Bad driving LGV, report?? - Wales Forester
Whilst travelling back home along the M56 earlier this evening I had 'a bit of an altercation' with a lorry driver.

Approaching J12 westbound I slowed to 40mph and set the cruise control for the duration of the SPECS policed roadworks, I'm in lane 1.
I slowly caught up a horsebox, so moved to lane 2, (on checking my mirrors I could see a lorry in lane 1 some way back which I'd passed before entering the 40mph area, plus another car in lane 3)
Once past the horsebox I could have moved back into lane 1 but decided that I was gaining on a car ahead in lane 2 (I'm still at 40mph on cruise), plus I was about to start passing the on slip so there was the possibility of traffic wishing to join. With me so far?

Again I checked my mirrors and saw that the lorry behind me was gaining on me quite rapidly, plus the car in lane 3 was about to pass me. I've now passed the end of the on slip, so give the chap in front of me in lane 2 a quick flash of the lights (nothing ahead of him in lane 1), he doesn't respond. Almost instantaneously I am aware of the lorry now directly behind me, I would estimate maybe a car's length from my bootlid, flashing his headlights. I'm talking a full size artic here.
I am a tad snookered now, as the guy in lane 3 has begun braking falongside the car in lane 2 in readiness for the last SPECS cameras as we reach the end of the restriction. (some folk just don't understand SPECS)
The lorry driver then throws his wagon across into lane 1 and passes me whilst gesticulating to my partner in the passenger seat as if he has some coffee beans in his hand.
He then tears past the last camera probably on his 56mph limiter.

My partner wished to return to compliment so once out of the restriction I drew alongside in lane 2 to allow her to do this. (yes we know two wrongs don't make a right and all that!).
I was quite annoyed to say the least, here we were observing the temporary speed limit, only for this professional driver to behave like a complete norbert.
On noticing the company name splashed down the side of the cab I could not resist suggesting that we make a record of the telephone number, but my partner went one better and got her phone camera out, then took a nice flash photo which has come out rather well. (Taken from the side with an LED flash whilst driver was choosing to ignore us by looking straight on so no risk of blinding him)
Apart from showing the company name, telephone number and website address, the picture shows the side of the driver's face in reasonable detail, with a fag hanging from his mouth, along with a 'No Smoking' sticker on the cab window.
Do you think the driver will have been suitably shocked when he realised a photo had been taken?

So, if you're still with me, what would you do? Anything? Nothing?
I'd be very surprised if an NIP for speeding isn't winging his way anyway, is that enough justice for this type of driving??
Bad driving LGV, report?? - rtj70
I'd phone the company... been tailgated like this too many times. And have first hand experience of an HGV crashing into a car whilst I was driving it. Have the scar to prove it.
Bad driving LGV, report?? - Westpig
send a letter which suggests you're expecting a reply and a proper result.........a phone call at a busy time could end up with a load of platitudes on the phone and that's it.

write on the top of it 'formal complaint' and ask them to deal with it under their complaints system (even if they don't have one they'll take it more seriously).

do a google search for the industry complaints system (or similar) and politely mention this in the letter i.e not as a threat, but that you know what you're talking about

finally your having to persuade your wife not to send her extensive photos to a national newspaper,....aren't you.... you would prefer that the lorry company deal with it and as long as it is dealt with properly you will ensure the photos do not go elsewhere.

keep us posted won't you
Bad driving LGV, report?? - Martin Devon
A large proportion of commercial drivers seem utterly ignorant to me. I am fully aware that their employers demand too much from them for them to be able to stay inside the law, but that is not my prob'. I have reported numerous artics etc. for speeding here locally and receive no feedback. Do tacho recordes EVER get studied? Bulk milk tanker drivers are by far the worst, this is a fact admitted by plod and for some strange reason it is more likely to be those with a draw bar rig. Two years ago one almost took me off of the road, but fortunately I can look at a reg' number for a split second and record it. I duly repoted same but plod refused to tell me who the employer was due to the confidentiality thing. Cobblers cobblers and more cobblers. My England has gone and to be honest I don't feel safe anymore and I ain't a timid one.

Best to all............................MD.
Bad driving LGV, report?? - R75
Just give the Transport manager a call, if he is any good he will investigate and give you a call back (thats what I always used to do if I received a complaint), if not then you know this type of thing comes from the top!!!!!!

