Classic Shell Petrol Can - giamburrasca
Hello all. I am an occasional collector of pre-war petrol cans, and have recently acquired a particularly straight Shell Aviation can. From traces of paint underneath several newer layers, and from looking at advertising posters from the time, it appears that these cans were painted a golden colour and that it might have been metallic. Can anybody confirm this and/or suggest a pantone number or a paint type for the job. Thanks muchly in anticipation.
CLASSIC SHELL PETROL CAN - henry k
No but try
www.brooklandsmuseum.com/enthusiasts_enquiry.cfm?a...w
CLASSIC SHELL PETROL CAN - Imagos
A strange hobby, restoring petrol cans? (with respect Sir)
CLASSIC SHELL PETROL CAN - Altea Ego
Buy one, fully restored on ebay for 15 quid.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
CLASSIC SHELL PETROL CAN - Pugugly {P}
Has this been subject of a thread before or is Deja Vu ? I could have sworn I'd read a (very) similar thread some weeks ago, but can't find it on Forum Search.
CLASSIC SHELL PETROL CAN - Dynamic Dave
PU, that's because I have moved the new replies to the original post and deleted the latest question to avoid repetition.

DD.
CLASSIC SHELL PETROL CAN - giamburrasca
My apologies henry k. Your reply was intelligent and helpful as well, when I realised it had a link. As for most of the others....
Classic Shell Petrol Can - Dry bearings
It could be a Shell company spec.colour.If not Iam sure it's ' Mid chrome yellow' as used on Marshall's of Gainsborough tractors.
They used Bergers 'Kemitone enamel' at he time.
Commercial vehicle refinishers maybe able to help.
Thank you, Dry bearings, for the sole intelligent answer
Classic Shell Petrol Can - henry k
Thank you, Dry bearings, for the sole intelligent answer

Perhaps you should read ALL of the replies before your above reply.
I suspect that an historic aviation / motoring museum knows a little about Shell aviation fuel cans.

or you could try a little harder - from a certain site
"Shell, Shell Mex, Shell Mex & BP. - Aviation 1930/35 Golden Brown but not metallic Gold!! "
Profuse apologies henry k, I didn't see the link to your post. I've emailed , as you suggested, an enquiry to Brooklands. May I humbly ask for a link to the Shell Mex etc. site you refer to, this restoration is for my Dad who worked all his life for Irish Shell in its various guises.
Found it thanks.....
Classic Shell Petrol Can - henry k
No hard feelings.
to confirm the site I referred to was
members.chello.nl/b.voogd5/fuel_cans.htm
They may be another good starting point.

www.vintagecollectibles.co.uk/petrol-cans.htm

There are a lot of enthusiasts out there. Some even in Ireland but this is not aviation
www.bbc.co.uk/northernireland/yourplaceandmine/lon...l
www.bbc.co.uk/northernireland/yourplaceandmine/ima...g

Try contacting Shell who will probably have some sort of archive to reference?
Good luck on your quest