How long do points for SP30 last? - MoodyGit
How long do points for speeding stay on your licence for?

Before you say 3 years I want evidence!

There is no mention in the Highway Code
and insurance companies want to know of any points in the last FIVE years!

Top Reply

How long do points for SP30 last? - Group B
Yes they count for 3 years for "totting up" purposes. But insurance companies count them for 5 years so they can extract more money from you for a longer period of time...
According to Pepipoo "Penalty points count toward totting-up for 3 years, but they are not actually removed from your driving licence for another year, so they stay on your licence for 4 years."
I've got 3 points on mine from June 2001, but I've not got round to sending it in yet, to get them removed. Cant be bothered really, they dont count anymore so it doesnt matter.

snipurl.com/111ju

www.pepipoo.com/Penalty_points.htm

Rich.

All Replies

How long do points for SP30 last? - Collos25
Three years ,insurance companies want to know a bit about a drivers history therefore any points received or removed within the last 5 years I thought is was pretty straight forward.
Yes they count for 3 years for "totting up" purposes. But insurance companies count them for 5 years so they can extract more money from you for a longer period of time...
According to Pepipoo "Penalty points count toward totting-up for 3 years, but they are not actually removed from your driving licence for another year, so they stay on your licence for 4 years."
I've got 3 points on mine from June 2001, but I've not got round to sending it in yet, to get them removed. Cant be bothered really, they dont count anymore so it doesnt matter.

snipurl.com/111ju

www.pepipoo.com/Penalty_points.htm

Rich.
How long do points for SP30 last? - mini 30 owner
The five years for insurance companies is to do with the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act which states that offences don't have to be disclosed (for the purpose of obtaining car insurance) after this period ( the period does depend on the specific offence) - otherwise insurers would want your whole life history and that speeding offence from 20 years ago would haunt you forever
How long do points for SP30 last? - Sim-O
After three years you can send your licence off and have the points removed, but most insurers want you to declare any in the last five.
I regularly have points put on and removed. Having a bit of trouble finding comfy boots that aren't made of lead.
How long do points for SP30 last? - Sim-O
Does anyone actually declare points if they aren't on the licence?
Does anyone actually declare points if they aren't on the licence?

I thought insurance companies could access a database with your past insurance history on it, so they can find out how many points you have and when you got them? Or am I being naieve?!
I've always declared all mine, dont want to risk them not paying out if my car gets nicked or I write it off. In my experience, three points make little to premiums anyway, with 6 points they start to take interest...
How long do points for SP30 last? - turbo11
The insurance companies do not know of points on your licence,but failure to declare them will make your policy invalid.
tinyurl.com/av8ks
How long do points for SP30 last? - L'escargot
I've seen 3 years written somewhere ~ probably on my old paper licence which had an SP30.
--
L\'escargot.
How long do points for SP30 last? - L'escargot
Quite a lot of information here tinyurl.com/yy47ob ~ I assume it's authoratitive.
--
L\'escargot.
How long do points for SP30 last? - MoodyGit
So the answer is really 3 or 5

3 for totting up and 5 for the robbing insurance companies

So at what point can you say you've got a clean licence? After 4 years?

All the evidence you require has been given to you which you could have sourced yourself so why not now make up your own mind.
How long do points for SP30 last? - martint123
tinyurl.com/av8ks dvla.gov.uk (sadly the tiny url thingies hide where it really is),

Endorsements must remain on a licence for 11 years from date of conviction if the offence is:

* drinking/drugs and driving (shown on the licence as DR10, DR20, DR30 and DR80)
* causing death by careless driving whilst under the influence of drink/drugs (shown on the licence as CD40, CD50 and CD60)
* causing death by careless driving, then failing to provide a specimen for analysis (shown on the licence as CD70)

Endorsements must remain on a licence for four years from date of conviction if the offence is:

* reckless/dangerous driving (shown on the licence as DD40, DD60 and DD80)
* offences resulting in disqualification
* disqualified from holding a full licence until a driving test has been passed

The three years comes from the totting up process and the 5 is what insurance companies usually ask for.
How long do points for SP30 last? - Mapmaker
A pal of mine was stopped by a policeman, for speeding. He gave him a swift telling off, and asked to see his driving licence. On seeing a long list of points dating back ten years or more (but non current) he told my friend to send his licence off to get a new, clean one back as most policemen would give somebody with a record like that a ticket.

How long do points for SP30 last? - henry k
>>How long do points for speeding stay on your licence for?
So the answer is really 3 or 5
3 for totting up and 5 for the robbing insurance companies

>>>> So at what point can you say you've got a clean licence? After 4 years?

From the previously surplied link
"Endorsements must remain on a licence for four years from the date of offence in all other cases."

So IMO the points stay on your licence for 4 years. I have just got a new licence in order to show anyone a "clean" one now that my SP30 is 4 years old.

How long do points for SP30 last? - Ruperts Trooper
As others have stated - 3 years for totting up, 4 years on the licence and 5 years for informing insurers.

I've never bothered having endorsements from '73, '83 and '93 removed. If you're stopped and it's that marginal whether you get a ticket or a verbal warning then it probably matters more which side of bed the officer got out of that morning!

Looking at the above, I'm probably overdue for another one!
How long do points for SP30 last? - Dulwich Estate
Is it 3 / 4 years after the date of the offence or after the date of conviction?

My 3 points show on my licence from the date of offence. But then, there was no conviction.

How long do points for SP30 last? - Dalglish
Is it 3 / 4 years after the date of the offence or after the date of conviction?
My 3 points show on my licence from the date of offence. But then, there was no conviction

dulwich -
click the two links provided above by lescargot and andy bairsto.
then look for the three categories -
11 years from date of conviction if the offence is: ....
four years from date of conviction if the offence is: ....
four years from the date of offence in all other cases. ...

as for the point made by mapmaker:
[>> On seeing a long list of points dating back ten years or more (but non current) he told my friend to send his
licence off to get a new, clean one back as most policemen would give somebody with a record like that a ticket.]

i know someone who has just a couple of endorsements going back more than 15 years. he thinks that it positively helps to keep them on as it demonstrates that he has reformed his driving behaviour since those points so many years ago.

How long do points for SP30 last? - MW
When renewing my insurance, some years ago, I did say I had picked up an SP30 during the year. They noted it, and said 1 offence would not affect the premium, but 2 would.