In reply to Martin Devon:
"Do tacho recordes EVER get studied?"

Yep, I have a pile on my desk here at the moment waiting for me to go through them, but although they show a speed trace there is no way for me to know if they were speeding as I can not tell what road they were on at any one time!!! Checking tachos is really only done to ensure that driving time, rest periods and work periods have not been exceeded.
Bad driving LGV, report?? - Dynamic Dave
Just give the Transport manager a call, if he is any good he will investigate and give you a call back

That's exactly what happened when I reported the HGV driver I saw with a map laid out over his steering wheel and a mobile phone to his ear. Got a courtesy call back saying that the driver had admitted it and he had been severly repremanded.

If you're going to do stupid things on the road, then at least make sure you don't have your company name / phone number emblazoned all over the vehicle.
Thanks for the replies so far.

After a Google of the company name I have found that they are a multi national paper company with headquarters in Sweden.
I have emailed their UK transport department with details and the photograph, and I've copied this to their Swedish CEO so we'll see what kind of response I get.

I've gone for the 'I would like to make you aware of the manner in which one of your company vehicles was being driven.......' approach.

Bad driving LGV, report?? - L'escargot
Since there was no accident I would have just smiled and then forgot all about it. I have more important things with which to occupy my time. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.
--
L\'escargot.
Bad driving LGV, report?? - Happy Blue!
Whilst I have every sympathy for the OP, I am very careful about using cruise in a SPECS or other roadwork area. It can have the effect of causing exactly what happened to you. Sometimes it is easier to slow down and get behind a slower moving vehicle, if you think you might, even only slightly, get trapped with a middle-lane hogger in front and an irate HGV driver behind.

However, that is no excuse for the actions of the HGV driver.
Bad driving LGV, report?? - stevied
Report him, and hope he gets fired.

If you can't do your job with the tools you're given, or without being professional, then you don't deserve the job.
Bad driving LGV, report?? - Roger Jones
Apart from any other considerations, owners of company vehicles have good reason to be interested in bad driving by their employees because it puts the company's assets at risk and also widens the possibilities of being on the wrong end of legal action. And what about the bad PR?

Then there is the safety of other road users -- not exactly unimportant.

Report such incidents every time. But also report exceptionally good driving.

Sadly, the idiot reading a map while driving at 80 mph in the centre lane of the eastbound M4 at about 4.00 p.m. on Saturday between Swindon and Reading wasn't driving a car with a name and telephone number on it. It was a silver Golf TDi and the driver was female (although it wouldn't have surprised me if it had been male).
Bad driving LGV, report?? - rover 75
Forgive me, but if I reported every bad / dangerous incident witnessed whilst driving I would have a full time job handling the correspondence etc. and probably need a P.A..This no way reduces the problems we all face on the roads , I just try to keep out of the way.
Just to clarify, my use of cruise control was initially OK due to the fact that the traffic was reasonably light, it was around 2230. Plus, it is easier to sit on cruise when there is a temporary speed restriction.
I did actually have to come off the cruise control as I caught up the guy in lane 2.
If i'd not been on cruise I'd have still been doing the same speed so it wasn't a contributing factor.
If the on slip wasn't coming up I would have probably past the middle lane hogger in lane 1, or obviously lane 3 if it had been free.
I'm not one for reporting people on a regular basis, but the sheer stupidity and dangerousness coupled with his hand gestures deserves some kind of response.
The way I think of it is this guy probably drives around like this all the time and gets away with it because people can't be bothered to report it, and sooner or later someone like him will end up causing an accident and god forbid even killing someone.
no one's mentioned that sat nav's show a truer speed reading than your car speedo and that most speedos read higher........ so the people with satnav are often doing 2,3,or 4 mph faster because they know their true speed....... doesn't sound a lot, but is enough for you to catch someone up in the specs sections

doesn't excuse the lorry driver though
Bad driving LGV, report?? - BobbyG
PP, when you say you came off the cruise control when you caught up with the car in front, how did you do it? I am asking cos anytime I drive my dad's on cruise control, I always instinctively take it off by touching the brake.

