Sneaky Focus question, you will love it! - mj2000uk
My wife makes me laugh!!

I am getting her a newer car while all the time we cry poverty to her parents!!!

Anyway, because we cry poverty, they will question why a 2000 Focus has gone and been replaced by a 2005 Audi A2!!!

My wife has a cunning plan, tell them that the car has mechanically failed in some way and it is actually cheaper to invest in a new car than repair the old one. Problem is, the Focus has just passed its MOT.

So, what bull poo excuse can we put forward for a major failing of the Focus that escapes the notice of an MOT?

Help!!!
Sneaky Focus question, you will love it! - Chuckie888
You sound like my brother who still hasn't paid me back the loan I lent him 10+ years ago!! He's managed to buy a big house in Kent and a converted Mazda Bongo (cash) whilst pleading poverty! You'll get no help from me sunshine
Sneaky Focus question, you will love it! - PhilW
"a major failing of the Focus "

Taste??
(Sorry!)
--
Phil
Sneaky Focus question, you will love it! - mlj
Reading this very carefully, my money is on the parents not actually falling for this 'cunning' plan.
Perhaps, on the other hand, you could claim that your Focus was beset by a surfeit of exclamation marks causing the ignition to be retarded.

Still, your wife makes you laugh, that's something I suppose.
Sneaky Focus question, you will love it! - psi
tell them the cambelt snapped?
Sneaky Focus question, you will love it! - Stuartli
In the end it's no business of the parents...:-)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Sneaky Focus question, you will love it! - Armitage Shanks {p}
Deceiving your parents over financial matters? I guess you are over 18 and have left home so you can do what you like. Remember though, it is very easy for them to change their will(s) and leave everything to the local dog's home!
Sneaky Focus question, you will love it! - DP
Cambelt snapped
Got stolen
Tree fell on it while parked up.

etc etc

Sneaky Focus question, you will love it! - Baskerville
For goodness sake it's only a second hand, ahem, pre-loved A2, not a brand new Bentley. Why do you care what they think?
Sneaky Focus question, you will love it! - bell boy
like daughter like mother ive always found
if she is deceiving her parents is she deceiving you?
has she gone out for a drink with 'the girls' tonight?
Sneaky Focus question, you will love it! - Lud
has she gone out for a drink with 'the girls' tonight?

You are so evil om!
Sneaky Focus question, you will love it! - Statistical outlier
So, in summary, you're lying to your customers and therefore assuming that Ford are lying to you about your car radio (tinyurl.com/yf73mw ), and you're planning how to lie to your girlfriends parents. And you think you're really clever.

Hmm, what a nice person you're making yourself out to be!
Sneaky Focus question, you will love it! - Avant
Quite easy (tho' I do agree with the comments that it's nothing to do with her parents).

Take the extra cost of the A2 over what you got for the Focus, and then match it with repairs that the Focus (despite passing MOT ) may still need in the next 2 years (while the A2 is under guarantee).

Such as:

Cambelt
4 new tyres
Clutch if the mileage is high
Exhaust
Brake pads and possibly discs

- and look on HJ's car-by-car breakdoen and see if there's anything else that Focuses regularly chew up.
Sneaky Focus question, you will love it! - tyro
I've an alternative suggestion.

Why don't you tell her parents that when you were crying poverty to them, you didn't actually mean material or financial poverty?
Sneaky Focus question, you will love it! - Aprilia
I am the only one who thinks this is really wierd? Why would you want to 'cry poverty' - are you trying to emotionally blackmail them out of some money or what?
Sneaky Focus question, you will love it! - rtj70
When I read the OP I assumed he and his wife already owes money to the parents. And are therefore avoiding paying them the owed money back. Why else lie and "cry poverty".

