: A4 down the M4 - John S
DD

Thanks from a BMW owner who is pigged of with sweeping generalisations!

I also drive Minor, at which time I'm probably classified as a 'save the planet' type.

Regards

john
Re: A4 down the M4 - simon f
I love my A4 2.5 tdi quattro sport with standard 6-speed manual gearchange. On the M1 motorway, where I do most of my driving, I get about 40 mpg at an average speed of over 70 mph. Maybe the "Schumacher gearchange" increases the fuel consumption (always seemed like a gimmick to me).

Anyway, to drive it, and to look at it, it's pure sex on wheels. Understated elegance & power.
Re: A4 down the M4 - Simon R
Sex on Wheels - Ummmm. In my view that depends very much on the colour and size of alloys. The sexy 17'' ones cost over a grand extra and metallic is nearly £500! The 16'' ones are just too small for the wheel arches (let alone the standard 15'' jobs).

Interesting what's been said about Audis and 4wd. I'm probably going to be going for an X type 2.5 Sport (superb wheels on that), but again spec is strange with some expensive options.

As far as BMWs are concerned, only one I test drove was an X5 3.0d Sport. Did feel a bit like a street chemist driving that! Couldn't live with the 22mpg though.
Re: A4 down the M4 - Pat
You pays your money ..............

Audi has a different image from BMW and Mercedes, but I think the quality and styling are at least on a par. The spec on my 2000X TDi is pretty comprehensive, the only extra I paid for was the CD player, but this means that the car also has a cassette player (which I've never used, but many would). I wouldn't pay an extra £500 for metallic paint - I had gloss black and it looks the DBs (when it's clean!)

I'd have another one. Dealers are fairly friendly and down to earth, certainly compared to some Merc and BMW dealerships I've used.

Regards,

Pat