Renault Megane W reg ABS problem. - percy
Renault Megane W reg ABS problem.

This is a friends (1.6 petrol) car. The problem started with the ABS light illuminating permanently on a journey. Investigation revealed a blown 5 amp fuse. This was replaced and at first the system seemed ok with the ABS light illuminating initially then extinguishing. However the fuse blew again about 1.5 miles / 5 minutes into the next journey. This happens every journey even though there is no apparent need for the ABS to have functioned. For the time being the fuse has not been replaced, but MOT time approaches!
It has been suggested that this is an electronic module fault rather than a pump fault.
The ABS unit fitted to the car is the Bosch 5.3. According to BBA Reman it is possible to remove the electronics module from the ABS unit for reconditioning. On this particular model of the Megane the access is very poor and the whole ABS unit has to be removed in order to remove the electronics module. Removal means bleeding the braking system of course.
The Haynes manual does not offer a lot of advice on bleeding. Enquiries have been made at the local Bosch Service Centre and appear to have been met with blank looks. There is a rumour that the electronics module has to be put through some sort of computerised routine while the bleeding process is occurring.
The big question is:
Has anybody had experience of bleeding the braking/ABS system of the Megane?
Any thoughts please?
Renault Megane W reg ABS problem. - Xileno {P}
I believe the newer Meganes with ABS/EBD/EBA need the the CLIP system attached to electronically open and close the various valves for bleeding. I don't think your age of Megane has all this but I'm not 100% sure. If you get no clear answer here, then try renaultforums.co.uk, there are some Renault techs who answer queries like this.
Many thanks Xileno, I'll pass this on.
Renault Megane W reg ABS problem. - elekie&a/c doctor
I am not so sure that this is an Abs module/pump problem.These Bosch systems do sometimes give problems but I have never seen one blowing fuses.I would be more inclined to think this is a wiring fault .Try running the car with the Abs module disconnected and the fuse in place,
Thanks for your thoughts elekie. Over the weekend my friend looked at the inside of the ABS unit plug cover but could find no loose loose or chafed wires in there. He then decided to re-fit the 5 amp fuse (which apparently feeds the ABS unit and nothing else) and try the ABS again. Crossed fingers, early days, but so far so good. If the problem reappears he will try your method and also examine the cable and the fuse box. I will post the eventual outcome.
So he tried it with a new fuse and ABS plugged in and sure enough the fuse blew after a few miles. Then he tried a new fuse with the ABS unplugged, sure enough the fuse blew after a few miles! So elekie your thoughts were correct, dodgy wiring apparently somewhere between the fusebox and the ABS as supposedly this fuse only feeds the ABS. My friend has tried to get into the fusebox without much luck and is now thinking seriously about whether to tap into another ignition switched line with an in-line fuse to feed the ABS unit (having cut the line back into the fusebox from the ABS). I will post the outcome.
Problem(s) sorted now.
I say problems because also there had been the brake warning light in the instrument panel flashing on occasionally, usually when the car was accelerating or decelerating.
I don?t know quite how my friend found the problem, but here is what he found:
Looking under the bonnet, the accelerator cable passes between the offside of the engine and the inboard side of the offside suspension tower. The cable is held in place by a couple of clips, one of which comes undone easily. So the cable comes loose and gently rubs against part of the ABS cable loom which runs vertically down the aforesaid inboard side of the offside suspension tower. The loom is protected by tape at this point and the metal sheath of the accelerator cable is protected by a rubber sleeve. It had obviously been gnawing a way for a while and eventually became intermittent metal to metal contact; hence the flashing light and occasional blown fuse.
So with some extra protection the problems are now solved.
Thanks for your help Xileno and Elekie on this one.