SPQR Tappet Adjuster - Urban Spaceman
Many years ago, I bought a SPQR tappet adjuster, which was used quite often on my Volvo 122S. For the last 25 years, it has sat in my tool box, waiting to be used again.
Now I want to use it, I cannot remember the finer details of its use. I have contacted Sykes Pykavant, but they do not even know of its existance now.

Is there anyone out there, that can remember how to use it correctly?

Regards,

Urban
SPQR Tappet Adjuster - nick
I have one of these but again haven't used in living memory. IIRC you loosen the lock nut on the valve and screw the adjuster fully in. Then put your SPQR on and undo the required number of clicks to get the correct clearance. When adjusted, nip up the lock nut with the SPQR spanner. It came with a data sheet giving the correct number of clicks for a host of cars but if you don't have this undo a valve by say, 20 clicks and measure the gap. That will give you how many thou per click. You would need to do this calibration on an unworn valve and rocker as the selling point of these tools was that it allowed for wear on the end of the valve and rocker.
SPQR Tappet Adjuster - Cliff Pope
Is that the Volvo service interval for tappet checking - 25 years?
You can create an unworn rocker face for reference by removing it and carefully grinding down the unworn metal surrounding the dimple where it touches the valve stem.
SPQR Tappet Adjuster - John S
nick is spot on. I don't know the calibration, but it can be worked out. Use a thread gauge to get the 'threads per inch' of the SPQR. This gives the valve clearance created by one turn. Check number of 'clicks' per turn. Divide one by the other and you get the clearance per click.

JS
I wish I had kept the original packaging, like I usually do. It is time for the calculator I think. Trouble is - The threads are hidden inside the mechanism of the adjuster, so I will try a micrometer to measure the distance travelled during one rotation, and also , as you suggested, count the number of clicks for that rotation.
I will let you know what I find.
Thanks so far folks.

Urban.
I'll have a look tomorrow and see if I can find the packaging. What car are you using it on?
Forget that question, just re-read your first post.
SPQR Tappet Adjuster - Bill Payer
Is it the same (or similar to) Gunsons Click-Adjust?
mgaguru.com/mgtech/tools/ts080.htm
I don't know the answer to that one at the moment.
A big black adjusting thing at the top, that clicks when you turn ir. At the other end is a square drive to accept a socket, and also a screwdriver tip to turn the adjuster. Near the bottom is a leaver that turns the socket, to slacken or tighten the locknut.
Just had a look on-line. The similarity is uncanny. The main difference being the adjuster at the top of the unit. SPQR one is large enough to fill your palm, whereas the Gunson one is much smaller.
SPQR Tappet Adjuster - madf
I have my original instructions...
email me and I'll scan and send you a copy...

madasafish1 at hotmail.co.uk

madf
Hi Madf,

Is it hotmail.co.uk, or hotmail.com?
I've found the instructions and even have the card with clearances for lots of cars. Which engine is in the Volvo? I can tell you B18A, B20A, B18B, B18D, B164 and the 343 and 66 engines.
For cars not on the list the instructions say - ''the number of clicks can be determined by measuring the difference with a feeler gauge, between the clearance set at a definite number of clicks and re-set at one less click, the difference between the two readings being the amount of adjustment per click.'' I assume this method allows for any wear as it is a comparative measurement rather than absolute one.
The 122S has the B18B engine in it - Twin SU Carbs.

Thanks,

Urban
B18B - Adjust cold; exhaust and inlet 22 thou or 56 mm = 12 clicks. Nut should be 1/2" AF.
Hope this helps. The only proviso is that this is for the standard SPQR adjuster model number 3455. If yours is different, the clicks may be different.
Good luck, let us know how you get on.
Many thanks for this info Nick.
I will give it a try, when there is less of a chance of hyperthermia.

Regards

Urban
SPQR Tappet Adjuster - mike web

Although an old listing, so as not to confuse new readers,

Surely all these responses with one exception are wrong?

The SPQR clicks will not measure anything in themselves. They can only be used to measure the pitch of the tappet adjuster on the vehicle so the only advice that makes sense is to take up all clearance, back of 20 clicks and measure valve clearance that is now revealed.

Divide the gap by 20 and it tells you how much clearance each click produces. A metric tappet adjuster will have a different number of clicks to an imperial so a UNF will be different as will BSF. The diameter of the tappet adjuster thread will also produce a different figure.

It is essential that you check and get the correct reading for your vehicle, forget the data sheet as it will be so old, your vehicle will probably not be listed.

Hope this helps

Mike Web

SPQR Tappet Adjuster - bathtub tom

The clicks are on the thread of the tappet adjuster tool and that's a known thread.