Toyota Avensis -- noisy autobox issue - martinh
Can anyone here provide further information on HJ's report that the autobox on the current hatchback Avensis is noisy?

I should be especially interested to know if the problem has been observed on the estate version, or with the 2.4-litre petrol engine (which is no longer sold).
Toyota Avensis -- noisy autobox issue - runboy
Mmmmmm. Read HJ's report. Not sure why a 5 door auto would be different to a 4 door auto-as fas as I know they are the same.

The difference will be with the 1.8/2.0 which has a 4 speed, the 2.4 has a 5 speed.

I have a 2004 5 door, 2.0 auto Avensis and can not identify any noise issues with my auto box.

Have you posted the question/searched the archives of the Toyota Owners Club which has a fairly active Avensis forum?

There has been a lot of talk about the 17 inch wheels of the T4/Tspirit models etc causing more noise than the 16 inch wheels, with some people even changing to the lower spec wheels on their higher spec cars such is the reduction in road noise.
Toyota Avensis -- noisy autobox issue - martinh
Have you posted the question/searched the archives of the Toyota Owners
Club which has a fairly active Avensis forum?

That would clearly be the smart thing to do.
There has been a lot of talk about the 17 inch
wheels of the T4/Tspirit models etc causing more noise than the
16 inch wheels, with some people even changing to the lower
spec wheels on their higher spec cars such is the reduction
in road noise.

...and HJ has commented that in the recent Avensis refresh, Toyota changed the tyres from 45-series to 55-series. Makes sense if there are lots of speed humps where you drive.

Do you find the 2.0 litre auto reasonably sprighty? I will have to change the V6 Camry soon and will miss its turn of speed.
Toyota Avensis -- noisy autobox issue - runboy
Yes, the 2.0 is fine. As with all VVTI engines it needs a bit of revs to build up speed, but with the auto box just keep your foot down on the pedal when moving off and it won't change up too soon. Or just drive normally and settle down to a relaxing, smooth drive.

The sequential setting is great for over taking as you don't have to wait for kick down-slot it into 2nd and you are away with no change up so you can build up a darn good speed quickly.

I love it anyway!