If you did this then the lorry driver may have taken it as a sign from you to back off and get him annoyed? Although I would stress that doesn't give any excuse for any of his subsequent behaviour.
Bad driving LGV, report?? - Pugugly {P}
Bobby,

You're dead right, especially on Motorways it's difficult to get oout of that habit of touching the brakes to cancel and annoying someone behind you...
To answer Bobby's question I pressed the steering wheel button to knock cruise off. It's all too easy to touch the brake pedal as suggested, but I am always wary of doing this, especially on the motorway.
I must admit, after going from an S60 which had lit steering wheel buttons to the Mondeo which doesn't, it's a pain in the backside trying to find the right button, especially as I rarely drive the car these days.
Bad driving LGV, report?? - rtj70
I still miss the cruise control on the left stalk of my previous Golf/Passat. If you'd used it no need to look. It was so intuitive and I used it a lot. I even changed cruise speed when relatively busy traffic to maintain distance. Hardly use the Mondeo because you have to look at the steering wheel buttons which you should not have to do.
Bad driving LGV, report?? - Bromptonaut
Report him. An HGV driver who ran over a car while using his truck to intimidate should face a murder charge.
Bad driving LGV, report?? - henry k
Hardly use the Mondeo because you have to look at the steering wheel buttons which you should not have to do.

???
I do not have to look at the buttons on my 98 Mondeo. I can easily feel which button is which.
The 99 Focus in the family has the same controls without the tactile features but again no problems.
Bad driving LGV, report?? - cheddar
Hardly use the Mondeo because you have to look at the
steering wheel buttons which you should not have to do.

You dont, they are easy to feel which is which!
Bad driving LGV, report?? - Group B
I am asking cos anytime I drive my dad's
on cruise control, I always instinctively take it off by touching
the brake.

If its a manual car can't you dab the clutch instead of the brake to cancel cruise control? On my car it only needs the lightest contact on the clutch to do this, you don't have to properly press the pedal. But even so I normally cancel cruise by either using cancel or off on the indicator stalk. Best not to brake unnecessarily on motorways IMO..

;o)
Bad driving LGV, report?? - f2
Read thread with interest, have we missed a trick here I wonder?

There are lots of LGV/HGV driving chaps where I work and more than a few admit to tailgaiting in areas controlled by SPECS cameras in order to intimidate the vehicle ahead into going faster than the posted limit. Their theory is that, as the SPECS read the front number plate, any NIP generated by the SPECS will be ploppling onto the doormat of their "victim" because the rig is too close to the vehicle in front for the cameras to get a proper fix on the lorry plate.

The upshot for lorry drivers is that they spend less time at a lower speed and can complete more of the journey before the statutory rest break, etc. Perhaps this is a problem that will increase when the limiters are applied to 3.5 tonners too?

Keep it shiny side up...
f2

Bad driving LGV, report?? - Statistical outlier
"Their theory is that, as the SPECS read the front number plate, any NIP generated by the SPECS will be ploppling onto the doormat of their "victim" because the rig is too close to the vehicle in front for the cameras to get a proper fix on the lorry plate. "

Perhaps that would suggest that the correct course of action is not to phone the company later, but to dial 999 at that point. Evenif they can't do anything then, would help enormously in defending any ticket you get I would think...
Bad driving LGV, report?? - GetRidOfBrussels

Further to your conversation of specs and speed limits through road works, was travelling in my vehicle (artic) today on M25 car park, I was passing a lorry and a coach so travelling in centre lane, bearing in mind we are banned from using outside lane in a truck normally and definately in road works as a 6'6" width limit. I had my speed limiter set to 50MPH so still have to use throttle to speed up, got caught behind a driver in a black peugeot who was driving up and down between 45MPH and 48MPH, so as I was traveling behind him I was also altering my driving speed. Obviously the guy behind me in the articulated truck was getting pretty pee'd off at this, so after approx 2 miles of this (peugeot would not move left even when he had the room to do so) the driver of not just any truck, this was an M&S truck (although still 8'4" wide) went around the outside of my vehicle (I was back beside the coach by now) and when he got past me found he didn't have room to pull in front of me safely and also found the reason my speed was fluctuating so badly. so to combat this he sped past the first car (which had sensed what was going on and actually sped up!!) and indicated left to pull back to the middle lane. The peugeot however wasn't going to let him in, by which time I had pulled back quite a way. Anyhow just along this stretch the carriageway splits, two lanes on our side for any vehicle and a contraflow lane for vehicles under 6'6".

