Long range driving lights - L'escargot
A lot of my driving is on largely deserted country roads and I'd love to have a pair of long range driving lights that come on witn main beam like I had on an XR3i and a XR2 years ago, but they don't seem to be available any more. Alternatively I'd be happy if main beam was the equivalent wattage. Some people might have seen long-range driving lights merely as fashion accessories but I thought they were brilliant. (No pun intended!)
--
L\'escargot.
Long range driving lights - teabelly
Have you already tried the extra bright halogens like the osram silverstars in main beam yet? They reach about a third further than ordinary halogens. Hella might do driving lights like you want. They have an online catalogue: tinyurl.com/yaayvr

Alternatively get yourself one of those rally style pods :-)
teabelly
Long range driving lights - Ruperts Trooper
Most cars these days have separate bulb / reflector for main and dip so as not to compromise the different functions. On these the main beam ARE long range driving lights.

Electrical wattage is limited by law but brightness isn't. As suggested try extra bright bulbs. I use them in both dip and main.
Long range driving lights - L'escargot
Have you already tried the extra bright halogens like the osram
silverstars in main beam yet?

I had them in my 1999 Focus and I admit they were a definite improvement over the original lights. However I feel that the lights in my current 2003 Focus (which are different to the 1999 model) are already as good as the modified 1999 so I am dubious whether Silverstars would help. I'd give them a try if it was easy to change the bulbs, but it isn't. I got my dealer to change the 1999 bulbs and they had to remove the radiator grille and take at least one of the headlights out completely. The grille was never the same afterwards because some of the attachment lugs broke off. It seems that the grille fits OK on production but just doesn't seem to like being removed.
--
L\'escargot.
Long range driving lights - AR-CoolC
I had the 2003 Focus before my current Leon.

The headlights have H7 and H1 bulbs for dip and main respecfully. IIRC the 1999 focus had H4 bulbs (dip and main combined)

To replace the bulbs on the passenger side, the only way I could do it was to remove the battery and tray. On the drivers side it was just about do-able, but helps to have someone with small hands.

Long range driving lights - Doc
They are still available.

See:www.cars-gb.com/cibie.htm

Prices are cheaper via an accessory shop.