VW Coolant Problems - Tmack
Hi guys

Just wander if anyone can help. My golf seems to be losing coolant water ? and it cant be traced to were it is leaking

Can be driving along and suddenly onboard computer warning light comes up as Stop check coolant - garage have done pressure test on the car and no leaks are showing.

Strong smell of coolant coming through the air system on both low and high temperatures

Any ideas ?

VW Coolant Problems - Peter D
What engine model and year of Golf do you have. Regards Peter
VW Coolant Problems - Aprilia
Sounds a bit like heater matrix, possibly only leaking when its hot. Hunt around front floor area for any traces of coolant.
Its a 2000 GT TDI (115 BHP)
VW Coolant Problems - misterbarbel
Had the same issue on my MkIV golf. If only showed up when the engine (and water) was warmed up. My garage pressure tested the system when cold so nothing showed up. I eventually found the problem myself, a stone had flicked off the road and embedded itself in the radiator, the damage couldn't be seen until the front bumper was removed. Might be worth checking your garage did the pressue test correctly.
VW Coolant Problems - nick62
My 2000 Passat TDI PD115 had a similair problem.

Turned out to be the bottom of the radiator rotted away . The pressure test really showed up the probelm (hot engine) and after that the water poured out.
Should have mentioned it has recently had a new Radiator put in also... any other thoughts?
VW Coolant Problems - Martin1981
You say the system has been pressure tested- that would indicate a leaking radiator, heater matrix or hose/joint. How much coolant is it losing? Does there seem to be a lot of pressure in the system when you take the expansion tank cap off? If so, this could indicate a failing head gasket. Also check the operation of the thermostat to see if it's opening and closing as it should.

Martin