what do folks think about wide A pillars - scott bell

Hi,

Recently been looking at a Zafira, and one of the negatives listed about the vehicle is the width of the A Pillars. Basically, blind spots that can potentially lead to accidents, particularly at roundabouts.

Looking at most modern cars, this seems a problem that is fairly widespread.

What do people think, do driving MPVs like the Zafira require extra work? etc, do particular "bad" drivers + wide A Pillars cause the problem, not A pillars themselves?

I would be interested to learn people's experiences. There are a number of people and agencies out there saying these pillars which cause blind spots need more regulation etc.

sc
what do folks think about wide A pillars - mare
I had a Citroen C 3 until the wife bagged it. It has sweeping A pillars that some journalists would have you believe are lethal.

They're fine. Never had a problem in the last year that we've had the car.
what do folks think about wide A pillars - Robin Reliant
The worst I've experienced was on an Audi A2. I loved the car, a 3 pot diesel, but the massive blind spot from the curved A pillars would alone have put me off buying it.
--
what do folks think about wide A pillars - Altea Ego
Very big, very fat, very wide A pillars on the Touran.

In fact they are so wide, you know they are there all the time, so you actually look round them either side. In fact it makes it safer because you are more careful.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
what do folks think about wide A pillars - daveyjp
I had an A2 and like most negative things picked up by those who only drive the car for a review you get used to it. As TVM says, you are aware of their presence and adjust accordingly.
what do folks think about wide A pillars - Sheepy-by-the-Sea
Try riding a motorbike, and see how often you don't see the driver's face. I think Autoglass has a campaign on at the minute, shows how a bike can be completely obscured.

And the Zafira (had one on hire for a fortnight) was one of the worst cars I've ever driven when it comes to visibility. I drove round a roundabout, following a scooter which I knew was there somewhere, but I actually couldn't see it all the way round without craning my neck.

thanks..some good points.

getting used to the pillars is important. i also i guess have to think...they are there for a reason, safety.

on the new Picasso however, the pillars are supposed to be thin, since the energy is channelled along the door frame....

only problem was, the ncap score wasn't very good! back to the thick pillars then!
what do folks think about wide A pillars - audiaudi
I've driven for many years and have owned several cars and driven many others.

The C pollars are getting wider every year to improve the crash impact and help obatian a 5 star EuroNcap award. The down side is, vast blind spots! on nearly every large/mid sized car.!
what do folks think about wide A pillars - bell boy
hate them ,so easy to miss a bike at a junction.
what do folks think about wide A pillars - mike hannon
It isn't necessarily the width, it's the positioning and the angle, isn't it? I don't think you should have to 'get used to' something like that - it's a primary safety issue.
what do folks think about wide A pillars - Xileno {P}
Necessary for added strength, NCAP and all that.
Necessary for added strength, NCAP and all that.

says to me then the shell as a whole is weak ,..........alla the hilman avenger that couldnt have a sunroof
what do folks think about wide A pillars - TheOilBurner
on the new Picasso however, the pillars are supposed to be
thin, since the energy is channelled along the door frame....
only problem was, the ncap score wasn't very good! back to
the thick pillars then!

Eh? The New C4 Picasso scored 5 star Ncap. The only complaints Ncap had about the general crash safety was that some interior surfaces could be dangerous. There was no problem with structual rigidity. Front score 94%. Compare that to the latest Zafira with the thicker A-pillars, front score 88%.

So, it just goes to show that there is some room for improvement with A-pillar design yet. The new Picasso is a step in the right direction, thick A-pillars is just lazy design, it can be overcome IMO.
what do folks think about wide A pillars - Victorbox
In relation to the latest Zafira, I've not found the A pillars a problem. The pillar is split with an extra window in it anyway which I then partially fill up with a mobile 'phone holder rather than obscure part of the windscreen. Rest of the all round vision is superb unless you are short & can't be bothered to adjust the seat height properly.
what do folks think about wide A pillars - rtj70
Agree its all down to strenghtening the cars for better crash protection. Mondeo is not too bad but when the pillar obstructing view I look either side - no hastle just automatically do it to see.

Didn't Volvo have a concept car with "transparent" A-Pillars... not in production yet though. It was like a lattice inside so you looked through.
what do folks think about wide A pillars - Dynamic Dave
Worst vehicle I've so far driven that has terrible blind spots caused by the A pillar was a Citroen Berlingo Van.
what do folks think about wide A pillars - tyro
Worst vehicle I've so far driven that has terrible blind spots
caused by the A pillar was a Citroen Berlingo Van.

