Passat V6 strange starting issue help? - Passatsampsan
Hi I have a 98 Passat V6 Syncro and it has a strange random starting issue?

The car runs great with no issues or fault codes stored etc but every now and again when I come to start it it fires OK but then cuts out and struggles to start i.e. turns over very slowly and queitly (Like a flat Battery but this is not the case) and to start it I will need to hold the throttle to the floor and keep turning it over until it fires, may take 2-3 attempts as soon as it has started it runs very rougth but when settled down runs great again with no issues???

Anyone know where to start looking, suspect it only does this when the car hasn't been used for a couple of days so could be time related but appears very random????

Thanks for your help in advance?

Andy
Passat V6 strange starting issue help? - Roly93
A strange problem, but I would start by checking/tightening all of the earth connections you can see in the engine compartment. I think the rough running after you get it started is probably a red-herring as this would be symptomatic of a fuel injected petrol engine being 'well-flooded' after not starting first go.
Passat V6 strange starting issue help? - Alec
Check the coolant temp sender. It's a common failure on VWs and could give the syptoms you describe.
I have experienced poor starting after I ran my cold 1.8T for say 10 seconds to move the car then the next start would be really difficult and flattened the battery on one occaision.
Passat V6 strange starting issue help? - VR6
I'd second checking the earth. I had a similar problen on my '97 VW. The earth strap on the starter motor looked ok, but when poked with a screwdriver was found to be very corroded. I changed the earth strap and all was cured.