Can I use paint thinner on glass? - VR6
My whole windscreen is covered in paint specs from when I had a door resprayed. I've tried everything to get rid of them. Would using paint thinner be ok? As long as I was careful not to get it all over the body work?
Can I use paint thinner on glass? - glowplug
If it's dry paint use T cut instead? Or a nylon kitchen pad.
---
Xantia HDi.

Buy a Citroen and get to know the local GSF staff better...
Can I use paint thinner on glass? - Armitage Shanks {p}
Do NOT, under any circumstances use a nylon kitchen pad. I know from bitter experience that use if one can put a myriad number of very shallow but highly annoying scratches on glass. Often not a problem but driving towards a low sun or oncoming car's headlights - bad news!
Can I use paint thinner on glass? - Lud
A sharp blade, but one with rounded corners, carefully used, will get paint off glass. If the corners are sharp there's a risk of scratching the glass.
Can I use paint thinner on glass? - caesar
You can use thinners if your very careful but make sure you wipe down the glass afterwards(a few times) with a cloth and dont use a hose to spray the glass.Have you tried claying the glass as putting anything near your car that can effect paint finish should be bottom of your list.
Can I use paint thinner on glass? - martint123
Modern paints harden chemically rather than by evaporation unless they were a bit back street using cellulose. so thinners won't touch it. A sharp edge should shift it - I've used both a single sided safety razor blade and a refill blade for those craft knives.
Can I use paint thinner on glass? - oldgit
Can you explain what you mean by paint thinner? As it is the result of a respray, then I assume that something like Cellulose thinners could be used with the proviso of not getting it on your paintwork!
Anyway, if you only apply some to a cloth and rub the offending areas, then this should be OK. Solvents such as White Spirit or Turps won't shift respray/overspray.

Let's face it, the windscreen won't be damaged by any solvent you try, such as Acetone even, but obviously, in any event, you must not let it drip onto your paintwork.
If this is a very recent event then you could try rubbing-in something like Swarfega etc and then rubbing off with dry cloths..................................and now the experts, please.
Can I use paint thinner on glass? - Roly93
Yes as long as you are careful. You could also try scraping with a stanley knife blade.
Can I use paint thinner on glass? - bell boy
oldgits got it right,with the best will in the world some paint sometimes gets onto the glass
As said put some thinners on a lint free cloth and wipe all the glass ,try and miss the rubbers or you black streak everything.
A proper window scraper is good (all decent paint stores stock them) but the blade can dig into the glass and it will leave a permanent mark
Can I use paint thinner on glass? - cheddar
Celullose thinners will not harm glass though will harm window rubbers, wipers, paintwork etc.

As said above T-Cut will do the job beautifully, it actually clean glass very well without abraiding it, wash it of with water and wipe over with vinegar and your screen will be as good as new.

A nylon scourer (white) is fine on glass and OK if used gently on paintwork however the green "brillo" type ones are best kept away from cars.
The respray was done on the cheap about 1 and a half years ago. I've been putting up with the overspray for a while, but with the low sun in the early evening its getting beyond a joke. I also think that the bits of spray are wearing out my wipers prematurely.

I have tried a clay bar which worked up to a point. What I have left on the windscreen a tiny flecks of paint which you can't really see even from close up without the sun glaring throught the windscreen.

I think I'll have a go with some t-cut, I think my dad has some in his shed. If that fails I'll try thinners (very carefully)

Thanks for the advice re: not mixing rubber and thinners - didn't even think about that one.

The respray was done on the cheap about 1 and a
half years ago. I've been putting up with the overspray
for a while, but with the low sun in the early
evening its getting beyond a joke. I also think that
the bits of spray are wearing out my wipers prematurely.

And now we hear the full story! And you have waited a full 18 months peering through a grotty windscreen and prematurely wearing out your wipers.........tut, tut tut.

Why did we all bother?
(sorry) I thought I better come clean on the matter.

Depending on the degree to which to the paint has 'cured' will depend on what can remove it and how easily.

After nearly 40 years in the paint industry in R&D and as my Ex firm's Analytical Chemist, I am still amazed (shouldn't be really) how easily some surface coatings can be removed but, as I say, it depends how long they have been 'set'.

Personally, I would start with the least polar solvents and work upwards, so to speak. The trouble with a lot of rubbing is that if one is not scrupulously clean and careful you can exacerbate the problem by scratching your windscreen with a wee bit of grit etc. picked up on your cloth.

Can I use paint thinner on glass? - Dulwich Estate
Brake fluid?
Can I use paint thinner on glass? - bell boy
Brake fluid?

dot 4 or 5 best? ;-)
Can I use paint thinner on glass? - henry k
Personally, I would start with the least polar solvents and work upwards, so to speak.

Polycell brush cleaner is another possibility. I always use it on bodywork and wheels to get tar off.

As the paint is now fully cured IMO there are only two options.
1.Grind / scrape it off. So T-Cut or a credit card or a bladed scraper
or
2. Paint stripper. I would go with paint stripper. On a dry day try it on a small area applying it very thinly. Allow it it to totally dry and then wipe of with a damp cloth and finally hose off.
Can I use paint thinner on glass? - barchettaman
Jet wash?
Can I use paint thinner on glass? - Xileno {P}
One of those glass scrapers with the Stanley blade in will do - but use gently, very little pressure.
I would be tempted to ask the body shop why they didn't used masking.
>> Personally, I would start with the least polar solvents and
work upwards, so to speak.
>>
Paint stripper. I would go with paint stripper. On
a dry day try it on a small area applying it
very thinly. Allow it it to totally dry and
then wipe of with a damp cloth and finally hose off.

Funnily enough, I was going to suggest paint stripper and wrote quite a bit about how to use it in these circumstances, however I chickened out and deleted what I'd written, when I realised what could go wrong if used incorrectly.
Our friend here has already left it for eighteen months before doing anything about this problem, it seems.
I think I've come across as a bit of an idiot in this post! I'm not, but have to put my hands up to being a bit (read: very) lazy.