nearly caught - expat
I have been looking for a secondhand car for my youngest son to buy. He has been saving up hard and was very keen to get his first car. I saw a car on the verge just round the corner from where we live and it was being sold by a person my wife knows. The local vet. The price was quite good and we got the car mechanically examined. The report was ok but before we paid over the cheque we did a check if there was anything owed. There was. The lady selling it was quite indignant. How did we expect her to pay off the car if we didn't give her the money first. We had wasted her time. No mention of our time and the cost of the inspection.

The moral is don't be influenced by how respectable or well known the vendor is. Check if there is anything owing before you do anything else. We nearly got taken. I was totally amazed by what I thought was a respectable professional person in our small town trying something like that.
nearly caught - audiaudi
Org poster:

Excellent point.

Look at Dr Shippman!!!

Lord Lucan

G Archer

Gary Glitter

J King

Etc, etc!

Never trust anyone, and always do your home work before parting with cash, or TRUST!
nearly caught - No FM2R
Your warning is a fair point, but perhaps she was genuinely going to pay it off with your money. If you want to get out of one of those deals it is all a little difficult unless you have spare cash around.

If you really wanted the car then perhaps you could have bought it and made sure that the money was paid off ?

Although you are corrrect - ALWAYS check.
nearly caught - expat
"perhaps she was genuinely going to pay it off with your money."

Perhaps she was going to pay it off and perhaps she wasn't. If she had been up front and told us the situation right at the beginning then I might have been persuaded. We only found out when I did a check on the Dept of Consumer Protection website. I think you have a similar site in the UK and I would recommend checking it first thing before you do anything else.
nearly caught - audiaudi
Your warning is a fair point, but perhaps she was genuinely
going to pay it off with your money. If you want
to get out of one of those deals it is all
a little difficult unless you have spare cash around.
If you really wanted the car then perhaps you could have
bought it and made sure that the money was paid off
?
Although you are corrrect - ALWAYS check.

It would have been fairer to the potential buyer that the seller owned up and stated the facts, thus saving the buyer wasted time and money.

One of the questions I use to ask many years ago when I bought used cars, 'is there any outstanding finance on the car'!!! And if the seller stated no and I then found out that there was - I'd take legal action against the seller for trying to defraud me.
nearly caught - mk124
We like to think our prejudices are right all the time. Even if most of our prejudices are right most of the time (or so we want to think) there are always exeptions.
nearly caught - dieselicious
Why not write 2 cheques - one to the finance house to which the money is owed and the balance to the vet?

Then your mind is at rest and she can't get you into trouble by not repaying it.
nearly caught - expat
" Why not write 2 cheques - one to the finance house to which the money is owed and the balance to the vet?"

If she had been frank with us right from the start we might well have done that always assuming that there is not more owing than the car is worth.

As it was I was left with the impression that something was badly wrong and I didn't want to be involved in it. There are thousands of used cars out there but my son has only one lot of money.
nearly caught - Altea Ego
There are thousands of used cars out there but my son has only one lot of money.

Absolutely Repeat this mantra to every used car buyer,

Used cars are not rare or unique,. if there is anything you are not happy with, move on, another will be along in just a moment.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
nearly caught - Stuartli
At least you would have been OK. See:

www.directline.com/motor/buyingprivate.htm
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
nearly caught - Thommo
In UK vets change their Porsches every time the ashtrays fill up with sweetie wrappers.

nearly caught - LeighB
Especially the horse vets, I used to live in Newmarket!!
nearly caught - Bill Payer
At least you would have been OK. See:..

That's how I've lawyas understood the situation with private purchases, unless the finance company can prove that you knew the car had outstanding finance (ie you'd done it to try to defraud the finance company).
nearly caught - David Horn
If I remember correctly, technically, it's not hers to sell.
nearly caught - bell boy
,it really isnt worth the hassle as already said and i usually find the more professional the person the more likely they are to try and screw you
2 cars in the drive and nothing in the fridge is how i see them
nearly caught - storme
why not just make the cheque out to the finance company for the final balance..and the remainder to her???

thats all i did on the wifes car
--
www.storme.co.uk
nearly caught - Stuartli
If I remember correctly, technically, it's not hers to sell.>>

That was my initial thought the other day. Then believed that I might be confusing it with cars bought on hire purchase, which remain the property of the finance company until final payment.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
nearly caught - expat
"another will be along in just a moment."

You were completely right TVM. I went down the city to see my sons yesterday and there was another car parked on the verge with a for sale sign just round the corner from where my boys live. Same type as the first car, same age, lower mileage and a higher spec. We had a test run, it seems ok, the finance check came up clear and we have booked a mechanical check with the local independent. Best of all - not only is the car better but it is the same price as the first one. If the mechanics report is ok my boy will be putting an offer in on it.
nearly caught - Westpig
make sure you check the engine and chassis number from the car...... and that they are the same on the log book (form V5).......

although in theory the engine could have been changed..albeit it should have been updated with DVLA, but often isn't....... but that might be a reason why you wouldn't want it I suppose, depending on it's age.

it would be very easy to have the V5 of a severely damaged car (that will be binned), steal another similar one, then sell you the stolen one using the legitimate V5....... and if you're buying it at the side of the road, you don't know who you're dealing with do you?