Just at the moment the truck was going to be forced into the contraflow lane he wildly moved left into the middle lane, the peugeot at this time had nowhere to go as a truck inside him, so did the next best thing and slowed drastically. the truck pulled in just missing the cones as he did so.

Two things, the peugeot driver could have moved out of my way allowing me to pass safely at 50MPH and totally averting the whole episode, alternatively having caused this drivers unreasonable and extremely dangerous actions in the first place he could have just pulled back and avoided narrowly dicing with death.

I also noted the trucks number plate on the rear of the trailer, wrote it down when safe to do so at next stop. As I overtook him later on though (his 56 MPH obviously slower than mine, probably due to tyre wear) also took a not of the different number plate on the rear of his tractor unit!! He was driving a mercedes Axor, which on the front have a tow hook hidden by a folding panel which holds the number plate. Now I didn't actually notice if it was up or had 'fallen down' due to weak hinge (common fault on these), but would guess the latter, which is why he was blatantly driving so dangerously, even if someone reported the number on the trailer it wouldn't matter as wasn't his truck!! they would also clear the driver of the correct vehicle as he would probably be able to prove he was going another route, ie a different store. speeding tickets non applicable as no number plate visible as it had' fallen down over rough ground'

If I find where to send the email his boss will be receiving the message along with both registrations. Drivers like that give the rest of us a bad name.

Edited by GetRidOfBrussels on 08/05/2010 at 23:41

Bad driving LGV, report?? - stevied
Well, as long as they're being productive, then that's OK! Heaven forbid that capitalism should be in any way impeded.

Do these morons think how they would feel if someone did it to them, or are they just the vacuous tattooed hardmen types that litter our town centres on their nights off, dripping their excess testosterone all over soulless theme pubs?
To update the thread, I received a reply to my email from the company's 'National Operations Manager' a couple of days ago.

He stated that they had been able to identify the vehicle and driver concerned from the details I gave, and that the driver is to be interviewed regarding the matter.
However, he also says that as there are no independent witnesses, any action taken will depend on what the driver's response is, which I suppose is to be expected, after all it's my word against his.

I am assured that they do take this type of "rare'"complaint very seriously and that such complaints are always dealt with in the appropriate manner.

I can't really expect much more, I have had an apology for the "discomfort and distress caused" and hopefully the driver will at the least have to suffer the inconvenience of being hauled into the office for his trouble.
Some people/companies take it seriously, I always used to. One complaint I received from a motorist was about one of my drivers tailgating them, I interviewed the driver he admitted it and said "she should have gone faster" and took it as a bit of a joke, he soon sobered up when I informed him that he obviously needed further training and as a result I would be going out with him on his runs for next 2 days. Now for a driver who does 90 drops a day this was seriously going to mess up his routine and all the little "perks" of the job that they enjoy by being out on their own all day. Needless to say I never got another complaint about his driving ;o)
Bad driving LGV, report?? - glowplug
I think I'd be tempted to reply to the transport manager stating that in future I wouldn't waste his time but would instead report it to the police. I doubt they'd be able to take any real action but at least the transport manager may take more interest in what his drivers are doing.

---
Xantia HDi.

Buy a Citroen and get to know the local GSF staff better...
but would
instead report it to the police.

Why bother? the Police will do very little - far better to report it to the Area Traffic Commisioner, They have much better powers then the Police.
I did consider reporting it to VOSA as you suggest TU, but I have previous experience of them doing nothing about a dangerous defect on a bus, which I know is a different type of matter, but nevertheless still makes me feel like I'd be wasting my time.
VOSA and the TC's are two very different depts, although they are linked - VOSA carry out the inspection work etc but the Traffic Commissioners do the public inquiry's, they are the ones worth reporting bus/truck rogue operators to as they have powers that VOSA do not. Thier addresses are on the VOSA site - although in the new year all admin is supposed to be centralised at Leeds (Joy oh Joy!!!!)
Bad driving LGV, report?? - Quinny
As an artic driver,if I had to report every misdemeanour by a car driver,I would have a full time job.

Here's a true story......

Yesterday,whilst travelling eastbound,along the M62,a friend of mine was following a car,at a safe distance,and when passing a junction,the car promptly stopped,and proceeded to REVERSE BACK ALONG THE CARRIAGEWAY.

