Renault's Timing Belt Recommendations - Giblets
I am trying to establish the true story on what at the technical recommendations on timing belts and/or kits and their intervals.

Here is my story. Driving home in my 1999 Renault megane 1600cc. It dies suddenly. The AA are called and they are unable to get it started but he says it sound like the timing belt, so we are towed home. Puts car into the renault garage, where it has been serviced for the last 2 and a half years. (car bought second hand). Then told the timing belt has gone and it has caused £1,500 worth of damage to the engine. My husband is not happy as they timing belt was replaced 18mths ago by the same garage. This was at their recommendation at 54,000 as they water pump was gone and to save double labour costs as they put it! They would replace the belt at the same time. When asked how they belt could have failed so prematurely they initially said it might have been the pullies.

Now here is my beef, until now I did not know that there is a timing belt kit. Other renault garages say this should be fitted at the same time to ensure good operation. My argument is that not 4 months later after this timing belt was fitted we had the car serviced and the timing belt report stated that it would not need to be replaced for another 72,000 miles or 5 years. However they omitted to let us know that this was only the timing belt and indeed if nothing had happened out car would have only had the pullies replaced at the next interval. (146,000) Which is not what Renault recommend. They have given us no answer as to why the full kit was not fitted at the 54,000 point. And they are now saying it was the timing belt that snapped as because it is out of the 12 month warranty (which we were not informed of at the time!) then they are not responsible for any liability. Of course I can not comment technically on whether the pullies caused it or the belt.

I would like to ask if anybody has had a timing belt go just after 18 months? I also heard that Renault lost a case against them in France for a similar argument that if the part is recommended for change after 72,000 miles or 5 years then it should be fit for purpose up to that. Otherwise if you take our garages advice then you should change your timing belt every 12months so that you are covered by warranty. We are really fizzing about this and and feel that there has been negligence on part of our garage and they should accept liability. We are taking it to the trading standards but would appreciate any help anyone can offer?

Thanks
Renault's Timing Belt Recommendations - DP
Most competent mechanics would fit a kit (which is the belt itself, plus a new tensioner and depending on application, a replacement idler pulley) when replacing a timing belt. the additional cost is negligible (£10-£20 usually) and these components can and do fail in service.

Belts fail prematurely because of one of the following reasons:

The belt was incorrectly tensioned when fitted, or the tensioner locking bolt was not tightened correctly.
The belt has become contaminated with grit, oil, coolant or other undesirable materials
One of the tensioners or the idler pulley has either seized or broken up.
Another component driven by the timing belt (i.e. the water pump) has seized or has excessive play.
The belt itself was substandard or faulty.
The cover has been fitted incorrectly (chafes or lets in dirt)

It should be possible to establish what has happened if you have the vehicle inspected.

When I changed the cambelt on my Mondeo TD a couple of months back I discovered that the supplying dealer had not replaced the tensioners when they did the belt when I bought it. One of the idlers had an alarming amount of play and roughness in the bearings, and the play was sufficient to affect the belt tension considerably. If a tensioner or idler has "gone" it will be very obvious when the engine is examined. You should also keep the old belt, as that can give clues (teeth missing, heat discolouration, scrape marks etc),

Get the car inspected independently and report the findings.

Cheers
DP
Thank you for a speedy response DP.
DP,

We have had to go ahead and get the garage to fix the repair as we need the car on the road. We have been given the parts from the garage. Is there still any point in getting an independant to look at the car and what has been removed?

Regards

Giblets
Renault's Timing Belt Recommendations - DP
I don't know anything about the legal side of things, so I guess it depends on what the chances are of a successful claim against the garage (anyone??).

I would want to know for my own curiosity if nothing else, but that's just me.

They would need to see the parts that have been removed rather than the car itself which should be good as new with the repairs done. The way the belt has broken should give a clue as to why it failed.

Unfortunately, I don't know where you stand legally, but keep the parts for now and hopefully someone more knowledgeable on where you stand will be along soon.

Cheers
DP

Renault's Timing Belt Recommendations - Bill Payer
That?s an interesting question ? is the garage liable because they didn?t do a proper job in the first place, or are the liable because they later told you the belt was OK for 72000 miles?

Or does the garage cease to have any liability once 12 months (or whatever) have expired since they did the job?

Are we talking about the same garage in every case above?

DTI?s fact sheet www.dti.gov.uk/consumers/fact-sheets/page9010.html says:
?Q3. I have had my car serviced or repaired and I do not believe the job has been done properly. The repairer is refusing to do anything about it, what are my rights?

Supply of Goods and Services legislation requires a trader to provide a service with reasonable care and skill. Any materials or parts supplied must be of satisfactory quality.
If a trader fails to observe these requirements the law treats the matter as breach of contract and, if necessary, a consumer can pursue the matter through the courts.
A local Citizens' Advice Bureau will be able to advise on the procedure to be pursued. The small claims procedure provides a straightforward way to bring a claim for up to £5000 to court without the need for a solicitor. ?
Renault's Timing Belt Recommendations - cheddar
Renault state 5 years or 50,000 miles for a belt and tensioners kit so if a Renault franchised dealer only fitted a belt and not the kit then IMO they should be liable. Depends whether the sale of good act limits their liability to 12 months even though they were at fault.
Renault's Timing Belt Recommendations - clio dci 03
Hi. I've just had my clio dci's timing belt changed, its done 63k and now 2 weeks down the line it's squealing when cold for 5 minutes or so. I've rung the dealer and booked it in, but i'm not sure whether they should foot the bill or me - for whatever needs doing..

i'm a university student, and can't really afford to pay £300 dealer bills every few weeks..

(not sure if they did just the belt or whole kit - i'll find that out when i go in)

also the squealing is accompanied by a loud vacuum-like noise, which varies in pitch according to the revs....this goes on for longer than the belt squeal - does anyone know what it might be, and would the belt change have caused it?

million thanks
Renault's Timing Belt Recommendations - Craig_1969
My IV Espace is in for a recall today I will ask about cambelts on the dci engine to confirm.
Renault's Timing Belt Recommendations - clio dci 03
thanks, that's great.

is it worth me posting on the discussion bit? i've never done this before, as you can probably tell!
Thanks Bill Payer for the DTI info. The car has alway gone to the same garage. We have spoken to Renault direct and they have said it's the matter of the franchise (garage) The garage are digging their heels in and we have now made a formal complaint. The Trading standards have advised us also that we can make a claim through the small court. So that will be our next step.

Regards

Giblets