Mitsubishi Colt - machika
I have just read H J's road test of the Colt Blue and, towards the end of the test ,he states that he can't understand why the car doesn't sell better than it currently does. Well, at £8500 I can think of one good reason and that is cars like the Suzuki Swift. The 1.5 Swift GLX can be had for about the same price and as well as a much more powerful engine, it comes with air con, so I think it is a much better buy.
Mitsubishi Colt - Aprilia
Agree

Looked at one of these and drove it when helping my sister to get a new small car about 6 months ago. The Colt is not bad, but no match for the 1.5GLX Swift (which she got for just under £8.5k)
Colt engine is only 1.1 and rather buzzy, also steering is not that precise and handling not as good as Swift. The centre console (where there is that long white piece of soft plastic) is rather flimsy.

Her Swift continues to go well. I drove it on Sunday morning to the riding stables (very bumpy winding country road) and the ride has softened up nicely - the engine feels far more powerful than when I last drove it (now done 3k mi., last drove it at 1k mi).
On the negative side the wiper blades seem to have worn out (!?) and the driver sun visor won't stay down properly (new one to be fitted under warranty).
Mitsubishi Colt - artful dodger {P}
When my wife was considering a new car we looked at the Colt. What ruled it out was the poor boot space that would take about 4 carrier bags only. She ended up deciding on a Kia Rio as it suited her needs best. At present a Rio Zapp is available at £7500.

When she had her car serviced last week she borrowed a new Pincanto (another useless boot) and could not believe how flimsy it was by comparison. It was a higher trim level but costs an unbelieveable £8500. Anyone buying one a Picanto with this trim level at this price must be mad.

--
Roger
I read frequently, but only post when I have something useful to say.
Mitsubishi Colt - v0n
I believe new Nissan Notes aren't very far off that price mark with online brokers selling 1.4S @ £8800...
--------------------
[Nissan 2.2 dCi are NOT Renault engines. Grrr...]
Mitsubishi Colt - jase1
When she had her car serviced last week she borrowed a
new Pincanto (another useless boot) and could not believe how flimsy
it was by comparison. It was a higher trim level but
costs an unbelieveable £8500. Anyone buying one a Picanto with this
trim level at this price must be mad.

I'd say anyone who buys any cheap supermini loaded with toys for £8000+ is insane. This is a £6000 car, you never get the value back when you come to sell and the step-up Swifts, Rios etc etc usually have the same toys the smaller car has at similar cost. These is where the depreciation disaster stories come from; to a second-hand buyer a Picanto is a Picanto, and a three year old one is worth three grand, regardless of the kit levels.

Hell, at £8500 you're almost into nearly-new Primera/Mondeo territory, with all manner of toys and gadgets. In fact, it wasn't so long ago that new Primeras were selling for £8500 with the 1.8 engine, with aircon/quality ICE/rear camera etc etc. That or a tarted up Picanto? I know which one I'd have.
Mitsubishi Colt - Altea Ego
Well firstly no one in their right mind buys the colt at £8,500. Trade sales had a big batch in that was going for between £6 & £7k depending on spec.

The boot space is laughably small and utterly impractical even as a mini shopper for the money.

------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Mitsubishi Colt - Adam {P}
And yet you could buy a 2.0 saloon Focus with cavernous boot space and loads of toys for 3 grand.

Madness!
Mitsubishi Colt - jase1
And yet you could buy a 2.0 saloon Focus with cavernous
boot space and loads of toys for 3 grand.
Madness!

Surely this applies to *any* new car though. Can get a much better second-hand one for less.

Why buy a new Focus when you can get a used BMW 3-series?

If everyone took that attitude there'd be no 5 year old Focuses at 3 grand to buy.

In any case, you buy a 5 year old car, it's only a few years away from that stage where it becomes potentially an expensive liability. At 7 or 8 years old, if the car goes bang you're in the position where it's too expensive to scrap, but too old to be able to write off a big repair without much clenching of teeth.
Mitsubishi Colt - Adam {P}
>>In any case, you buy a 5 year old car, it's only a few years away from that stage where it becomes potentially an expensive liability. At 7 or 8 years old, if the car goes bang you're in the position where it's too expensive to scrap, but too old to be able to write off a big repair without much clenching of teeth.<<

Had I been being serious, then yes - I would agree with you. It was a comment designed to get RF to make some stupid remark but alas, he never took the bait.
Mitsubishi Colt - v0n
Well firstly no one in their right mind buys the colt
at £8,500. Trade sales had a big batch in that was
going for between £6 & £7k depending on spec.

Don't trade-sales sell used though?

--------------------
[Nissan 2.2 dCi are NOT Renault engines. Grrr...]
Mitsubishi Colt - Altea Ego
They had a fat batch of new unregistered and dealer registered on the lot when i was there.

