Computer Related Questions - Volume 103 - Dynamic Dave
***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 104 *****

In this thread you may ask any computer related question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

Usual rules apply,

No motoring related discussion,
No politics,
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

There is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 103. Previous Volumes will not be deleted.

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=20892

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

iPod sound dock suggestions - Citroënian {P}
Hi all,

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what would be the best way to listen to my iPod (Video) in our front room? For the past couple of years I've just connected the 3.5mm jack to the Hi-fi, but it's getting old and could do with replacing.

Very tempted by the Bose sound dock, the sound is excellent from it; less keen on Apple's Hi-fi, seems very big and ungainly and the sound doesn't improve on the Bose.

Given that most of my music is now MP3 (ripped on the computer), I don't really need a CD player, tape player or vinyl deck - but would if I'm greedy, LW for TMS.

There's little out there (that I can see anyway) that charges the iPod while playing it in good quality and includes a radio. Had a look at the Apple iPod radio, but that uses the connector that is also used for charging so that doesn't work with the dock/hi-fi.

So would I just be better off getting a decent pair of speakers, good amp and tuner (and if so, which ones) and a docking station connected to it that also charges.

Any suggestions, as ever, much appreciated.

Lee

Thought about posting this in IHAQ, but seemed more appropriate here what with the wires and electrickery involved...
-- You know, it\'s not like changing toothpaste
iPod sound dock suggestions - psi
get the genuine apple video dock, and use the line out from that to connect it to a proper component (full size) amp. you can also leave the charger plugged in all the time and you can get a remote control for it, don't bother with the small all-in-one jobbies for living room filling sound

they do it as an all-in-one now, www.apple.com/uk/ipod/accessories.html --> AV Connection Kit right at the bottom
iPod sound dock suggestions - Citroënian {P}
psi,

Thanks for that, have duly been to the Apple store and have got the dock - didn't bother with the cables, already have enough to connect with.

Now could do with some suggestions for replacing the current HiFi with something more modern; popped into Richersounds a simple amp and tuner separates and some decent speakers. I think I can do this for less than the cost of a Bose sounddock or Apple HiFi, but am a little out of my area in terms of who is good/bad in Hi-Fi. A Cambrige audio amplifier looked good, is it?! And what about speakers? Are there any good brands or models (<~£150) - and what are the benefits of floor standing over small, size apart(!)

Thanks
Lee

PS - The people in the Apple store are very nice indeed, not only is the Apple kit lovely, the buying experience is too!
iPod sound dock suggestions - daveyjp
Due to space constraints I've replaced my separates with a Bose Wave system - it sits on top of the TV and looks very discrete.

Switch it on, crank up the volume and it belts out as much sound as my venerable Sherwood Amp with Wharfedale 100 watt speakers (recommended and within your budget) ever did.
iPod sound dock suggestions - Stuartli
>>a Bose Wave system>>

Remarkable piece of equipment.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
iPod sound dock suggestions - Altea Ego
At £449 RRP it needs to be,
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
iPod sound dock suggestions - daveyjp
At £449 it was less than I paid for my seperates system 15 years ago.
Alliance & Leicester popup ad - Mapmaker
It pops up to full screen - so there is no close window button. How do I close it down, please, without rebooting?
Alliance & Leicester popup ad - RichardW
CTRL-W

:-))
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Alliance & Leicester popup ad - Mapmaker
Thanks.
Correcting 6,000 modification dates? - Zebra
I have about 27,000 files, mainly but not exclusively from the Office family, in many nested folders in My Documents on an XP Pro PC. Scattered among them are about 6,000 files with modification dates set to some time in 2040 thanks to a glitch in the past. I would like to be able to set the modification dates to some arbitrary time (e.g. today). But by the time I get round to correcting them all manually it will be 2040 anyway, so I am looking for way to solve my problem in bulk.

Is this the sort of thing that can be done with a DOS batch file? If so, I understand the concept of examining folders and their contents via loop structures, but I know nothing about DOS commands.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Zebra
Correcting 6,000 modification dates? - Altea Ego
Get a windows programe like "file tweak" that changes file properties. Search on files with modify dates from some time in future to 2040. Select all, properties, invoke filetweak and bingo.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Correcting 6,000 modification dates? - Zebra
6,000 thanks, TVM.

