Jap Auto Diesel - type's'
Whilst doing a bit of forward planning and having driven a 320d auto for a while I started to search the auto web sites for a Lexus / Honda / Toyota diesel auto. Particulalry as the recent gains in diesel exhaust technology are making them cleaner.
Why don't they make them though or am I not looking in the right place ?
It's a shame really because if you read reports about Honda's auto in the Accord it is supposed to be a cracking box (cracking as in good or wicked if you know what I mean).
Jap Auto Diesel - Honestjohn
Can't take the torque characteristics of the diesel engine and fit in the car. The Japs make a lot of diesel auto vans, buses and SUVs, but not cars.

HJ
Jap Auto Diesel - GregSwain
How come the Koreans have done it with the Hyundai Sonata? It's only a 2 litre diesel, but still manages 0-60 in 11 seconds with an autobox. Not a light car either. How it feels to actually drive this engine/gearbox combination is another matter though I suppose...
Many thanks for the info HJ
Jap Auto Diesel - Honestjohn
The Koreans have done it with the new KIA Carens too. Probably the same engine and 4-speed autobox. Test of that coming up this weekend. The Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 5-speed auto is the best engine and transmission combination in the Santa Fe range. The Koreans engine and transmission share. And though there was a JATCO 5-speed autobox that worked fine in the Rover 75 diesel, Shalambra diesel and Freelander TD4 Toyota and Honda seem to prefer to build their own and have not done so for their diesel cars, though Toyota does for its rear-drive trucks, SUVs and minibuses.

HJ

Jap Auto Diesel - Aprilia
Its more of a question of their European marketing strategy than anything technical.

The Japanese have made a quite large number of Diesel autos. In Singapore the Toyota Crown Diesel auto is the main taxi vehicle (but is RWD). Toyota have made a lot of FWD Diesel autos, but not sold them in the UK. There are quite a few running around as 'grey imports' in the UK and Ireland. There are Toyota Tercel 1.5D autos, Corolla 2.2D autos and I knew a chap who had a mid-90's Carina Diesel auto - I think it was a 2.0. I put new front pads and discs on it when he first bought it.

Hyundai use a Mitsubishi transmission in their FWD cars. Most auto's are easily modified for Diesel use, its mainly a case of using a different torque convertor. Most TC's for petrol engines have a TC ratio of up to 2:1. On a Diesel the TC is redesigned to have a lower TC ratio and the stall speed is lower, this is acheived by changing the size and angle of the impeller, turbine and stator blades. In terms of torque-handling, most auto geartrains are vastly overspecified for their application; e.g. the JATCO 'box used in the Primera is essentially the same unit that Nissan use with their VQ35 engine (3.5 litre) in cars like the 350Z.
Jap Auto Diesel - Bill Payer
I would almost certainly have bought an Accord if diesel auto had been available, and if ever a car was crying out for a auto, it's the diesel Honda FRV.

Jap Auto Diesel - machika
I have never understood it either, as diesel autos are becoming ever more common, although they are strangely absent from a lot of very popular cars, particularly cars like the Astra, C4 and 307. Some, like the Astra range, offer a semi automatic, but I have yet to come across a decent semi-automatic box. The Focus has the option of the CVT box, but I don't know how common these are, or whether the are any good.

It is a bit difficult to understand why Honda and Toyota have not made it and option with the Accord or Avensis.
Jap Auto Diesel - Avant
From my current experience I don't find 4 cylinders + diesel + automatic a pleasant combination, purely because of the quality of the noise it makes (Mercedes B-class in my case). I don't imagine it's any noisier than a manual in pure decibel terms, but the monotonous done is sonethin g that I find very wearing. My last car also had a CVT autobox, but it had 6 cylinders and from inside you could hardly tell it was a diesel.
I recently drove a 2.0 tdi Jetta hire car in Switzerland with an Auto box (DSG).
It was horrible and reminded me of how rough VW diesels are and why I did not like them.
I then got back into a 320d auto in the UK and it was a world apart - very smooth and quiet and it got me thinking about the Toyota & Honda diesel engines and how refined they are in comparison to VW and even BMW (particulalrly the Honda Accord diesel) but when I looked for an auto I could not find one.
From my current experience I don't find 4 cylinders + diesel
+ automatic a pleasant combination, purely because of the quality of
the noise it makes (Mercedes B-class in my case). I
don't imagine it's any noisier than a manual in pure decibel
terms, but the monotonous done is sonethin g that I find
very wearing. My last car also had a CVT
autobox, but it had 6 cylinders and from inside you could
hardly tell it was a diesel.

Your Mercedes may drone, my C5 HDI certainly doesn't. The only downside is it only has a four speed box. Five would improve it.
Jap Auto Diesel - Micky
Historically, 3 speed auto and deeseil never worked because the rev range for a deesel was narrower than a petrol; modern turbo-dsils probably have a wider rev range (?), but anyone who wants an auto is probably too far over the hill to handle the massive power that a turbo-deasil produces .....
but anyone who wants
an auto is probably too far over the hill to handle
the massive power that a turbo-deasil produces .....

>>

That includes the majority of the population of the USA, I would have thought. The mind boggles!
Jap Auto Diesel - GregSwain
In an ideal world I'd have an auto, and I'm only 21! I'm lazy, rather than "over the hill".

Ask Honest John

Value my car