Clamping on private land - mare
I got clamped today outside my office, in the space that i pay for. Eventually my office manager negotiated a free release of the clamp.

What intrigued me was that the clamper (scum of the earth, i'm not bitter) removed my wheel trim to put the clamp on. When queried, he got it out of his van.

Can they remove bits of your car to clamp you?
Clamping on private land - Martin Devon
Can they remove bits of your car to clamp you?

Theft or criminal damage....................................PU??

MD
Clamping on private land - Pugugly {P}
Of course being a highly trained and SIA approved Vehicle Immobilising Technician he was keeping ift safely lest the clamp damage the wheel trim - unless he was none of the above and was stealing it.
THUG

MD.
What me ?!
Unlikely Guv!

vbr..........................MD.
If he was keeping it to prevent damage, be hard pushe dto prove theft, if it wasn't damaged no Criminal Damage and if it was damaged he may have a sort of defence in having lawful authority. I.e. if it got damaged in the course of setting the clamp.
Thug thug.

MD
Clamping on private land - yorkiebar
So theoretically only

If you were to clamp your own vehicle with your own clamps (anti theft measure) and they removed these to fit their clamps?
I like it.......yes you have a point. Would it confuse the thicko? Just as I was going to 'ave me 'ot milk you start this stuff. I might have to stay up for a bit!

MD
Clamping on private land - Westpig
can't understand why this is still an issue.......the Jocks won't have it and deal with it as some form of extortion, which mostly it is...why on earth can't the English legislators deal with it properly as well

some of the shenanigans are unreal......

-like clamping the owner of the land when he/she turns up in a courtesy car or similar instead of the normal one, then refusing to back down as they have been 'called out' and there's a 'contract'....

-or deliberately turning up every time in the manky old tow truck, because the tow away charge is considerably more expensive than the simple clamping charge

-sneaking up and clamping people whilst they're in the car reading the paper waiting for the missus

-blocking the exit with the truck, engaging you in conversation, whilst someone else double's back and clamps the car

as i said unbelievable and nothing you can do as it is a 'civil dispute'
Dunno if anyone saw that Whistleblowers programme tonight, they clamped the clamper's van with their own clamp, nicked the keys and then sawed off the clamp off their own van. Dodgy or what. I wouldn't want to be a shareholder in a Baliff's company - I wouldn't sleep at night.
Clamping on private land - drbe
>>
-sneaking up and clamping people whilst they're in the car reading
the paper waiting for the missus

Beat them at their own game. Don't park on private land.

When their source of income dries up , they will have to give up.
Don't reply citing it's illegal, but I can assure you all that I would take out my petrol cutter equipped with diamond blade and I would remove the thing if the clamping situation was ambiguous. Yes really.

MD
Don't reply citing it's illegal, but I can assure you all
that I would take out my petrol cutter equipped with diamond
blade and I would remove the thing if the clamping situation
was ambiguous. Yes really.
MD

That was plan C. Plan B was to block the access with my mate's car, trapping the clamper and his van. Oh look mate, you're on private land and without a permit.......
Clamping on private land - Westpig
Don't reply citing it's illegal, but I can assure you all
that I would take out my petrol cutter equipped with diamond
blade and I would remove the thing if the clamping situation
was ambiguous. Yes really.
MD

chopping bits off it etc would be criminal damage, but the only way they'd know that is if you left it behind... however if you took it with you, it would be theft..........so.......

Theoretically of course..........you'd have to take it with you, dispose of it, then state you'd left it behind in pristine condition and someone else must have stolen it, mustn't they ...?? You'd possibly get yourself nicked for supicion of theft, but there would not be enough evidence to charge you with it......

Clamping on private land - scc
A couple of years ago a local farmer got clamped in a site notorious for clamping after a couple of minutes over time. He went back to his farm and deposited two large bundles of hay across 3 bays with a sign attached saying "now clamp this". Left them over a busy summer weekend and was persuaded by local plod to recover them the following week. It made the front page of the local rag and gave us all a good chuckle.
Thanks PU

As a follow up, spoke to Landlord's agent yesterday afternoon and was assured that the clamping company were getting sacked.

I still don't quite know how my office manager negotiated a free de-clamp, but i owe her a bunch of flowers at the very least.
Clamping on private land - Hamsafar
I took one off 15 years ago as a 17 year old. I worked at a house on a privaye estate in Nottingham (The Park) and we weren't allowed to park there, we had our own carpark but it was full on this day, and the private school over the road was on holiday, so I popped it outside the school thinking it would be alright, but no.
It was a proper top quality clamp not a Halfords-DIY type, I jacked the car up, with the freeplay this allowed, I could get my fingertips behind the plate and undo the valve cap and deflate tyre, I was able to remove the washer fluid reservoir from the engine compartment, and pour the fluid over the wheel/tyre,as the tyre was deflated and wet, the clamp managed to come off with a lot of tyre squashing and brute force. I then fitted the spare and drove home with the clamp (not theft as it was not my intention to permanently deprive the owner).
The next day the clamper man came to work, I kept him waiting in reception and then went down and he asked for his clamp, and I said OK, follow me, and walked 2 miles to where I had had to park with him in toe, opened the boot, but the 15KG clamp on the floor and walked off.
He had a very red puffy face. OK poor man was only doing his job, but we all have bad days at work.