New Galaxy Tyre Repair Kit - Galaxian
Hi,

Just had to use the tyre repair kit on my Galaxy ... and it worked.

When I took the car to Kwik-Fit I was told that they couldn't fix tyres with goo in them. Fair enough, so I took it to the Ford dealer I bought the car from. Initially they said the same, but I convinced them that they could and the tyre was fixed for a very reasonable £10.

Now the problem is that I have used the bottle of goo, so I need a replacement so I 'can have another puncture' ... off to the parts dept.

Sorry, can't find a replacement under Galaxy, so 'we' try the S-Max and yes there is the goo, but I can only buy a whole kit costing £127!!!

Yep, that's all they had no way to buy the goo on its own. After a little discussion, I was given a bottle from an S-Max in the showroom.

I've done a little digging and Continental make the repair kit but you can't buy the replacement parts (goo and the hose needed) in the UK yet. Ford have no clue, but are looking into it.

Sounds like they pushed this technology out a little too soon to me.

Does any one else have experience with similar kits - the Galaxy has no spare wheel.

Thanks
New Galaxy Tyre Repair Kit - Dr Rubber
Same issue with 7 seat Tourans, MINI's and small BMW's among others (it saves weight). At least VW dealers will sell the goo by itself - it goes off after 4 years!

Joe

Touran with spacesaver sitting in the boot!

New Galaxy Tyre Repair Kit - Altea Ego
Look on E-bay for a VW goo kit (the touran uses it). The touran has a bottle of goo, and an electric pump all in a little plastic box.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Thanks for the quick replies ... I'll check ebay
New Galaxy Tyre Repair Kit - colino
You can buy these instant repair cans in most accessory shops, but I just wonder why manufacturers who dont supply spares dont fill the tyres with the instant repair fluids that have been around for ages. I have used them in loads of cars and never had any balance or vibration problems. Only needs the driver to look out for the telltale dayglo colour in the tread to let him know he has had a (now fixed) puncture!
Having trouble locating the 'goo' on eBay

Does anyone have any names I could look for, or is it better to
go into a shop and browse ?

Thanks again!
There's loads about, check out your nearest Halfords. One brand was Holts Tyreweld.
New Galaxy Tyre Repair Kit - Hamsafar
I have never seenthe stuff you get with a car, but is it the same as the stuff you get in any supermarket made by Holts?

e.g.
tinyurl.com/ykcbt7
New Galaxy Tyre Repair Kit - Ruperts Trooper
My brother-in-law had to swerve to avoid an errant oncoming vehicle and being the unlucky sort managed to hit the end of a kerbstone which had previously knocked out of line.

End result was a 5 x 2 cm hole in the front tyre. No amount of "goo" would have fixed that!
New Galaxy Tyre Repair Kit - Dulwich Estate
Precisely ! So why do so many accept this inferior sign of progress?

Let me think.... what else is a pretty rare motoring event where manufacturers could save money - let's start with accidents and air bags, seatbelt pre-tensioners. You only use them once, what a waste.

Then we could move on to main headlight beams for "town" cars, opening rear windows for reps' cars. And of course bonnet release catches - who needs one of those now?

Sump nuts - draining the oil the old fashioned way is ..er,...going out of fashion.

Then why bother with 4 or 5 wheel nuts when 3 would be OK. Handbrakes could go too.

Door handles on central locking cars are a bit pointless while we're on the same subject.

I could go on all night - but I won't.

Bring back the full size spare wheel (and make it match the other 4 - an alloy, if that's what you've got on each corner).
New Galaxy Tyre Repair Kit - oilrag
I bought a simple Fiat Punto van, it has a full size spare wheel kept inside the vehicle.....
Bliss :)
My point being, that manufacturers can do it if they wish and that they find they *have* to with a commercial vehicle
or no one would buy the product.
New Galaxy Tyre Repair Kit - telecaster
I also have the Galaxy with the goo......have not had the "pleasure" yet of using it.

Btw, I am using galaxy as a taxi...............failed the suitability test here in Ireland due to the lack of a spare wheel.......had to borrow spare and put it in the luggage comp for the retest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have finally located the part numbers for the Ford replacement parts - thanks to Ford in Germany no less

Hose and Adaptor: FINIS 1436101 -- £11.45 + VAT
Sealant: FINIS 1314060 -- £30.60 + VAT

That's £60 per puncture !!!!!! - including the reasonable £10 to repair the puncture

Volkswagen also sell a replacement parts kit which was only £35 all in. I'm going to see
it the bits are the same (Continetal make the Repair Kit for both I think).

Using the kit was pretty easy. Took about 40 minutes first time round, but I reckon I could
have it all done in 15 minutes (please don't let that happen!)

Hi Galaxian,

I'm sure you're joking and that you will buy an alternative to the dealer supplied stuff. Just like Ford and Continental do.
New Galaxy Tyre Repair Kit - bert-j
Is a space saver spare available for the Galaxy? If so is there somewhere to store it? My Honda Accord came with just a repair kit similar to your Galaxy but with a jack and wheel brace. I insisted on a space saver being supplied by the dealer as there is a well in which to store it. I don't like space savers but they have got to be better than a 'goo' kit especially if you have a major puncture or tyre damage. I've also got a vague memoy of Galaxy's (AKA VW Sharan) having a cradle underneath the back for a 'proper' spare wheel.
Incidentally is a jack and wheel brace supplied with the Galaxy?
New Galaxy Tyre Repair Kit - telecaster
ummmmmmmmmmmm...............no!
New Galaxy Tyre Repair Kit - jc2
The device for lowering the spare wheel on the Sharan(Galaxy/Alhambra) used to seize anyway so you couldn't get at those wheels.
New Galaxy Tyre Repair Kit - boxsterboy
At least your Galaxy came with a repair kit. On my Smart Brabus it is listed as an option, and there is no sapre wheel at all.