The web site just lists second hand ones tho it seems

Trade Sales web site tends not to reflect what they have on the lot.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
The Colt Blue is around £8500 on drivethedeal.com. There is no discount whatsoever. Looks like Mitsubishi are shooting themselves in the foot if they carry on with that policy.
Well firstly no one in their right mind buys the colt
at £8,500.

Which is probably why they aren't selling well, as there appears to be little or no discount available.
Mitsubishi Colt - Rocca
£8.5k?

Wife paid just £6k for brand new Colt 1.1 3dr from Mistubishi dealer a couple of months ago. Couldn't get equivalent Swift, Yaris, etc., etc., for anywhere near the same money.

Car is excellent in every respect. The boot is small when the rear seat is slid fully back, but this is offset by clever & quick to use sliding/ folding mechanism.
Mitsubishi Colt - dalfruin
I am actually looking for a small car for my son and have been watching this thread and the cheapest new car thread.

I have been offered a Silver CZ1 pre reg 56 for 6250 from a dealer and have found the Blue special edition at www.simpledeal.co.uk/vehicles/Car_Detail.asp?ID=24...c******=6&Cat=1

I have no association with either source (and have not decided what to buy yet) but discounts are available.
Mitsubishi Colt - jase1
The thing is I think around £6000 for a quality car like this from a respected Japanese marque is always going to be good value for money. Speaking as a Hyundai owner myself, you can take your chances with the cheaper makes (Hyundai/Kia, Citroen, Fiat etc etc) but if you can get a car from a top make like this at the right price, and you like the car, then that's the one to go for.
Mitsubishi Colt - carl_a
I bought a Colt CZ1 for 6k in May and know why they don't sell many, but I'd buy another tomorrow for several reasons.

The bad points about the colt 3dr:

Poor boot space
Dashboard - why o why didn't they fit the much better asian one.
Rattles, and creaks - I blame the dealer and not Mitsubishi
There are no coat hooks!
There is only a single grab handle on the passenger side, none in the back
The boot/luggage cover does not close when the boot shuts, it has to be done manually (this is a massive pain!)
Visibility is poor (but most cars are getting like this)
Service so far has been dreadful, they didn't even remember I was coming to collect the car on the day of purchase!
Drink holders are of no use, they are not deep enough
I personally see no point in the cubbyholes, they are useless
Glove box is tiny and doesn't lock on mine

And now for the great features:

Brilliant engine, better than most competitors 1.2,1.3's Buzzy if you drive it up the rev range but its a nice sound
Excellent MPG, 55 average so far brim to brim and 63 MPG was the best I've got on a long run
The interior space beats every thing in class, at 6f4 I can sit behind my driving position, the drivers seat goes back a lot further than other cars in class
It has a clutch rest (I wouldn't buy a car without one)
Remote central locking (lots don't have this still)
Trip computer is excellent
Easy access into and out of the car
Speed sensitive variable intermittent wipers
The intercator feature where you just touch it to indicate 4 times
Gear box is nice and so it the clutch
Air circulation system
100% reliable, only the rattles caused me to visit the dealer.
Price

I went to see a lot of cars before buying the Colt, the Picanto for me is really nice as is the Getz and Sirion, the Jazz and Rio were very disappointing.
Mitsubishi Colt - Bill Payer
the Jazz and Rio were very disappointing.

Apart from it being twice the price, what was disappointing about the Jazz?
Mitsubishi Colt - carl_a
>> the Jazz and Rio were very disappointing.
Apart from it being twice the price, what was disappointing about
the Jazz?

The seat doesn't go back very far, for a car that is meant to be "roomy" this isn't good, if the seat went as back as in the Colt there would be no room for a back seat passenger. I also found it very painful to drive, as is mentioned in some owner reviews I've seen. The fit and finish is no better than a getz, the materials might be better but it wasn't that impressive.
Mitsubishi Colt - tintin01
I had an old Mitsubishi Colt (V reg) which I loved. We swapped it for a Carisma because we needed 4 doors. The Carisma has proved dull but reliable. I was pleased to get a new Colt when my car was serviced though because I thought they sounded great value at £6k. I must say I was a bit disappointed by the car - tiny, tiny boot, very plasticy inside, couldn't see out of the back. I found the seats uncomfortable. The old Colt had a small boot, but I preferred the shape and it seemed nicer to drive. Maybe it is just the trend these days in the small hatch sector to have everything look like a mini mpv (the Micra I had on loan was similar), roomy inside but small boot. Having said that, it still seemed a lot of car for £6k. My local dealer was advertising them recently in the paper for £6k, so it's not just internet dealers who are doing them at this price.

By the way, I think we paid £8k for our 'V' reg Colt, new from a dealer. At the time this was a very good price - of course about a year later the prices of all new cars had dropped and it looked expensive. First and last car we ever bought new.