Intermittent loss of PAS - Mondeo mk2 - DP
The Mondeo has blotted its copybook!

Noticed on Saturday that I'm getting what feels like intermittent loss of power steering effort at slow speeds. It seems to be at its worst past about a turn of lock in either direction, but it was happening seemingly at random at all speeds. Sometimes the assistance just returns, other times it doesn't. The weight when this happens is identical to trying to steer the car without the engine running - i.e. I can move the wheel, but it's hard work.

Fluid level is just under MAX (where it has been since I bought the car). Fluid looks a little murky though.

No sign of leaks and no puddles or stains on the drive or on the inside of the undertray.

PAS belt looks in good nick and doesn't appear to be squealing or slipping.

No roughness or peculiar feeling through the steering.

At speed it's either not happening or it's not noticeable - the Mondeo's steering is nice and weighty once rolling anyway, so I suspect it's just not noticeable.

Any suggestions? Never had a car with PAS play up before, so no idea where to start.

2000 mk2 Mondeo 1.8TD with 123,000 miles on the clock.

Cheers
DP
Should add, the PAS pump was disturbed a couple of months ago when I did the cambelt, but wasn't disconnected - just unbolted, moved to one side well within the flex limit of the hoses, and tied up. Car has done 3k since with no problem until now, but just thought I would mention it in case it's relevant.

Actually, the fluid is not just murky, it's black! Should I change it as a matter of course?

Cheers in anticipation
DP
Intermittent loss of PAS - Mondeo mk2 - scotmech

**** intermittent loss of power steering effort at slow speeds ****

Would this mean the steering is ... 'notchy' ... I would jack up both front wheels and turn steering from lock to lock and see if steering is smooth ... try with engine running ... If steering is tight then loose as you turn from lock to lock ... it wil be probably one of the column couplings ... and will most likely be one that is exposed to the elements underneath ... and you must change fluid a few times to flush system ...
scotmech,

Thanks for the info - very useful.

I wouldn't describe it as notchy as such - just that it will suddenly go heavy at random at slow speeds. But I will get it jacked up at the weekend and follow your suggestion. I hope you're right - I would much rather have to replace a column UJ than the rack or pump on both cost and time/hassle grounds.

Cheers
DP
Intermittent loss of PAS - Mondeo mk2 - gsb
Just a thought, I had this problem with my pug 406. Steering felt heavy for a moment on a couple of occassions.
I was on my way to my local mechanic when, 100 yds to go, fortunately going very slowly round a corner the crankshaft pulley split. ( I understand this is a known fault on 406's)
Intermittent loss of PAS - Mondeo mk2 - Micky
If you can replicate the problem, watch the rev counter.

www.btinternet.com/~madmole/Reference/Idle.html#Po...h

No revs = heavy steering.