oil coolers? waste of money? - steveo3002
alot of people in my car club fit additional oil coolers, which i can see makes sense on a track only car

i see them complain/mention that their oil takes forever to warm up, or never goes over xxx degrees

surley driving for say 20mins until the oil passes 80 degrees is daft, and wastes fuel and increases engine wear?

i know having oil running at crazy high temps is bad, but isnt it almost as bad having cool oil all the time

any ideas what the safe /best temps for oil is.....my manual states not to drive hard until 80deg buts doesnt say alot about how hot is too hot
oil coolers? waste of money? - jc2
It is possible to get oil coolers with thermostatic by-pass;also "Modine" coolers(oil/water)will transfer heat to the oil till the oil temp. exceeds that of the water.
oil coolers? waste of money? - tr7v8
Some cars are worse than others for needing an Oil cooler. Some of the Triumphs, BMC A & B series & most kit cars running older engines suffer because the engine is deeper into the engine bay. I've had problems with thermostats packing up so won't recommend them, better to tape up the oil cooler for road use & then untape it when needed, track day etc. The inline ones are excellent but are A. expensive & B. take up a lot of space which can be a problem.
Another lesser known problem is that if you get an engine blowup with an oil cooler you have a massive cleanup job because their is normally debris in the cooler & pipes, even you don't get it all out then the next engine rebuild is closer than you think!
oil coolers? waste of money? - autumnboy
alot of people in my car club fit additional oil coolers,
which i can see makes sense on a track only car
surley driving for say 20mins until the oil passes 80 degrees
is daft, and wastes fuel and increases engine wear?

Try saying that to any fully pledged Scoobie driver and see what they say.???