Healey 100-6 - Dave
I'm wondering how fast one of these is, and how much power the 6 cyl engine puts out.

What about the previous 4 cyl which I beleive was more powerful and the later 3 litre engines which are the only ones I'd heard about...

Thanks in advance!
Re: Healey 100-6 - Ian Cook
Dave

Can't help with exactly the right vehicle, but Dad had a Wolseley 6/90 (like the police used) that I think had the same engine - 2.6 litre, push rod, straight 6 BMC lorry engine with twin SU carbs. I expect the power was about 100 to 120 BHP and, in the Wolseley, the top speed was a little over the ton (but it was a heavy car).

Someone will have the exact details, I expect. The thing that sticks in my mind about driving this beast was the appalling brake fade. If you threw the anchors out at 80mph your retardation had stopped by the time you had slowed to about 30mph. The ensuing MGA 1600 with discs was a vastly better car in this respect. I don't know what brakes the AH 100-6 had, though.

Ian
Re: Healey 100-6 - Dave
Cheers Ian! As useful, and far more interesting than the exact answer quoted from an anonymous web site somewhere!
Re: Healey 100-6 - Tom S-S
Uncle just bought a 100M having raced them and the 100-6 and 3000s in the 50s and 60s.

If I remember correctly there is in the back of one of the classic car mags a section with bhp mpg and top speed.

However I'm pretty sure the 4 cylinder engine was faster than the 6 and 3000.
Re: Healey 100-6 - Andy Bairsto
100-4 would not do 100mph in standard trim a 100-6 would.the 3000 would touch 116mph .The differnce between a 4 and 6 was tremendous ,the 6 having a much more refined ride and much better torque band.But both in there day were remarkable vevicles with beautiful body design.
Re: Healey 100-6 - Paul Richards
Have driven a Healey BN4 which obviously would have been one of the earlier 4 cylinder models and can remember it being an absolute pig to handle, - just went straight on in the corners and the drum brake fade was appalling. I know it was nearly 40 years ago, and I was in my early twenties, but I was rather fortunate not to have written car & self off !! If you are proposing to test drive one, it will certainly make you realise the advances made in the past 50 years in car handling and braking technology
Re: Healey 100-6 - Steve G
Performance figures are:
100/6 - 111mph/11.2
100/4 - 103mph/10.3
100M - 109 mph/9.6
3000 BJ8 - 122mph/9.8

Apart from the E-type probably the best looking sportscar from the 60's IMHO.
The BJ8 is quicker than todays Golf GTi. Of course Paul is right when he mentions handling/brakes. But there are upgrades available these days.I you thinking of buying one Dave ? Very good investment/toy, much more interesting than a ISA.
Re: Healey 100-6 - Dave
Not thinking of buying one Steve! There was one on the noticeboard at work for 15k. Too rich for my pocket! I still can't get 5k together for a Westie! A mate happened to say he thought they were quick and I opined that they wouldn't be. Unfortunately we didn't define quick!

Gave me a pleasent few minutes searching the web for details of these great cars. I beleive they made a few new ones again in the mid 90's.

Lovely cars though! If my premium bonds come up trumps I'll probably invest in one!