Zebra
Uninstalling Nokia software. - Adam {P}
Morning Gents - quick one today.

A friend asked me to try uninstalling some Nokia software on their laptop yesterday as they were having trouble. Sure enough, when you go to uninstall it, the Windows Installer crashes. So I tried to delete the folder thinking that I can go into the registry later and edit out the details but guess what? Yep - won't let me delete it. It comes up that access is denied to some .dll which is in the Nokia folder. I had a quick scout around in the processes (I was in a rush) and tried to close the relevant ones but it found a problem with the next one.

So I started it up in Safe Mode and it won't let me delete the folder still citing another .dll which is in use or write protected or something.

Help.
Uninstalling Nokia software. - No FM2R
1) use spybot "delete on startup"
2) install the software again and then uninstall again

When you say the installer crashes, what actually happens ?
You go to uninstall it from the Add/Remove programs and it says something along the lines of "Windows installer encountered an error and must close".

I uninstalled something else to make sure there wasn't a problem and it worked fine.
Try installing it again. What is it, PC Suite ?
Yeah it's PC Suite and a separate entry in the list under Nokia 6600. That's what the folder is called too.

Hopefully they still have the disc to install it.

Thanks for your help - I'll let you know how I get on.
Uninstalling Nokia software. - Dynamic Dave
Hopefully they still have the disc to install it.

If not, just goto the Nokia website and download it from there.
IIRC its a pretty big download.
They've only just moved in and have no internet so I hope they have the disc!
Actually if I remember correctly its actually two or three installs. Did you attempt to uninstall them in the order they were installed ? I vaguely remember something about difficulties if you don't.

I think the weird one was also called Nokia...something. Did you separelty uninstall those ? That might be what is locking your directory.
At the minute, nothing is uninstalled. I just went in for the kill on the biggest one there which was PC Suite which caused the errors.

Lee can't reply on here for some reason but he's just sent me a link to tinyurl.com/ftdyl

which looks promising.

I'm much better armed than I was yesterday so hopefully this will sort it.

I'll let you know how I get on - I'll undoubtedly delete something of vital importance in a fit of rage and will need help sorting that.

Thanks,

Adam
Uninstalling Nokia software. - cheddar
See if there is a later version of the s/w for download, if they have no internet download it for them, save to desktop and burn to CD/DVD, they can then either use or uninstall the later version.
That's what I'm doing as we speak C!
Great minds ................
The key thing is a newer version so it installs over and effects a repair.
Uninstalling Nokia software. - Dalglish
Uninstalling Nokia software.

adam: while/as you are already on the nokia site, have a look at this:

europe.nokia.com/A4144912

among other things it will do, it includes these optiions:
"The application is designed to delete both files and registry information
"Problem during uninstallation": Select this option if you can't uninstall PC Suite using the Windows Add/Remove feature or the uninstallation process freezes before it is completed. "
"

Uninstalling Nokia software. - Dalglish
adam - i have just realised that your friend lee's link [ re - "Lee can't reply on here for some reason but he's just sent me a link to tinyurl.com/ftdyl which looks promising."] leads to the same solution.

Uninstalling Nokia software. - eProf
I've used Nokia PC Suite Cleaner 3.4 and it works a treat! It dumps all the files into a backup folder which can then be deleted at leisure.
Talking of Nokia software, check out global.mobileaction.com . Their Handset Manager software is ideal for archiving both the phone book and the message base.
--
e Prof
Uninstalling Nokia software. - Citroënian {P}
Ha! back again. Not sure what was happening earlier but either the PC I was using, the site or the wonderful world of the t'interweb was against me.

Good luck with the fix Adam!

Lee

Uninstalling Nokia software. - Dynamic Dave
IIRC its a pretty big download.

25MB according to the Nokia website.
Done!!!

That piece of software Lee recommended was great - it removed one entry but left the other half of it so I went into msconfig and stopped those DLLs starting up and then into Reg Edit and deleted everything with the word Nokia or Suite in it and then deleted the folder.

Job's a goodun'!

