Advice: Convertibles - vmh22
I have been debating for a long time what is the best convertible to buy. I want one which is about 2 or 3 years old, has a 1.4 (or smaller) engine, when the roof is on doesn't look like a convertible, can fit 4 people in if need be, isn't common an essentiallially a little bit different. Being female I sway towards Tigras and Micra convertibles, but i feel these are somewhat cliche.
And of course I ask that the car that is good value for money.

Am i asking the impossible?!
Advice: Convertibles - Gromit {P}
Asking the impossible? If two of the four passengers are small children, no. If they're all adults, yes.

AFAIK, the Micra is a two-seater. Not sure about Tigra. The supermini-based convertibles that aren't two seaters might as well be, the back seats are so small. And, with the extra weight of the roof mechanism, they'll be slow.

Check the car-by-car-breakdown for each model you're interested in, and HJ's road test of the Micra - which also lists the competition. As you're looking for a 2003-2004 car, the shortlist won't be long. I'd have thought any of them meet the "little bit different" requirement, and that all are equally clichéd, but if anything that widens the choice for you!

Why 1.4 litre at a maximum? Insurance on a convertible will be higher anyway, engine size is unlikely to improve matters much. The older models tended to have bigger engines, so you're limiting the choice a lot.
Advice: Convertibles - Thommo
Erm well yes I think you are but car selection aside I would warn you about ragtops. I live in Guildford which is statistically the safest town in UK but even here a ragtop is untenable. Left alone for 5 minutes the local yobs will cut it open to see what they can grab inside.

Folding tin top is the only way to go which does limit your selection somewhat.
Advice: Convertibles - colinh
There was a recent report that folding metal-topped cars were being given the same insurance grouping as equivalent rag-tops - the "logic" being that you could park them with the top down, and were therefore just as vulnerable - seems odd.
Advice: Convertibles - martint123
There was a recent report that folding metal-topped cars were being
given the same insurance grouping as equivalent rag-tops - the "logic"
being that you could park them with the top down, and
were therefore just as vulnerable - seems odd.

I think most insurers will void the theft portion of their policy if parked up with the top down.
Advice: Convertibles - stunorthants
You are indeed asking the impossible. You could perhaps get one that seats four people, perhaps one with a small engine and perhaps one with a metal folding roof ( because any canvas top car will look like a soft top ), but to get them altogether is asking for something you cannot buy.

I would say that your best bet is to try and live with a canvas roof and it may atleast open up some possibilities for your other requirements.

Small engined convertibles have little market unless they are two seaters due to the weight of convertible gubbins which blunts performance.

If the people are small people, the 206 CC fits your specs if you can live with a 1.6, but the back seats arent good for anything other than a short trip.
There is also the Citroen Plurial but frankly, id rather stick pins in my eyes than have one of them, even my mother didnt like them and shes not fussy. It is however available with a 1.4 engine and prob has more space in the back than a 206 CC.

The Tigra is much the same concept as the 206 but again, rear seat space is hardly useful so does it really meet your specs.

Basically, small convertibles with small engines do not come with huge interiors to properly seat 4 people. Unless you want a Plurial!
Advice: Convertibles - IanJohnson
To give you some idea why they don't make small engined convertibles the (4 seater) EOS we collected last week is 120kg (or approx two people) heavier than my (5 seater) Accord estate - and the Accord is diesel which is normally the heavier version!