mondeo 2.0 diesel 54 plate est - trucker44
hi all, i have a problem, my mondeo with 12100 miles, have owned it for 5 months no problem, but now things are going wrong first driving from sheffield to chesterfield 5 miles from home the temp gague goes well past the red andthe car loses power, tried in other gears but no joy, then it cut out. managed to limp back at 20 mph.next morning checked the coolant etc fired it up no prob, all gagues ok, went to shops ok set off after about 3 miles the temp gague went in to red, then settled down but no noticable power loss
please help!
mondeo 2.0 diesel 54 plate est - Dynamic Dave
the temp gague goes well past the red andthe car loses power, tried in other gears but no joy,
then it cut out. managed to limp back at 20 mph.

So, did you not investigate why the car had overheated before carrying on with your journey then?
hi all , i was about 1 mile from home and as i had my young daughter with me i let it cool down checked all fluids ,all ok, it is now at the ford garage in chesterfield, yes i should have checked it out but drove slowley for the last mile, silly yes i agree. hope its not the head gasket { head in the oven time } no oil in the water, no water in the oil no white smoke, could it be a circulating problem?. we will have to see, thanks to you all who replied i will put the results on here as soon as i know anything.
mondeo 2.0 diesel 54 plate est - 547HEW
If it is not losing coolant, and not pressurising the coolant excessively (head gasket), it could be the Cylinder Head Temperature (CHT) sensor going faulty.

mondeo 2.0 diesel 54 plate est - Aprilia
If it lost power and then cut out I would suggest that there is a real overheating problem.
It should be under warranty so I would get it to a Ford agent ASAP - don't drive it with temp guage in the red.
mondeo 2.0 diesel 54 plate est - cheddar
As has been said if the "temp gague goes well past the red and the car loses power" why oh why did you not switch off!

However if there is no coolant loss etc your comment "went to shops ok set off after about 3 miles the temp gague went in to red" indicates that it is a sensor problem to me, unless you were queuing in stop/start traffic it would usually take a lot more than three miles to get anywhere near normal yet alone into the red. Otherwise perhaps a water pump problem, is the power steering ok?, p/s pump runs off the same drive as the water pump.
mondeo 2.0 diesel 54 plate est - Micky
Take it to Ford, tell them the temp needle fluctuates, don't tell them it might have overheated .....

It's a deesel, what do you expect?

Well past the red must be exciting .....
hi all garage phoned the wife, { me a hgv driver, stay out all week, yuk } she rangme told me it was the head gasket, i started to get depressed, after laughing she told me it not the gasket , its the water pump! i cannot print what i said! picking car up sat am, £ 306.85 thanks to all that wrote in.
mondeo 2.0 diesel 54 plate est - Aprilia
£ 306.85 thanks to all that wrote in.

With a 54 plate at 12100 miles shouldn't that be under warranty...?
hi there, the warranty has run out, typical the joys of motoring.
mondeo 2.0 diesel 54 plate est - Adam {P}
Run out?

54 = 2004

2004 + 3 years is.....next year.
mondeo 2.0 diesel 54 plate est - cheddar
With a 54 plate at 12100 miles shouldn't that be under
warranty...?

Thats what I thought!
mondeo 2.0 diesel 54 plate est - googolplex
Its perfectly possible if its an import. I bought mine in March 2003 on an 03 plate. It was over £5K off list price with Trade Sales - delivery miles but one registered owner.. Reason being that the car was originally purchased by a hire firm, but for some reason never registered or used. The warranty started from November 2002. As it was an import,, for me, it only had the BALANCE of the 2 year warranty and hence would have run out in November 04 - 19 months after purchase. The same could have happened here. That's one of the ways that such firms manage to churn out such bargains.

As it happens, my gamble paid off. I only had £80 in repairs to pay up to the third anniversary of ownership earlier this year and, touch wood, nothing since.