Thanks for all the advice chaps - as always, much appreciated.
PHAxxxRMACY spam - SjB {P}
Idle curiosity; anyone else being hammered by spam that only ever comes once per sender address and which always has a title based on a variant of PHAxxxRMACY?

xxx is three, apparently random, lower case letters.

Thankfully they all end up in my junk folder anyway, from where they are automatically deleted after a period of time if I don't get there first, but at the rate I receive them I shudder to think how many others are winging around cluttering up the web. I can certainly believe statements along the lines of 80% of web traffic being spam or other unwanted mail.
PHAxxxRMACY spam - Stuartli
There are many variations on the theme - you clearly have taken the best route for them in diverting such messages into a Junk folder.
PHAxxxRMACY spam - Dalglish
Idle curiosity; anyone else being hammered by spam ..

>>

one of my email accounts, known only to a dozen friends in a club i belong to, is the only account getting that spam, at a rate of roughly 3 or 4 emails a day. the senders names and addresses are all spoofed, and the subject line spelling of pharmacy is constantly changed.

as far as i can figure it out, it is an infected computer of someone in the club. the botnet source is likely to be same one as explained here:

www.theregister.co.uk/2006/06/01/may_malware_repor.../

.... The surge of spam were sent from a botnet of more than 150,000 compromised PCs, or 'spambots'. The content of the emails varied throughout the deluge. Each one, however, links to websites selling ......

i am not sure if the anti-virus/spambot vendors have yet devised a signature for the infection, but the best you can hope for is that one or more of your contacts whose computer is infected will at some point be able to clean their pc if they are diligent about it. i have asked all my friends to check their computers for infection, but so far only 3 or 4 have bothered.

PHAxxxRMACY spam - adverse camber
look at the mail headers and you can identify the culprit. trace throgh the 'received from:' bits.

the ip address at the end of the chain is the culprit. look that up to identify the isp and then forward the mail to them for action. they need the timestamps as well as the ip if they use dynamic addressing.

the ip address at the end of the chain is the culprit

>>

mark99 - it is not as easy as that. this spam is a from sophisticated botnet operator.
spam sent from botnets is done via spoofed senders ip addresses. the "pharmacy" spam in question here points to one destination ip address, althought the web site name is spoofed, the destination is always "pharmacy express".
spamhaus and spamcops are very much aware of this spammer, and they have proved impossible to eradicate. see
forum.spamcop.net/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t62...l

PHAxxxRMACY spam - cheddar
Idle curiosity; anyone else being hammered by spam that only ever
comes once per sender address and which always has a title
based on a variant of PHAxxxRMACY?

Used to get something similar on a now obsolete business address, trying to sell various "drvgs" like "v1agra" etc.
PHAxxxRMACY spam - Pugugly {P}
I get it from in my e-mail account dedicated to this site........
I get it from in my e-mail account dedicated to this
site........

What, v1agra ? ;-)
>> ... from in my e-mail account dedicated to this site........
>>

pugugly : has that email been used to communicate with other members of this forum? in which case, one or more of them is likely to be infected with the botnet.

Not a Tiscali e-mail account by any chance...:-)
PHAxxxRMACY spam - Pugugly {P}
Nah - BTinternet. Have I caused a problem ?
No, just that Tiscali is notorious for delivering such rubbish to its subscribers.

I have a TalkTalk BB account and my former Tiscali service was dropped to PAYG dialup to retain a long standing WorldOnline e-mail address; I've also had a Pipex PAYG dialup service for the past 10 years.

It's still only Tiscali that provides the source of such e-mails. Only had one in 10 years from Pipex and a quick complaint to its support department soon brought an apology and a stop to such unwanted rubbish.
PS

Tiscali once had the cheek to demand a yearly payment to stop delivery of such e-mails; now it does anti-spam and anti-virus FOC although I've personally relied on Thunderbird to weed them out.
I have a TalkTalk BB account and my former Tiscali service
was dropped to PAYG dialup to retain a long standing WorldOnline
e-mail address; I've also had a Pipex PAYG dialup service for
the past 10 years.

You can probably access both via Talk Talk BB by setting new Outlook accounts with the outgoing server configured as the Talk Talk SMTP server and the incoming server set to be the Tiscali or Pipex POP server. You would then only have to dial up perhaps once a month to keep the accounts active.
>>You can probably access both via Talk Talk BB >>

Thanks cheddar; that's precisely what I do and also did with Tiscali. Each account has the normal POP3 and SMTP configuration but is Enabled to collect via TalkTalk from the Connection tab in each account's Properties.

