Jap Auto Diesel - type's'
Whilst doing a bit of forward planning and having driven a 320d auto for a while I started to search the auto web sites for a Lexus / Honda / Toyota diesel auto. Particulalry as the recent gains in diesel exhaust technology are making them cleaner.
Why don't they make them though or am I not looking in the right place ?
It's a shame really because if you read reports about Honda's auto in the Accord it is supposed to be a cracking box (cracking as in good or wicked if you know what I mean).
Jap Auto Diesel - Avant
From my current experience I don't find 4 cylinders + diesel + automatic a pleasant combination, purely because of the quality of the noise it makes (Mercedes B-class in my case). I don't imagine it's any noisier than a manual in pure decibel terms, but the monotonous done is sonethin g that I find very wearing. My last car also had a CVT autobox, but it had 6 cylinders and from inside you could hardly tell it was a diesel.
Jap Auto Diesel - type's'
I recently drove a 2.0 tdi Jetta hire car in Switzerland with an Auto box (DSG).
It was horrible and reminded me of how rough VW diesels are and why I did not like them.
I then got back into a 320d auto in the UK and it was a world apart - very smooth and quiet and it got me thinking about the Toyota & Honda diesel engines and how refined they are in comparison to VW and even BMW (particulalrly the Honda Accord diesel) but when I looked for an auto I could not find one.
Jap Auto Diesel - machika
From my current experience I don't find 4 cylinders + diesel
+ automatic a pleasant combination, purely because of the quality of
the noise it makes (Mercedes B-class in my case). I
don't imagine it's any noisier than a manual in pure decibel
terms, but the monotonous done is sonethin g that I find
very wearing. My last car also had a CVT
autobox, but it had 6 cylinders and from inside you could
hardly tell it was a diesel.

Your Mercedes may drone, my C5 HDI certainly doesn't. The only downside is it only has a four speed box. Five would improve it.
Jap Auto Diesel - Micky
Historically, 3 speed auto and deeseil never worked because the rev range for a deesel was narrower than a petrol; modern turbo-dsils probably have a wider rev range (?), but anyone who wants an auto is probably too far over the hill to handle the massive power that a turbo-deasil produces .....
Jap Auto Diesel - machika
but anyone who wants
an auto is probably too far over the hill to handle
the massive power that a turbo-deasil produces .....

>>

That includes the majority of the population of the USA, I would have thought. The mind boggles!
Jap Auto Diesel - GregSwain
In an ideal world I'd have an auto, and I'm only 21! I'm lazy, rather than "over the hill".