New type of cones - audiaudi
Hi

Sunday, me and the family will be travelling up the M1 and expect a load of cones.

When I see millions of these cones, I often wonder if there was a better and cheaper solution.

Several times we've seen the men drop off and pick up comes from the back of the lorry.

Does anyone think that this design of cone will ever be replaced and if yes, with what?

BTW - on the way back from a trip several years ago on a sunny day, a lorry had ran over about hlaf a mile of cones - no one was hurt but our feeling was the driver must have feel asleep - it was a French regd lorry.
New type of cones - R75
someone did come up with a "Flat" cone, basically a 2D version that was just fixed to a base, problem was they didn't stack so were difficult to deploy and pick up. I suppose it is like the "Cats Eyes", the best design is the one we already use and is very difficult to improve on.
New type of cones - wotspur
why cant they use a number of cones joined together with a barrier covering 10ft, much quicker to drop off and collect, it can't be that difficult
New type of cones - cockle {P}
My head ganger once had a specially 'modified' cone.
Many moons ago I was working on the local ring road and we had to cone off the inner lane. On the first morning a young jack the lad came along in a beaten up old mini and 'clump, clump, clump, clump' went down the line of cones clipping them just enough to knock them over; cue lots a of cursing and cones were replaced. Following morning same lad comes down the road, 'clump, clump, clump, clump' again, same result.
Third morning same lad drives down road, 'clump, clump, clump, CRUNCH'.
He found the one that had sat upside down in the yard all night while the concrete cured off.
Funnily enough he didn't come back on the fourth morning.........
New type of cones - Pugugly {P}
Guess its a prime example of Evolution - Survival of the fitest and all that old Charlie Darwin would be proud of you !
New type of cones - cockle {P}
I like to think of it as improving the species by educating the weaker minded members in simple ways they can understand. :-)
New type of cones - rtj70
On some roads the "cones" are vertical tubes of redish orange plastic - I think you'll know what I mean. Someone I used to know thought it fun to knock these over... but every so often they are apparently fixed with a rod to the road.... took the side of his car off. Served him right.
On some roads the "cones" are vertical tubes of redish orange
plastic - I think you'll know what I mean. Someone I
used to know thought it fun to knock these over... but
every so often they are apparently fixed with a rod to
the road.... took the side of his car off. Served him
right.

ROFL, it happened to a guy i know way back in the 80's. like the other guy said re the young man knocking over the standard cones, he hit one that was fixed dow.

i think you are all right, no new viable/cost effective cone around the corner.
New type of cones - rtj70
I should patent this idea...

What about that the cat's eyes in roads can be raised to form a pillar with the cats eye on top and coloured like a cone. You want to shut down a lane then apart from the initial cones then the "cats eyes on a stick" will be the lane barrier. And with a cat's eye on top can be seen at night....

What about that?
I should patent this idea...
What about that the cat's eyes in roads can be raised
to form a pillar with the cats eye on top and
coloured like a cone. You want to shut down a lane
then apart from the initial cones then the "cats eyes on
a stick" will be the lane barrier. And with a cat's
eye on top can be seen at night....
What about that?

LOL - imagine the cost, thentheir limitations in ref to lane changing - then worse still, some fool trashes a couple and the whole motorway is closed.

Still considering patenting it :)

Made me laugh, thanks!
New type of cones - school boy
I've heard of a bio-degradable cone. So you wont see the odd cone lodged in a hedge in a country lane and so on. They're meant to last about 8 years I think, may be a dissadvantage. I bet the comon cone lifespan is 10 years or so, can anyone correct me?
I've heard of a bio-degradable cone. So you wont see the
odd cone lodged in a hedge in a country lane and
so on. They're meant to last about 8 years I think,
may be a dissadvantage. I bet the comon cone lifespan is
10 years or so, can anyone correct me?

Sorry, it's a myth! Imagine these bio cones withh a sell by date, and overnight they all fall over and vanish over night. lol-ish.
New type of cones - Vansboy
Mentions of Cats Eyes, reminds of what Ken Dodd always states....

The inventor created them after he had seen a feeline approach him, at eye level - apparently he also saw the creature walking away, after - then he invented the pencil sharpner!!

VB
New type of cones - Cliff Pope
You'd have thought by now they would have invented automatic cone dispensers. A machine on the side of the lorry, load it with 100 cones, then just drive along and it plonks them down at pre-set intervals. Reverse action grab picks them up again, a bit like those things on trains for picking up mailbags.
New type of cones - mare
>> I've heard of a bio-degradable cone. >> >>
Sorry, it's a myth! Imagine these bio cones withh a
sell by date, and overnight they all fall over and vanish
over night. lol-ish.

Sounded a bit realistic to me, after all you get bio-degradable carrier bags now
New type of cones - L'escargot
I've seen flat ones that are flexible. After they've been run over they just pop back up again.
--
L\'escargot.