My Audi 80 just this minute died. - TimOrridge
Hi,

Just topped up with antifreeze 20 mins ago (correct grade for car VAG's own), started up engine spluttering for about 30 secs and just stopped. When starting just turns over. No lights on dash, plenty of fuel in and checked all plugs. Head gasket in good order. Any ideas so I can got out and try?

Audi 80 2.0e 1993
My Audi 80 just this minute died. - Big John
Did you manage to pour coolant over anything electrical?
Nope was very carefull, just put another gallon of petrol in to be safe. Tried a few starting attempts, it splutts a bit but doesnt start, foot on or off pedal.

Dad thinks timing may have slipped but cant see how? Id just arrived home form work 20 mins prior.
My Audi 80 just this minute died. - mjm
No lights on dash, just turns over, sounds like battery/battery leads/bad earth to me.
Sorry, when I meant "no lights", I meant no warning lights out of ordinary. Usual lights that come on and go off when starting appear (oil and battery). Sorry I should have stated that.
My Audi 80 just this minute died. - psi
are you sure the coolant went in the right hole? a friend has topped up his coolant with screen wash before, not the same symptoms, his car just overheated all the way up the M1
Yeah, defo sure. Done it before (on a differant car). Very strange, started car up 5 mins after topping as I was going out and it fired up and ran but when you pressed pedal it made a b-b-b-b-b noise like a misfire. Abseloutly nothing now, It might not even be the AF but very coincedental. I know it sounds wired, but trust me!
have you flooded the engine with petrol in your restart attempts? what was the petrol gauge reading when you decided to add another gallon?
Petrol gauge was reading just above reserve b4, now on qtr tank with extra gallon. Dad said it is NOT AntiFreeze that has caused problem, he is adamant that timing has slipped. Im just going to give it one last try

Is there any way to de-flood it?

Thanks for replies so far
leave it half an hour and go and try to start it again with the accelerator on the floor (release when (if) it starts) or join the AA / RAC :)
Nothing now:-( My reliable car for 18 months has let me down

Seem to think it might be related to the fuel pump? Seems to remember a self initilizing whir when turning key to igition b4 starting. Not doing that now, checked fuse seems OK. Could any audi 80 drivers watching confirm that?

When starting now no splutter just engine cranking, spluttering could have been spare fuel in lines and inlet manifold.

Other things to note

Cam belt done 3 weeks ago by mechanic, been fine tho up to now. Could tie in with timing slipping as quoted by Dad who is handy with engines

Dout the AF would have cause any problems

Keep em coming!!
My Audi 80 just this minute died. - defender
there isnt a fuel cut off switch somewhere by any chance that you set of by banging down the bonnet or something silly like that?
My Audi 80 just this minute died. - adverse camber
Tell us more about this topping up.

Why ? How much ? Where did you put it ? Did you do anything else ?

Unlikely that the timing belt has slipped.

Could you have caught / disturbed any electrical connectors ? Check ALL the fuses.

2.0E is the injection version isnt it ? What sort of injection is it ? I cant remember.

Is there fuel coming through the fuel lines ? Spark at the plugs ?
check battery terminals are connected securely, is battery in good order (try a known good),spray wd-40 on the ignition and fuel system electrical connectors especially the ht leads and ignition coil,
not sure if this car has an immobiliser that could fail? worn/faulty spark plugs, timing belt snapped?

as said try and find out if there is petrol getting in to the cylinder
Why ? I was recommended to check the AF as i had been putting palin water in before

How much ? Not sure, dad put it in 50% AF 50% water He was testing it with test tube with balls in it

Where did you put it ? It went in expansion tank, topright corner of bay looking frm front

Did you do anything else ? Nothing else mechanically

I will check fuses tomorrow morning b4 work

Ijection system is Bosch MOtronic

How would I checkfor fuel coming through?

How would I chack for a spark?

I will try anything!
My Audi 80 just this minute died. - Aprilia
When you turn the ign on you should hear the fuel pump (rear of car) whirr for about 3 seconds. If you're not hearing that then it could be the fuel pump relay.
More news on fuel pump, hope im barking up the right tree.

Checked the fuse pump fuse 15A, Blue Slot 13.
Its gone, tried another, still no whirr, checked again thats gone too i.e blown

I think some thing is blowing the fuse, can I try a higher rating fuse?
My Audi 80 just this minute died. - Collos25
NO,or you will have the car o fire.
If fuses are blowing then there is a fault - no point in going further until you have traced the fault.
Disconnect the positive feed at the pump and make sure it can't short anywhere - if the fuse still blows then there is a wiring short. If the fuse does not blow then it is the pump which is at fault and has either siezed or has an internal fault - needs a replacement.
Aprillia,

Colud you tell me the fuel pump location, and can get at it from inside or underneath of the car?
Thanks
IIRC these use a pump mounted under the rear of the car.
Right then

It was the fuel pump, coincedentally it had died just as I was putting the anti freeze (not at the same time). Theres nothing like that to give you a scare.

New pump orderd and should be in car by Thursday.

Thanks for all replies
My Audi 80 just this minute died. - Micky
">t was the fuel pump, coincedentally it had died just as I was putting the anti freeze (not at the same time). Theres nothing like that to give you a scare.<"

How odd! This type of behaviour is usually the preserve of Classic Brits. But what better way to spend an evening than fettling a previously (relatively) reliable vehicle, only to discover that a completely unrelated fault has arisen? ... er.

Typically, Classic Brit will present a relatively simple fault, the intrepid owner will be lured into investigations and partial dismantling (of the car, not the owner) and - voila - regrinding of the crankshaft is required! But what is life without challenges? Although a few less challenges would be nice ;-)
My Audi 80 just this minute died. - jc2
I've had one fault trigger another.One day,my car would not run at idle or low speed.When you got it started ,it would only run at half throttle or higher.Well,I managed to get to work and back-with an awful lot of starts.It turned out that the fuel cut-off solenoid on the carburetor had failed,so there was no fuel available at idle and part-throttle.I fixed it and found the engine would not run at all and then found that the coil had failed.All the extra starts putting 12v. thro' the 8v. coil had finished that off.New coil was fitted and everything worked.
That is similar to what I was experiencing, started car after topping up AF and car was going b-b-b-b-b, yiu could rev it and it would not rev. Setting off resulted in stalling. Oh well just as well it is fixed now.

Strangely enough, the new fuel pump quotes ranged from £62+VAT from VAG dealers AND £78 all inc form a Leading Euro Motor Factor?