Volvo 960 or V70 - Xileno {P}
Where the second hand prices of these two overlap, which do you think is the better buy?
Anyone, please?
Volvo 960 or V70 - keo-the-dog
960 this is just an opinion as i have had one of these , an excellent fast luxo-barge but fuel consumption is poor...cheers...Keo
Volvo 960 or V70 - defender
good question, a good high spec 960 is now becoming scarcer as owners who like the rear wheel drive volvo are holding on to them as they are a well proven car which will stand the test of time ,maybe a little bit more room in the 960 but there are good points on the v70 also like better handling although tyre wear is very poor
the v70 5cylinder might be a better engine than the v6 in the 960 but I have not owned either myself although I have had 4cylinder volvos for a very long time
what are your own thoughts?
Volvo 960 or V70 - stunorthants
Id take a 960 please! Volvo isnt a Volvo without looking like a brick with doors ( and a chrome grille ). Seriously though, the 960 is no drivers car, but a great ownership prospect if you buy a good one.
Volvo 960 or V70 - SjB {P}
>>the v70 5cylinder might be a better engine than the v6 in the 960

It's actually a straight six, and some of what was learned from this engine carried over on to the modular five and six pot motors still going strong* in the current range that followed it.

The 3.0 six is actually being replaced with a brand new 3.2 litre six introduced in the new S80.
Read more, and photo, at wheels.fosfor.se/new-six-cylinder-engine-from-volv.../
Volvo 960 or V70 - SjB {P}
Oh; I forgot to give my two pennorth; if I was an antiques dealer after a cavernous boot, all things being equal I'd go for the 960. I'm not, so it would be one of the more pokey 850s or early Mk I V70s (warmed over 850s).
It's actually a straight six, and some of what was learned from this engine carried over on to the modular five and six pot motors still going strong* in the current range that followed it.
you are quite right here as I am getting confused with the older 760 which had the v6 engine I was thinking of
"what are your own thoughts?"

My thoughts are - I can't find a nice sensibly priced 240 estate (either been driven to death and beyond or ridiculously over priced) so I have been thinking of a newer Volvo. I quite fancy a 960 with that 3 litre engine.
I know exactly what you mean ,I sort of half looked for quite a while for a 2.0 litre 940 as that is what the previous one was but settled for a 2.3lpt estate
it has done 96k but has main dealer history and all bills and mots etc so should be genuine.there are still some good buys to be had but they are getting harder to find . my insurance co didnt like the idea of the 960 insured as an any driver vehicle but are ok about the 2.3lpt for some reason .might be worth checking with your ins co if you pay high ins