Interesting. I would imagine the van's A pillar blind spots would be exactly the same as the that of the Multispace - but I can't say that I have ever noticed a problem - and I've been driving a Berlingo Multispace for over 4 years now.
i have this vision that DD is a big man and sits nearer the screen than me,
what do folks think about wide A pillars - bazza1603
Try a Vauxhall Meriva. While joining from a slip road, cars could be completely hidden if both vehicles are doing the same speed. Roundabout are a no no. I test drove one for half a day and I had to stop at every single roundabout as I found it difficult to check multi directions at the same time...

I live in Cramlington, which is the Norths answer to Milton Keynes for Roundabouts as well!!!

Regards

Baz

sorry to hear you live in cramlington bazza1603 has your passport been confiscated?
what do folks think about wide A pillars - Stuartli
Part of the problem is even more steeply raked windscreens - the nearer you are to the A pillars the more the visibility is reduced.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
what do folks think about wide A pillars - type's'
I think they are a necessary evil for safety and obtaining the 4 or 5 *s that we all want in our cars - if you know what I mean.
TVM has summed it up nicely - look round them and they should not be a problem.
As someone says the press articles call them lethal because it assumes we can only move our eyes when in a car and do not adjustments for the additional built in protection they afford us.
what do folks think about wide A pillars - Robin Reliant
I don't find it an acceptable answer that you can "look round" an A pillar that is causing a blind spot. That may be alright at junctions where you are concious of the need for observation, but there are many occassions on the road when you have to adjust the position of the vehicle because of movements you have seen because you are paying attention to what is going on around you rather than looking for a specific threat.

This is particularly true in busy city streets where badly positioned A pillars obscure both junctions and pedestrians on the edge of the pavement.
--
what do folks think about wide A pillars - GregSwain
I drove a pre-facelift Hyundai Getz a couple of years ago, and it's the only car I've ever driven where I considered the A-pillars dangerous. I had to stop at every small roundabout and look around them. On the motorways and rural roads it was fine, ironic really as it's meant to be a city-going car. It's all very well making cars stronger in case of an accident, but not if you end up causing more accidents in the process.
what do folks think about wide A pillars - Altea Ego
I had to stop at every small roundabout and look around them

that is a safety improvement, it makes you think more about your driving and taking more care.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
what do folks think about wide A pillars - type's'
>>don't find it an acceptable answer that you can "look round" an A pillar that is causing a blind spot.<<

OK Robin Reliant I agree with you, when driving normally and not at a junction I shall continue to keep my head in a fixed position - stuck to the headrest, only move my eyes and let that blind spot do it's stuff.

We all look over our shoulders to overcome the side mirror blind spot when driving normally - going round prked cars etc so why not with the A pillar.
what do folks think about wide A pillars - mike hannon
I still think you are wrong, TVM. One day the extra look won't happen, and then what?
Am I the only person out here who isn't really bothered about 4 or 5 star NCAP?
Ducks back below the parapet...
what do folks think about wide A pillars - GregSwain
that is a safety improvement, it makes you think more about
your driving and taking more care.

I'd rather be able to look on approach to the roundabout rather than having to come grinding to a halt because I can't see anything but the A-pillar. That doesn't seem like a safety improvement to me.

had a go in a zafira at the weekend, and yes, to be honest, i went there looking to try out the pillars, and afterwards, i realised i hadnt even noticed them, to bothered getting used to the gears and pedals.

frankly, you need to be in the car on a long drive i think and lots of roundabouts.

however, since you tend to sit well back in these cars, the pillars tended not to bother me.

further away you are from them, the less angle obviously they obscure.
what do folks think about wide A pillars - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
My 2002 Passat has a pretty thick A pillar in an awkward place. I've occasionally to look out of the side window on tight bends. On balance the added safety for me wins. And I am a motorcyclist.
The new model Passat seems to be even worse.
--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.
what do folks think about wide A pillars - PW
Got this on my Picasso. Although there is a secondary window between A Pillar and front door, cars can get lost from view in there. Got to agree with TVM in that I move my head around and take more care to ensure that there is nothing coming at me.

Live on a newish estate, with narrow lanes and nigh on invisible markings (so often get cars coming out of hidden side turnings unaware they have to stop) and not really had a problem. Don't have to keep stopping to check and only had one near miss (which is when I discovered this problem).

Probably look a bit odd bobbing round to double check though- but then again I don't care about that.