If you are Replying to an e-mail other than TT you have to remember to use the drop down OE message box menu to select the appropriate ISP, otherwise it will not be sent or, alternatively, bounced back.

The Pipex account originally was a "freebie" (journalist perk) - it saved me the then £15 a month subscription although I still had to pay phone costs. I still get useful PR stuff via this account.
Where to start a blog - andymc {P}
My brother, as previously mentioned elsewhere, is living and working in Kuwait. Given the lack of his more traditional forms of entertainment (ie anything involving booze or women), he had started a blog - at first simply to fill his time, but it quickly took a more political/journalistic slant and he has been focusing on issues such as human trafficking, women's rights, the status of immigrants etc. In fact he has now started writing articles for a local publication. I've reproduced a couple of motoring-related examples of his work on here, and think it's a good read.

Anyway, the host for the blog is based in the US and it would seem that while their censors don't mind other bloggers openly describing how to acquire automatic weapons, or expressing extremely racist viewpoints (some very scary stuff), baby bro's social commentary was more than they could tolerate - so, although he never used the type of words our own swear filter would catch (well, perhaps the occasional "like blood", as it were), his account has been suspended on the grounds of "obscenity".

Can anybody recommend a suitable political-type blog spot where the authors are free to express their ideas (subject to the usual non-defamation constraints - that's not a problem)? Preferably one that isn't particularly one-sided, as it were - he likes open debate. At the same time, it would be good to have one where the service provided is efficient, ie not losing posts, no frequent server crashes etc.

Mods, if you think this would be more appropriate in IHAQ, feel free to move!
--
andymc
Vroom, vroom - mmm, doughnuts ...
Where to start a blog - spikeyhead {p}
There's a number of very opoen minded sites out there with a reasonable audience.

If the work is consistently good then the rudious media conglomeration, as linked on tuckermax.com will allow almost anything so long as its good.

--
I read often, only post occasionally
Operating system password protected - bell boy
I have just purchased a s/h computer from an auction sale (companies assetts seized) the files have all been deleted (i think) but the operating system is still intact on the hard drive but password protected,i thought by removing the cmos battery that i could bypass the password but this hasnt worked,i have bought a windows xp disc and installed it but i dont like mysteries and really would like to crack open the secrets installed,can anyone give me a way in ,

thanks.........
Operating system password protected - smokie
Presuming you mean the BIOS password, which is stored in the motherboard not the hard drive. You will see the BIOS password fairly soon after you switch the machine on - you will see no Windows Loading screens etc. Ot the BIOS password can be used simply to protect against deliberate changes to the BIOS.Alternatively you could be talking about the Windows logon password (username & password)..

Please give some more info - also make & model may help.
Operating system password protected - Number_Cruncher
I would use Knoppix

You need to create a bootable CD with Knoppix on, and then, boot from it! You might then be able to gain access to the drive.

Number_Cruncher
Operating system password protected - Dalglish
.. i have bought a windows xp disc and installed it but i dont like mysteries and really would like to crack open
the secrets installed

>>

so it seems you have been able to access the hard drive and install xp on it.

you may be able to view the hidden files either by
1. installing this hard drive as a secondary drive in anonther computer or
2. as number cruncher says, use linux to bypass the passwords or change the passwords to gain access to the hidden data. try google for "xp passwords crack using linux".

Operating system password protected - bell boy
sorry yes i mean windows login password ive got past the bios password.
i will google the xp passwords but ive never used linux ,do i understand that the password is hidden on the hard drive then?
thanks for all your help everybody so far.
i will put this hard drive on another computer tonight as a secondary drive i assume i have to go into bios again to get the motherboard to see it?
anything else would be much appreciated as i learn as i go with computers.
Operating system password protected - Dalglish
oldman
i will google the xp passwords but ive never used linux ,

the link below is the least technical gobbledegook that i can find - you may still find it hard going though ( the first reply there - about 1/6 th down the page - [Accepted Answer from CrazyOne Date: 09/02/2002 01:58PM PDT] is the correct one
www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/WinXP/Q...l

i will put this hard drive on another computer tonight as a secondary drive i assume i have to go into bios
again to get the motherboard to see it?

you should be able to find a guide to this at
www.telegraph.co.uk/digitallife/main.jhtml?menuId=...3

Operating system password protected - Stuartli
See:

ophcrack.sourceforge.net/

plus:

www.snapfiles.com/Freeware/security/fwpasswordreco...l

tinyurl.com/jqrbs

tinyurl.com/ejxc2
Spam e-mail - PhilW
Hope you can help this computer illiterate.
I used to be very smug about the fact that I received virtually no spam e-mails while I was with Freeserve. I put it down to my address which is mynameatxxxxxxx.freeserve.co.uk (the x bit being an obscure placename followed by a number.) You can put anything in front of the @ and it still comes to me. When Freeserve changed to Wanadoo I started getting some spam - about 10 a week offering me watches, drugs of various kinds, shares and personally approved loans of up to half million dollars! Since Wanadoo changed to Orange (these changes may be nothing to do with the increased spam I guess, but it does seem a bit of a coincidence) I now get about 30 a day and it is getting on my nerves. This is despite blocking senders, and setting up rules (in Outlook express) to exclude various words (delete from server, do not download etc) which seems to have no effect whatsoever. In the last week or so I am also getting mail that I have not sent returned to me by "MAILER-DAEMON" and "Mail Delivery system". These all use my e-mail address except that before the @ is another name, or some initials or a number. I don't open any of these spam mails but I have opened one of the returned mail ones 'cos I thought it may be mail I had sent, and it appears to be some kind of blog(?) entry or reply to a blog entry about politics/American foreign policy/war on terrorism etc.
Is there any way in which I can stop this spam getting through? I notice that in box 3 of the rule setting thing in Outlook Express says "Apply this rule AFTER message arrives" but I don't want them to arrive.
I don't visit any "dodgy" websites (Except this one!!) and am using XP, also have Zone Alarm, Adaware, AVG, Spybot, Spyware Blaster, all of which I update either automatically or on a weekly basis and run them every few days if not every day.
Or am I just doomed to receive this rubbish every day for ever?
Sorry for long post!
Thanks for help.
--
Phil
Spam e-mail - Stuartli

Why not try Mozilla Thunderbird? It has a Junk filter which you "train" to recognise such spam e-mails and divert them instantly to a Junk folder.

All your Ourlook Express configuration can be imported easily into Thunderbird, either as you install it or afterwards. If you do try it, however, keep OE as your Default e-mail program until Thunderbird has been fully installed before switching the Default to T/bird. See:

www.mozilla.com/thunderbird/
Spam e-mail - pmh
Be aware that to change back to Outlook is not straightforward as there is no export mail facility in Thunderbird.

(you can use 3rd party software, but no experience of it).

I beleive this will be fixed in next version.

--

pmh (was peter)

Spam e-mail - Dynamic Dave
Or am I just doomed to receive this rubbish every day for ever?

Similar thing happened to my FSNET email address. (part of what was the freeserve group of email addresses).

I went to the Orange website, and logged in to my account online, then used the message filters there to cut down on the amount of spam I received. It took a while, but I eventually managed to get the level of spam down from upwards of 80 spam messages a day down to on average of less than 3 to 5.

For the "MAILER-DAEMON" messages for example, I set up the filter: If sender contains MAILER-DAEMON then move the message to the deleted mail folder. Same rule for "Mail delivery failed" & "undelivered mail" & "Undeliverable" & "delivery failure" messages as well.

As I said, it took a little while to fine tune things, but now in place, it has cut down on the spam significantly.
Spam e-mail - PhilW
Thanks for those suggestions gents. There seem to be quite a few fans of Mozilla on here so I am giving it a go. Will let you know how I get on when I have given it a fair trial.
--
Phil
iTunes software problem - Oz
Finally I'm dragging myself into the 21st century and am about to transfer music onto an iPod instead of using my car's 6CD changer. Accordingly I visited the Apple web site and tried to download the free iTunes software, but the download never actually gets going as far as I can see. Just wonder whether it's on hold in view of problems (now supposedly rectified) with recent version(s) of iTunes - -
www.informationweek.com/hardware/showArticle.jhtml...8
Any other views?

