No so Private Seller in small ads - Falkirk Bairn
Low mileage Honda in the ads.

I phoned and asked for more details of the car for sale.

Pause, silence..................what car?

The car you are advertising!

The red Honda was his reply - I said no it is not a red car in the advert...........

A trader pretending tp be a Private Seller!!

Tip
When phoning do as I did and ask about the car - not the make/colour or anything - if he/she is a Private Seller there is no problem, if he/she is a trader with more cars for sale they are caught out.
No so Private Seller in small ads - Thommo
Even better.

First two questions out of your mouth.

1. Is the V5 in you name?

2. Will I be viewing th car at the address listed on the V5?

Answer negative to either of these questions and walk away. Amazing the range of answers you get as to the answer is no to ether of them.
No so Private Seller in small ads - bell boy
buy from an established dealer .......much better for everyone ;}
No so Private Seller in small ads - Adam {P}
Do you actually sell cars oldman?
No so Private Seller in small ads - jacks
Very few genuine private sellers around

among the stories I've been told when the sellers name is not on the V5

It's my girlfriends car / girlfriends brother etc
Bought it for my wife/son/daughter/father/mother & it's too big/small/fast slow for them
bought it for my son/daughter and now they've gone to London - nowhere to park etc
Just bought it & now got company car
Registered (& insured) in uncle's name to get cheaper ins.

Usually with traderspeak words in the ad ..............good drive, electric pack,nice example, directors car, & incorrect/vague colour descriptions (bright red, pale green etc ) as they don't know - can't be bothered to find out the actual colour.
Private sellers ALWAYS know the proper name of the colour of their car.

Jacks
No so Private Seller in small ads - stunorthants
Im not sure I agree about the colours as on some cars its not easy to find out what teh colour is called unless the info has been passed from owner to owner, but i fully agree with the rest - traders are fairly easy to spot and catch out, they just pray they wont be.

No so Private Seller in small ads - Vin {P}
" Very few genuine private sellers around"

When I was buying from the papers, I only once came across a trader, so I doubt that.

"Usually with traderspeak words in the ad"

Plenty of people (me included) look at other adverts for guidnace - thus, they start to look the same.

"Private sellers ALWAYS know the proper name of the colour of their car."

I've owned, then sold, probably a dozen cars over the past ten or fifteen years and I have NEVER known the proper name for the colour.

V

No so Private Seller in small ads - stjarna
I've owned, then sold, probably a dozen cars over the past
ten or fifteen years and I have NEVER known the proper
name for the colour.

Probably depends on whether you bought the car from new. I've known the proper names of both cars I've had from new, but the second hand ones have simply been 'blue', or 'silver'.
No so Private Seller in small ads - blue_haddock
I think the vast majority of people have no idea of the actual name the paint colour - how often do you say red cars described as cherry red or post office red?
No so Private Seller in small ads - artful dodger {P}
>>among the stories I've been told when the sellers name is not on the V5

Last week I sold my Mother-in-Law's Fiesta. It was not registered in my name, neither was it at the V5 address, but I was happy to let them telephone her if they wanted to check any facts. Never happened as I had full documentation from original invoice, price list, brochure, all sevice records, all MOT's, key tags, spare keys, radio code, etc. It was 12 years old, one owner and only 31K on the clock. Sold it to the first person to see it, but could have sold it probably 25 times over.

It was a genuine private sale and the buyer could see this. From the moment I spoke to them on the telephone I made them aware I was selling the car on behalf of my MOL and this did not matter to them. They never even asked to see the V5 until they had agreed to buy it. The young lady in her mid 20's who bought it came with her boyfriend and father. The father said if she did not buy it then he would for his wife as the car was exactly as described in excellent condition.

A friend of mine bought a fairly recent Jag from Autotrader after the owner had died. It was his wife who was finally selling it some 6 months later (but it could have easily been another relative as she could not drive). It had been parked under a tree and was not even washed when he saw it, so he could only guess at the condition of the paintwork. He made a low offer which was accepted, and once he had washed and polished it he realised what a bargain he had bought. She would have made £3 to 4,000 pounds more if someone had washed it and sold it for her. My friend kept it for a few months and then sold it on at a profit.

Yes there are plenty of traders claiming to be private sellers, but you can easily spot them. There may be a genuine reason why the V5 and address do to tally, an elderly person has died or giving up driving, or they cannot be bothered to sell it themselves (as in my case).

--
Roger
I read frequently, but only post when I have something useful to say.