BHP of a 1.4 K-series? - Simon (Anne\'s Other Half)
Hi,

How can I tell the bhp of a K-series by looking at it?

I've been offered a Rover 200 by the bloke who lives next door. I don't want the car, just the engine and gear box to replace the one in my GTM K3 kit car. The trouble is that he does not know the bhp of the engine, and I can't work it out either....
I'ts an L-reg 214, 3 door coupe, but we're not sure whether it's a 214i, or 214, which means (as it's the single cam) it could be the 75bhp or 95bhp. I'm not interested if it's the 75, but am if it's the 95.....

Is there any clues to tell me, numbers, bits of kit, shape of components, etc...?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Simon
BHP of a 1.4 K-series? - SjB {P}
If it's single cam then it's 8V and 75bhp.
The 95 and 103bhp units were double overhead cam 16V units.
BHP of a 1.4 K-series? - cheddar
If it's single cam then it's 8V and 75bhp.
The 95 and 103bhp units were double overhead cam 16V units.

And of the latter the 95bhp was single point injcetion and the 103 bhp multi point injection.

Are you sure it is a single cam, if so it is 75 bhp though if it is a "214, 3 door coupe" as opposed to a base model 3dr hatch then I would think it would be the 103 bhp multipoint twin cam.
>Are you sure it is a single cam

The rocker box cover is only single cam depth. Just the same size as it was on my old 1.1 K metro.
So you reckon this is just the 75bhp then?
BHP of a 1.4 K-series? - VR6
If it helps....My dads old 214 of the same vintage had 'twin cam' written on the manifold.
So you reckon this is just the 75bhp then?

Sounds like it, is it a coupe or a 3dr?
BHP of a 1.4 K-series? - Dynamic Dave
I'ts an L-reg 214, 3 door coupe, but we're not sure whether it's a 214i, or 214.

Surely if it's an L reg (1993 / 1994), then it will be injection? ie, 214i
That's what I thought.
What's confusing me is the table of engines, bhp and cars here:

www.austin-rover.co.uk/index.htm?enginekseriesf.htm

The 214 has the more powerful engine, the 214i the lower......
It definitely only has the single cam, no twin cam markings, but has the triangular air filter cover on it.
BHP of a 1.4 K-series? - Civic8
All the K series are injection either single point or multi,some of the early ones were single point
--
Steve
BHP of a 1.4 K-series? - Xileno {P}
Some of the early K's fitted to the 200 were carb.
Some of the early K's fitted to the 200 were carb.

Likewise the Metro, the 1.1 and 1.4 8vs were carb to approx mid '93 IIRC then single point injection and the 1.4 16vs were 95bhp single point to about early/mid '92 then 103 bhp multi point injection.
BHP of a 1.4 K-series? - blue_haddock
I once had a 1.4 16v MPi Metro GTi and it was pretty damn nippy - thats the one i'd be looking for