And if I was those parents I'd know OP was lying but do not want to ask for the money back. Sad for the OP to think he's smarter than his parents in law. Come on if you owe them money and skint you cannot buy the car. If you buy the new car you're not skint. If you don't owe them money then none of their business.
Very perceptive rtj70! I see a second career opening up for you as a psychologist or perhaps as a crime profiler for the police!
I know my point was obvious. My point is the parents in-law will see through any excuses for what it is.
So what was the point of asking the question - if you know the answer??!!
Sneaky Focus question, you will love it! - Westpig
knocking sound from engine area, don't know what it is, but don't want to risk it..........."could be nothing, but on the other hand"???
Sneaky Focus question, you will love it! - madf
It's quite simple. Your wife - whi is illogical like all wimmin:-)) - has developed a pathological fear of being in the Ford due to some incident involving a near miss..

After that she'll nvere ever feel comfortable in it and of course as a dutiful husband it is importnat that her wellbeing comes first...

There is NO answer to that one...well none that is at all sympathetic...
madf
Sneaky Focus question, you will love it! - glowplug
I've just got to ask these questions purely to satisfy my own curiosity - don't you worry that her parents will find out? Don't you worry that she and you are prepared to lie to her parents?

Crikey! Reap what you sow?
---
Xantia HDi.

Buy a Citroen and get to know the local GSF staff better...
Sneaky Focus question, you will love it! - artful dodger {P}
Your question makes my laugh. Your wife wants you to create a story to cover her having a newer car after pleading poverty. Surely it is your wife who wants to decive her parents? My advice would be to say you had your arm twisted and like to look after their daughter to the best of your ability. Back this up by saying that all your emergency savings have now been depleted and could you have some cash to tide you over! That should give you a few browny points and still plead poverty.

--
Roger
I read frequently, but only post when I have something useful to say.
Sneaky Focus question, you will love it! - Round The Bend
But why an A2?
_______
IanS
Sneaky Focus question, you will love it! - barney100
''Oh what a tangled web we leave when first we practice to decieve'' ........................
Sneaky Focus question, you will love it! - mss1tw
i would laugh if they read this forum.
Sneaky Focus question, you will love it! - Mapmaker
I'd be more inclined to look under the bridge and have a little sniff, dear posters.

A nearly new A2 for the wife. And yesterday it was a brand spanking new mondeo with bluetooth activated radios, or whatever. Oh, and a job that involves ripping off customers by charging them for something that's already there but just needs activating.

Next we'll be having Munchausen by proxy audi quattros without 4wd again. (Aand I cannot be bothered to google to check I have used the correct spelling of that for this joker.)

It must be half term again.
Is the OP hiding under there with AudiAudi or something ;-)
Sneaky Focus question, you will love it! - Martin Devon
''Oh what a tangled web we leave when first we practice
to decieve'' ........................

Weave
Sneaky Focus question, you will love it! - Pugugly {P}
But strangely, Martin, both versions of Scott's words work well......
Sneaky Focus question, you will love it! - Martin Devon
Have to agree PU.

MD
Sneaky Focus question, you will love it! - runboy
Hope you don't eat your words when the A2 breaks down! I'd rather have the Focus myself!
Sneaky Focus question, you will love it! - Dulwich Estate
You're not the same bloke I read about on this forum, with an interest only mortgage and waiting for a close realative to pop-off, are you?
Sneaky Focus question, you will love it! - Lud
>> ''Oh what a tangled web we leave when first we
practice
>> to decieve'' ........................
>>
Weave

And, in fact, deceive...
Sneaky Focus question, you will love it! - Baskerville
>> >> ''Oh what a tangled web we leave when first
we
>> practice
>> >> to decieve'' ........................
>> >>
>> Weave
>>
And, in fact, deceive...

Don't forget "weave."
Sneaky Focus question, you will love it! - scott1s
Why not just tell 'em what you are really thinking. You're not getting your money back, I'm not really skint and I have blown your kind hearted gesture of financial support on an aluminium upturned pram. Now pop your clogs so we can get the next instalment pronto.

Cynical . . .. . . . . . . . . moi . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .