Mazda MX-6 - Jonathan Cundall
I currently drive a mazda mx-6 (as the subject indicates) and find it a very fun drive (although the cabin is a bit rattly) on a 94M with 77k.

I have read the manual and spec which states that it is a 60 litre fuel tank. I have never been able to put anywhere near 60 litres in. The fuel warning light comes on just under the 1/4 tank mark and if I fill up straight away it usually comes to 35 or 40. I understand that the car is low and the fuel tank is probably designed around the spare wheel, but is this common, or can I drive to what I should expect the car to be able to do on a full tank (some 350 miles) or keep on filling up at 250 - 300 miles?

Second point, it has recently started making knocking noises from the steering when making fairly tight right hand turns at low speeds. I have checked the PAS and pulled against the end of the steering and there is no give (and the motor whines correctly too). Any suggestions, or am I just being over cautious?

Many Thanks

Jonathan
Re: Mazda MX-6 - honest john
The fuel warning light is probably crying wolf. I regularly put 50 litres into a Mondeo after having run 400 - 450 miles. So are you brave? Don't use as much lock on corners. If you still get a rattle, it could be (ouch, expensive) drive shafts. Haynes does a combined manual for the American spec MX6, 626 and Probe. Might be useful.

HJ
Re: Mazda MX-6 - Jonathan Cundall
HJ Thanks

I have a suspision that it may be the wheel bearings. Is this likely to prove expensive?

Also, my brother is emigrating to Canada soon and has offered me first refusal on his M635i, its a 85C with about 85k, but is absolutely mint, any known problems with these (except 15mpg!!!)

Jonathan
Re: Mazda MX-6 - thanks - Jonathan Cundall
HJ Thanks

If I am brave and run out of petrol what could happen to the engine (providing I'm not on the M'way, and i have a jerry can in the boot)? This should give me an indication of the mileage I can drive to...

Jonathan
Re: Mazda MX-6 - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up Ltd.)
See earlier thread on a Renault Scenic re: odd shaped fuel tanks.
The knocking is almost certainly one of the CV joints. Don't go to Mazda for the parts. Find a local Motor factor who stocks "SHAFTEC" reconditioned units. (I use PMA Ltd 01403 266444)
Good Luck
Re: Mazda MX-6 - phil garner
I had the same knocking on my Golf. It was CV joint, but I drove it for hundreds of miles with it knocking and nothing happened, just replaced it when I could get to German and Swedish. When it starts to get *really* loud then you need to start worrying. Not the easiest job either.