Honda Happiness - PST
Some of you might remember the thread where I whinged about being a one car household and how the wife was gradually trying to destroy what was "my" car. The good news is we have now bought a second one.

Now I'm not the most experienced when it comes to buying used privately but I went through the motions of prodding various bits, looking wisely at the oil and nodding sagely at the paperwork. It seemed to intimidate the vendor and enabled me to force an unimpressive 4% discount out of her.

Anyway, we've ended up with a 1998 Honda CRV 2.0 petrol with which the wife is very pleased. I wanted an oil and timing belt change so initially booked it in to an independent but then came across Honda Happiness.

This scheme enabled me to get the timing belt changed and a service (including oil, filters, brakes adjusted, coolant changed, sticking tailgate lock sorted and about 30 other items checked) for £200 all in at a Honda main dealer. And Mr Happiness himself gleefully told me that it was over 5 hours of labour and what a good deal it was.

And I actually think it was...I was pleasantly surprised!

But the main bonus is that my Scooby is now emptied of child paraphernalia and shoes and I no longer have to try and get in the drivers seat with my nose against the windscreen and my knees round my ears because the missus went out in it 10 minutes previously.
Honda Happiness - Aprilia
I believe this is one of those schemes that applies to cars older than a certain age? Presumably older cars are much easier to repair and so the labour charge can be a lot lower......?
Honda Happiness - type's'
I'm not sure that is totally true - I think it is an attempt by the car companies to keep 'older car' owners in the dealerships and stop the business going to the independents.
A cambelt change on a new engine should not be much more than on a old engine.
Newer engines are usaully designed with less maintenence requirements - or so they tell us when selling the car ?

They continue to hang just fine man.
Honda Happiness - Clouddz
PST,

Are you sure they actually changed other things besides the Oil/Filter? as I thought it was a free complimentary Basic check
and the only thing they actually change is the oil/filter and not the Engine Air filter etc, but they do provide a report.

Clouddz

Honda Happiness - Pugugly {P}
Scooby is now emptied of child paraphernalia

Worth every last penny.
Honda Happiness - Bill Payer
'They' obviously subsidise this with the charges they hit newer Honda owners with - I just paid £210 for (basically) an oil change on our Jazz. Roll on old age.
Honda Happiness - Aprilia
I'm not sure that is totally true - I think it
is an attempt by the car companies to keep 'older car'
owners in the dealerships and stop the business going to the
independents.

LOL! I was taking the Mick. In many cases these 'older cars' (3+ years) will have exactly the same mechanicals as newer cars for which the dealers will be charging 2-3 times as much for the same job! I just wonder how they justify it....
Honda Happiness - nortones2
They have a fixed price tariff: front brake pads and discs £215. Brake pads front: £85. I had mfront pads replaced by the local Honda dealer for £65 all in. if you don't like the price, you can shop around, I guess. Seems quite a reasonable arrangement.
Honda Happiness - PST
Yes, to clarify it applies to cars 3 years of age or older. I suppose my point was my local independent could have done a reasonable service for about £80. But I then had visions of asking them to do the timing belt they'd come up with delays in getting the parts, special tools needed etc etc and it's more of my time wasted trying to deal with it.

Maybe that's unfair but when Honda came up with their deal (and they reckoned on 2.5 hours for the timing belt change) I didn't think it unreasonable. Subtract the standard cost of their basic check and the belt change was effectively £135.

As nortones says, they have a fixed price tariff for a variety of items and it might only be a few pounds here and there saved if you shopped around. Of course, they are trying to hook you into using their services and in fact came up with a couple of suspension items that would need changing on the CRV but refreshingly there was no pressure to have them changed and prices were quoted in order for me to shop around.

In comparison I've got to take the Subaru in for a minor service in 1000 miles time - it'll basically be an oil and filter change and there won't be much change out of £250.
Honda Happiness - cheddar
Earlier this year my local Ford dealer were offering a std service on a Mondeo for £99 based on the car being over three years old, normal price IRO £145, I took them up on it, turns out the special offer service did not include a pollen filter though still a good saving.

The likes of Ford Rapid Fit and Renault Minute provide the same kind of service as Honda Happiness, when I had the wife's Clio's cambelt done the Renault dealer service dept wanted IIRC £300 though the Renault Minute dept over the road did it for £195 including an oil and filter change and a Renault stamp in the book, same parts etc.
Honda Happiness - aenry
They are trying to hook you into using their services and in fact came up with a couple of household items that would need changing on CRV .
Honda Happiness - aenry

I want to have a new household Items too,but there are no brand to choose in the shop.

Edited by aenry on 30/09/2011 at 09:56