Views on Tailgating article - stevied
Anyone read Colin Goodwin's article about tailgating in this week's Autocar?

I'm not going to give my précis, as it'll get picked to shreds.... if anyone HAS read it, let me know your views! : )
Views on Tailgating article - PW
Is there an online version- or any links for those of us who haven't?
Views on Tailgating article - madf
Anyone read Colin Goodwin's article about tailgating in this week's Autocar?

No...
madf
Ignoring the sarcasm above : ) I have looked on the Autocar site and there doesn't appear to be a link.

Basically, Mr Goodwin saw an unmarked Octavia on the motorway near Reading, it moved into the outside lane for no reason and wouldn't move back in, although it was blocking the progress of other outside lane users. The bloke behind him eventually tired and got a little bit close, and the Octavia put on it's hidden rear red lights.

Cue "if they weren't going over 70 it wouldn't happen" etc.. but isn't this, and Colin Goodwin says this NOT me just commenting on it, somewhat provocative? Provoking a reaction then telling off? And isn't it a carp way of "teaching" and a waste of police resource, which is laughably over-stretched anyway?

I'd love, and I know I always say this, to hear a policeman's view on this.
Views on Tailgating article - daveyjp
I believe an unmarked car tried to do this to me on the M1 on a quiet Sunday morning, but I'd clocked the epilettes and white shirts well before they began their little game.
Views on Tailgating article - Altea Ego
They worked for securicor.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Views on Tailgating article - Cliff Pope
The bloke behind him eventually tired and
got a little bit close, and the Octavia put on it's
hidden rear red lights.

What are hidden rear red lights, and where do the police come into the story? I thought they had blue lights?
Views on Tailgating article - No FM2R
>>I thought they had blue lights?

That's because they hid the red ones.
Views on Tailgating article - jase1
So what is the correct approach to an idiot driver who does something like this?

Go into the middle lane, follow behind and flash lights/gesticulate?

How would the police react if you did that?

Obviously undertaking would get you lynched of course.
Apparently, jase1, the police Octavia went back into the middle lane and our "tailgating" friend meekly followed! Goodwin apparently drove past, saying that "an immature part of me wanted them to pull ME over so I could ask them what the hell they were trying to achieve".

: )

I wish they had done that. I bet he puts up a good argument....
The Octavia was an unmarked police car, when I said it was unmarked I didn't mean it was in fantastic condition!

See, I told you I'd get picked to shreds.... : )

I am presuming here that there is a bank of warning lights that flash up "Police Obstacle.... get off my backside" or a polite equivalent.
Views on Tailgating article - PW
Small box that rises up from the rear shelf with programmable message.
Views on Tailgating article - Micky
I suppose that Plod were driving inconsiderately, or even without due care and attention by occupying the "outside" lane when the adjacent lane was available. The art is to spot these antics, I spent a couple of miles following a nice white Rover SD1 many years ago when it was easier to spot unmarked Plod; it wasn't Plod so I launched my trusty Yamahaaaahonduki past BL's fine creation in a crescendo of revs and howling exhaust .... straight towards real-Plod-with-hairdryer. The shame of it :-(

I still cringe when I recall the grin on the officer's face.
Views on Tailgating article - mr.freezer
I have experienced this type of behaviour from the police also.

On a different tack, I have just returned from a week in Portugal and was impressed by the skill of the tailgating over there. The UK tailgaters are definatly second division by comparison.
Views on Tailgating article - Old Navy
I havent driven in Portugal, however Italian tailgaters will happily drive so close that you cant see the front half of their bonnet at 130 kph.