Oz (as was)
iTunes software problem - Pugugly {P}
OZ,
I had problems with 7. Now reverted to six. The problems started when I bought a new computer, downloaded seven and then tried to authorize the iPOD to the new computer, once I managged that could I transfer files ? - No.

My fix was to get the 6 off the old computer on a dongle install that and Bingo it works. Presumably you had a disk with your iPOD, use that, works ok on the old sound only iPOD - who needs pictures and that anyway ?
iTunes software problem - Dalglish
.. free iTunes software, but the download never actually gets going as far as I can see ..

>>

seems to me that your browser or security settings blocking downloads.

if you are using internet explorer, try alternative browser such as opera or firefox.
if it is your security settings, lower the bar to allow downloads (for example, allow www.apple.com/itunes/download/ to be a trusted site).

iTunes software problem - Stuartli
>>try alternative browser such as opera or firefox.>>

Or try adding the particular website (if you use IE) to the Allowed List (IE Tools>Internet Options>Privacy tab>Sites button.
What's for you won't pass you by
Tesco software - henry k
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/5396488.stm

Any further info on this?
Tesco software - Baskerville
It seems highly likely that this is open source software rebranded for Tesco, and it is part of the GPL license that they are allowed to do that.
Tesco software - Dalglish
... is open source software rebranded for Tesco ..

according to today's daily telegraph, it is rebranded stuff from
www.formjet.co.uk/500-products.htm
who in turn sell rebrand stuff sourced from others.

Tesco software - Baskerville
That's interesting. It certainly does look like things are changing and that proper competition is on its way one way or another. What a relief that will be.
Tesco software - malteser
A fair bit of Formjet's offerings seem to be re-branded "Open Office". Why pay when O.O. is completely free?

Roger. (Costa del Sol, España)
external hard drive - tyro
I'm thinking about getting an external hard drive for storage and back up purposes.

Am I right in thinking that this is the best way to go?

What sort should I get? (My main concern is reliability.)
external hard drive - Pugugly {P}
I use an external HDD to back up and has been useful in transferring data accross from my home laptop to my new computer. I would suggest that backing to a recordable DVD would be a more secure long term arrangement.
external hard drive - Altea Ego
Yes PU has it right, all hard disks will fail at some time or in some way, its not a secure form of storage.

Extra storage you use a USB attached drive for portability, and for security and long term storge you copy data to CDs.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Thanks, gentlemen.

Out of idle curiousity, how would the longevity of flash drives (pen drives) compare with that of CDs and hard drives?
external hard drive - Stuartli
longevity of flash drives (pen drives) >>

See:

tinyurl.com/eajjy
external hard drive - Baskerville
>> longevity of flash drives (pen drives) >>
See:
tinyurl.com/eajjy
- - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - -

You do realise that isn't journalism but advertising, don't you? For a data recovery firm. The page is loaded with common search terms and--this is just a hunch--a company called "eProvided" is the sponsor. It doesn't even read as if it has been written by a human.

Does anyone have a real article about this?
external hard drive - Altea Ego
NO but I have real world commercial experience of these things.

Pen drives have become a commodity. This means they are built to a price, not to a quality standard. They susbsequently have a quite high electronic/electrical/mechanical failure rate.

Its not a media for secure storage, but a transient/transfer store.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
external hard drive - Stuartli
To back up TVM, I've known some pen drives and memory cards to pack up after quite a comparatively short period - in one or two cases it was due to careless insertion or removal by the owners.

The article on longevity issues was the only relevant piece I could find at the time.
external hard drive - Baskerville
Certainly not complaining about the point. I put them in the category of floppy disks as far as security goes (i.e. none).
Again, thanks gentlemen. Most helpful.
DVD Writer software recommendations - commerdriver
Just got a new computer with a DVD writer does anybody have a suggestion of the best software to use for

a. copying DVD's with TV programs on them and
b. writing data to DVD's since they hold more than a CD

thanks

DVD Writer software recommendations - Stuartli
DVDShrink is freeware and will copy DVDs for you - you then use a burning program. See:

www.filehippo.com/download_dvdshrink/

Re data to DVDs. As with CD-Rs you can use a disk in Nero or Easy Creater in Multisession form. This allows data and other files to be added as required until the disk is full, when it is then Finalised.

