Oddly located fuel filler caps - stevied
Can anyone help settle a discussion at work? I mentioned my dad's old Simca that had a numberplate mounted filler cap, and a colleague mentioned that; when he used to be a petrol pump attendant, he once couldn't find the filler cap on a car. He's unsure if it was a Humber or a Hunter. I know there was some Rootes Group badge-engineering in the 70s where there was a Hunter-based Humber, does he mean this or an earlier one, or just the Hunter?

Anyone know?
Oddly located fuel filler capsq - LeighB
Some of the Fords had a filler behind the rear number plate, I remember we had a Zephyr or Zodiac not sure which, where the number plate folded down to get at the filler.
We also had a Humber Hawk at some stage, but I don't recall anything unusual about the filler on that.
I do remember the day it arrived home, brand new, stepfather very proud of new car.
Left it at front door rather than put away as we were all going out somewhere later.
Got in car to go - dark by now - swtiched on lights and car rapidly filled with horrible fumes and burning electrics smell !! Fortunately he switched off before any very serious harm done.
Had to go out in other car, very old Ford V8 Pilot .
Turned out there was a dead short in the wiring to the light in the clock above the mirror.
Oddly located fuel filler capsq - kingfisher
One of the Humbers ,may have been a Super Snipe ,had a fuel filler cap which doubled as one of the rear reflectors.
Oddly located fuel filler capsq - Cliff Pope
On my Ferguson tractor the filler is on top of the tank which is under the bonnet. 10 gallons of petrol just on top of a hot engine dosn't appear to have been a safety issue back in 1949. I fill it from a jerry can using a funnel.
Oddly located fuel filler capsq - stevied
I like the Ferguson tractor arrangement! Terribly cavalier.

Cheers for the comments chaps. We often have such discussions at work, what with us being geeks and all.... we once had a sweepstake on the identity of a car on an old picture from the BBC weather archive.

Sad.
Oddly located fuel filler capsq - Westpig
when i first passed my test i used to borrow an old Landie (re-furbished ex army).... the fuel fillers were under the seats! That didn't inspire much confidence, even to an invincible 17 year old........ have never smoked, but can't imagine lighting up would have been too sensible after a sloppy refuel
Oddly located fuel filler capsq - Cliff Pope
Cheers for the comments chaps. We often have such discussions at
work, what with us being geeks and all.... we once had
a sweepstake on the identity of a car on an old
picture from the BBC weather archive.
Sad.

Here's another sad suggestion: identify cars from pictures of their doors alone. There was someone on That's Life years ago who could identify cars from the noise the door made on closing.
Oddly located fuel filler capsq - massey
Very practical.

Gravity feed into the carb, no need for fuel pump
Oddly located fuel filler capsq - mare
I'm sure that the Hillman Hunter had the filler on the back panel: and I think that there were shortlived Singer and Humber versions of the car.

Keith Adams who did the www.austin-rover.co.uk site did one for the old Rootes group, can't find it at the moment
Oddly located fuel filler capsq - local yokel
Remember seeing a S2 landie in Zimbabwe on UK plates - fuel pump had gone, so they'd rigged up a 5 gal drum on the roof rack with a long rubber tube down to the carb.....
Oddly located fuel filler capsq - Round The Bend
Ford Corsair filler was behind the number plate.

Mare - you're right. The "Arrows" Hunter (1967 onwards) was on back panel alongside the number plate. There were Minx and Humber Sceptre versions - the Sceptre lasted into the early 1970s
_______
IanS
Oddly located fuel filler capsq - cheddar
The new BMW F800 has the filler in the side of the tail unit, behind the riders right thigh.
Oddly located fuel filler capsq - jc2
You missed out the Renault 750 or 4CV.The filler cap was in the engine compartment;the radiator cap on the outside of the car.
Oddly located fuel filler capsq - AlanGowdy
Until the late sixties VW Beetles had the filler under the front bonnet if my memory serves well.
Oddly located fuel filler capsq - bathtub tom
Fiat 850
Under (rear) engine cover, but opposite side to exhaust manifold IIRC.
What do you call a rear engine cover? Bonnet? Boot lid? Hood?
Oddly located fuel filler capsq - piggy
Fiat 850
Under (rear) engine cover, but opposite side to exhaust manifold IIRC.
What do you call a rear engine cover? Bonnet? Boot lid?
Hood?

Yes,I remember owning one of these,(coupe version).Stopped for petrol in a garage and the attendant refused to serve me claiming she`d put a similar car on fire the previous week.
I`m going back to the days when attendants ran out to pander to one`s requirements,oh happy days!
Oddly located fuel filler capsq - former farmer
Can anyone remember a Jaguar/Daimler that had two filler caps?

IIRC it was a saloon with V12engine and two fillers caps at the 'front' of the boot and at the base of the rear screen with one each side.
Oddly located fuel filler capsq - LeighB
The Mk VII Jaguar, and possibly the VIII and IX had twin fuel tanks, with a separate filler for each. There were separate fuel lines with a changeover switch, IIRC one held 12 gallons and the other 10.
As the Mk VII had a very low compression engine - designed 1948 - some petrol only 78 octane then, it would run on Pink Paraffin.
Like tractors of a similar vintage you had to start it using petrol then switch to paraffin once warmed up.
A fellow student ran an old Mk VII like this for several years. The price differential was of the order of 8:1 - no duty on Pink paraffin.
Oddly located fuel filler capsq - cheddar
Can anyone remember a Jaguar/Daimler that had two filler caps?

All series I, II and III XJ6, XJ12 and XJCs '68 to '85 IIRC?
Oddly located fuel filler capsq - jc2
Most had two tanks as well but there was a pre-war Citroen with two fillers for one tank.On the Humber Hawk/Snipe the filler cap was the off-side reflector.It has been known that for the pump operator to pull the near-side reflector off and fill the boot with fuel.
Oddly located fuel filler caps - artful dodger {P}
Surprised no one has mentioned the Hillman Imp. The tank was under the bonnet, engine in the rear. You had to lift the bonnet to fill the tank. Many a time during my student days I had strange looks at a petrol station.

--
Roger
I read frequently, but only post when I have something useful to say.