The idiot had missed his junction,and decided he wasn't going to go to the next one and turn round to come back,oh no,he was going to cause as much mayhem as possible.If it wasn't for the fact that my mate was able to stop safely,then it could have been VERY nasty,and you could have been reading about it in todays papers.

The only reason incidents and drivers like this never get reported,is because there is no name and phone number on the side of the car,unlike trucks,for people to compalin to,and the police usually can't be bothered to do anything.(See 2nd story below.)

Whilst I can't condone the actions of the truck driver in the original opener,as has been said,Let he without sin.........

2nd story.

Friday 22nd September,at about 12.30pm,I exited the M1 at J42,and was going around the top of the intersection,indicating to go towards the M62 eastbound,towards my final destination.I was towing a friends caravan,and as we passed the entry slip for the M1 northbound,a car clipped the back of the caravan,in his haste to go down the entry slip,and drove off? I pulled over on the top of the intersection,and had a look at the damage.Fortunately,he had only moved one of the rubber strips,but a witness had seen what he had done,and promptly supplied me with his details,and the offenders details as well.

I then rung the police,and all I got was a crime report number,as they were very busy!!!!!

Now correct me if I'm wrong,but does this not constitute a hit and run?

Now my point is,if this was one of the thousands of HGV drivers this country has,people would be quick to castigate him,and the police would be on the case straight away,but becasue it was car,then it nothing was done.
Bad driving LGV, report?? - cheddar
I would phone the transport manager or e-mail, not write, you dont want an oik (not a comment on the majority of HGV drivers who are pros) loosing his job and seeking retribution.

I have done this once before in similar circimstances, never heard the outcome though felt better getting it off my chest. I have also indicated to (IMO) errant truck drivers with the thumb in ear - little finger by mouth phone symbol, perhaps more constructive than shaking coffee beans or showing them that I can count to one or two, whether they got the message though I dont know.
Bad driving LGV, report?? - Dave E
As an artic driver,if I had to report every misdemeanour by
a car driver,I would have a full time job.

Well put, Quinny,

I only recently obtained my LGV licence and as such have limited road experience of driving the big stuff. But one thing has struck me is, that as you are driving at a restricted motorway speed of (55-60mph) you are left with ample time to observe the cretinous behaviour of the average motorist. Unfortunately the average and I do mean "average" motorist, seems to treat the LGV with the same disdain afforded to learners, thus making the roads an unsafe place. But then sees fit to blame the LGV and then get all sanctimonious about it.

Being new to driving LGV's the one thing that strikes you, having spent an age driving cars, is the much slower pace and that is what the aforementioned average motorist fails to comprehend. That and the space you actually need to manouvre. I am already sick of idiots who think it is acceptable to undercut me on the left as I move out to the right to give myself enough room to complete a left turn. Now who exactly do I report those people to?

Whilst I agree with the main contents of your post Dave E, you appear to be giving the impression that all LGV drivers are consummate professionals who permanently suffer at the hands of ignorant motorists. A bit one sided that.

As a vocational licence holder myself (PCV 14 years) I think I'm reasonably experienced enough to know the difference between good and bad driving.

As I say, I agree that many car drivers do not appreciate the room an LGV needs on the road, but what you need to take into account is that most of these drivers have never driven anything bigger than a car and cannot comprehend the logistics of driving an LGV.
I used to suffer similar problems driving buses and coaches, it's no good saying who do I report them to though.

A lot of LGV drivers (and PCV drivers for that matter) behave as cretinously as the car drivers, changing lanes without warning or indication etc, there is no excuse for it and as vocational licence holders, in my opinion, they should take more time and effort to try and drive correctly.
very well said.......... in other words those that know better should compensate for those that don't
further to the last.......... a bit like motorcyclists if you've got any sense
Bad driving LGV, report?? - Pugugly {P}
Motorcyclists aren't without their horredousley bad eggs as well - seems worse now that it did in the old days....:-(
of course, no one set of drivers can claim the moral high ground........

and as for the getting worse, you're right...but sadly no light at the end of the tunnel........ prisons full again, no more being built, less and less traffic cops..

... all been said before of course

as a slight aside, i actually met someone the other day who says he'd seen the light at the end of the tunnel, but sadly he claims it was someone else turning up with a torch to give him more work