In between you can use the disk as normal for installing, checking files etc.

The main things to remember are to "Save" the Folder name of the disk each time you complete a multisession burning session (Nero asks if you wish to do so) and to keep a full record of what's on the disk (otherwise you will get completely bemused).

PS

If your system's DVD rewriter didn't come with burning software (unlikely) then you can buy a basic copy of Nero6 from Scan very cheaply and update it free to the final version at:

www.nero.com/eng/Downloads.html

But you will need broadband as they are biggish downloads.
DVD Writer software recommendations - commerdriver
thanks Stuart
Trillian 3.1 Basic chat client - SjB {P}
I now use various chat products for ad-hoc conversation with colleagues worldwide; great to send a quick message and either get a reply by return with minimal interruption or have them reply when they are back at their desk later.

One such colleague has recommended Trillian 3.1 Basic (download from tinyurl.com/2dol3) as a means of combining MSN, Yahoo, and ICQ users in one chat client. Taking a look, it seems to have some other useful benefits, too.

Before I clutter up my hard disk, does any BRer have experience of Trillian 3.1 Basic, please?
Trillian 3.1 Basic chat client - Stuartli
Before using Skype almost exclusively, I used to use Trillian - it's a first class utility and covers all the main chat products.

You may have to spend a little time configuring it properly but it is worth it.
Trillian 3.1 Basic chat client - SjB {P}
Great, thanks Stuartli.
Will give it a go.
DG834G as a relay for BT HomeHub - SjB {P}
When upgrading my 2Mb BT Broadband connection to BT Total Broadband I ticked the box for the free BT HomeHub wireless router for several reasons, the primary one of which was to solve a problem of wireless "cold spots"; We have a large house and there are two areas that try as I might with optimised positioning, my trusty Netgear DG834G struggles to reach. My thinking therefore was that I could use the HomeHub (a rebadged Thomson unit) as the primary wireless router with broadband access and the DG834G as a relay to extend wireless coverage.

The DG834G has IP 192.168.0.1, is WEP enabled, DHCP enabled, 128bit encrypted, running 802.11b/g on channel 3, SSID broadcast temporarily enabled (normally disabled), and with known MAC address connection only enabled. Rightly or wrongly, I have added the MAC address of the BT HomeHub to the "allowed" list. Three IP addresses (192.168.0.2-4) are allocated to specific devices.

The HomeHub has IP 192.168.1.254, is WEP enabled, DHCP enabled, 128bit encrypted, running 802.11b/g on channel 1, has a different SSID with broadcast temporarily enabled (it will be disabled when my problem is solved), and has "new stations allowed automatically" (which I guess might be a simple front for MAC functionality). It does however have a WDS (Wireless Ditribution System) detection option, and when I invoke it it finds the DG834G.

At this point, several things happen;

> Firstly the web based admin menu in the DG834G becomes painfully slow to work, implying either that the processor or wireless network (I didn't use Ethernet to access the menu) is maxed out trying to do something.

> Secondly, the Network becomes erratic and all connected computers drop out and give "Network problems prevent connection" type messages after a few seconds.

> Thirdly, if I switch one or other of the routers OFF, then connection to the other one works (automatically).

I cannot change the HomeHub's IP address (it appears designed as a plug and play device for those even more network simpletons than myself) and I do not want to change the DG's IP address or assigned range (192.168.0.1-254) to match that of the HomeHub unless this is part of my problem. Likewise I don't want to switch off DHCP unless I have to since I don't want to break something that works (as a stand alone ADSL router).

Browsing the web, I get contradictory information as to whether the DG834G actually is WDS compatible, but if we assume that it is not and I switch off WDS in the HomeHub menu, how can I achieve my goal of having the DG as a slave/relay/bridge/repeater/extender (or whatever the correct term is) to the Homehub, please?

