2002 Passat 2l Petrol lighting problems - johnnyboy196
Hi,
Any help greatly appreciated on this.
Got some weird combinations of lighting problems on the beast.

Driver side sidelight doesn't work, passenger is ok.
Driver side head light OK, passenger doesn't work, but passenger side, side light comes on instead instead.

Full beam works both sides.
Parking lights work as they should do!
I've checked the fuses and they seem ok. No fuse for side lights, I assume that will be combined with the head lights?
The combination rules out bulbs.

Thanks for any help

John
2002 Passat 2l Petrol lighting problems - Big John
Could be an earth problem (especially on passender side, try wire straight from battery "-" to bulb earth) or light switch failure (less likely, side lights indivdually switched but not headlights).

Did all symptoms start at the same time?
Forgot to mention that the rear driver side light doesn't come on at all either. Passenger seems ok.

Not sure when it started happening! Only found out yesterday when I put the lights on for the first time for ages.
2002 Passat 2l Petrol lighting problems - AndyT
I would double check your fuses again. I'd have thought that there should definitely be a seperate fuse for side/tail lamp circuits on each side, especially now you say that the o/s tail lamp is not working.... ie, say a 5amp fuse for n/s side & tail, and the same for the o/s.

If you find them, and they look ok, swap them over and see if the problem is reversed.
Have a look at fuses 22 & 23, if that is of any help.
Hi,

I found the passenger head light bulb is dead, plus I kept tweaking the on/off switch for the lights, and they intermittantly come on! So I guess I've got a bad contact within the switch. Not sure if I can repair that or not, or how I get it out!

cheers
Sounds as if you need a new dip headlamp bulb for the passenger side, as the sidelight should be on anyway.

So the remaining issue is the drivers sidelight. Sorry, can't help with that one.