Many thanks.
DG834G as a relay for BT HomeHub - Baskerville
Firstly I'm not sure the 834G can be used as a repeater. But assuming it can there will be a box to check somewhere to tell it to behave that way. You will need to enter the MAC and IP addresses of the BT router to tell it which access point it is supposed to be repeating. In any case you will need to switch off DHCP on the 834G so that it can get an address from the BT router. If you really want to run with two different subnets (both routers using different ranges) you'll need to do nifty stuff that is probably beyond the hardware--TVM will know.

If it isn't possible with this hardware then consider making a wired link somehow (conventional cabling or homeplug networking) between the two routers and simply place the 834G where you want it, DHCP off.
DG834G as a relay for BT HomeHub - Altea Ego
Taint gonna work. Your DG834 can not be used as a WDS device. You will need to hard wire the DG834 to the home hub.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
DG834G as a relay for BT HomeHub - SjB {P}
Murky buckets, Baskerville and TVM.
Appreciated.

Although it of course works, Ethernet is not an option without surface mounted cables (a no-no in my book), so I'll do some product research (starting with Netgear after the solid reliabilty and well structured menu interface of the DG834G) and buy a wireless repeater.
Google not working properly - paul45
Help please

Recently google has stopped working as a link to the searched websites. You can search for anything and google comes up with its usual list of 40,000,000 answers. Once you have found the one you are looking for and what to click on it, instead of taking you to the website you want it takes me to an advertising website,every time and it's really annoying.

I am runnng anti-spyware software regularly and this doesn't seem to fix the problem. If you use Ask or Altavista the same thing does not happen on these search engines, so the problem is with google.

Anyone have an idea of what I've done wrong....?

thanks
Google not working properly - pmh
Are you sure that you are actually on the Google home page, not a spoofed one? Is it possible somebody has hijacked your 'home' page address in IE?

Try loading Firefox and dont import setting. See if the same thing happens.
--

pmh (was peter)

IE 7 Beta release - pmh
I have started using this, with tabbed browsing and pop up suppression it beats Firefox for speed ! But what are the down sides??
The only problem is that I used to suppress imbedded adverts which does not seem to be possible?

When it becomes fully available will Microsoft release it for XP for free?

--

pmh (was peter)

IE 7 Beta release - Baskerville
>>But what are
the down sides??
The only problem is that I used to suppress imbedded adverts
which does not seem to be possible?
When it becomes fully available will Microsoft release it for XP
for free?

Yes, IE7 will be an automatic update. Down sides? For me, apart from the monoculture argument (infect one, infect them all), Microsoft's shoddy security record, and the fact that it only runs on Windows, there are the Firefox extensions (I couldn't do without Foxmarks, Scrapbook, Sage, or Deepest Sender). It's too early to say what the main downsides will really be, but I'm also told by someone who knows that IE7 is better but still pretty bad with implementing standards. As the Web is gradually standardizing that may be a growing problem, though MS is still pinning hopes on everyone adopting their standard of course. But overall it's good that a new IE is out after so long as competition will move things along. RSS seems to be done well, especially since IE6 users have been missing out on that joy up to now.

Opera 9 is also worth a look by the way, if you're in a switching mood, though I've never really warmed to it. I'm currently trying out Firefox 2.0 RC2 (the final version is due in a week or two) and that seems stable, with some good new features.
IE 7 Beta release - Pugugly {P}
I downloaded this onto my new MESH last month. It ran quite well and seemed to be as good as Firefox in many respects. Anyway it's gone into a world of its own and won't recognise my internet connection. Firefox and BT's varient of IE7 run ok.
IE 7 Beta release - Stuartli
You can speed up Firefox quite easily with Finetune Firefox (if you haven't already done so) from:

www.totalidea.com/content/firetune/firetune-index....l

Saves doing it manually using about:config.
IE 7 Beta release - smokie
Been using IE RC2 for some weeks now. I liked Firefox but it effectively stopped working for me - no images in pages, and unable to fix it.

Could anyone using one of the IE7 release candidates and XP please take a look in their Applications in Task Manager and see if they have Search_glow for the same number of instances as the number of tabs minus one? I asked about this a while back...
IE 7 Beta release - pmh
IE7 RC? version 7.0.5700.6 XP Pro SP2 fully upto date.

Applications in Task Manager only shows 1 instance of IE running and nothing else.
In Processes iexplore.exe is using 125k of mem.

8 Tabs running
--

pmh (was peter)