HV waistcoats - Thommo
£3 on Ebay inclusive of P&P.

So cheap now have about six so they can just be left where needed, car boots, garage, bike shed etc.

Peanuts for an essential piece of safety equipment.
HV waistcoats - Pugugly {P}
Bargain - buy a couple ! Whizzing down the M6 today saw a broken down car with and I had to look hard for the occupants, who were standing behind the barrier. You shouldn't have ot look for them though !
HV waistcoats - PhilW
"£3 on Ebay inclusive of P&P."
excellent value - but not quite as good as the ones I picked up in a French supermarket 1 euro bargain box for my, wife's and kids' cars!!

--
Phil
HV waistcoats - Altea Ego
£2.40 each inc postage if you buy a box of 20
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Plus I know where I can get some nice padded hi vis jackets with blue and yellow chequer trim just like u know who
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
HV waistcoats - colinh
It's a legal requirement to carry them inside the car rather than the boot in some countries.
HV waistcoats - nick
What a crazy rule. I'd like to see the the stats on the number of people 'saved' from death and injury by this law.
HV waistcoats - PhilW
"What a crazy rule. I'd like to see the the stats on the number of people 'saved' from death and injury by this law."

Why is it crazy? Anything that makes people more visible when on the hard shoulder changing a wheel, or even walking along a roadside to a phone/to get help etc must be positive move. Having it inside the car means you can put it on before getting out.
Perhaps they should make them compulsory for joggers/dog walkers - (a friend who is a jogger always wears one) - instead of what appears to be compulsory jogging gear round here on dark, winter's evenings - black trousers, black t-shirt and black woolly hat
--
Phil
HV waistcoats - Dulwich Estate
"Crazy rule" - well maybe. There is a huge amount of legislation and too many rigidly adhered to guide lines which people blindly accept in the name of health and safety and reducing accidents, injury and death. Living is dangerous - a good few people die falling down stairs at home every year - let's make bungalows compulsory. Soon you won't even be allowed to have a hot bath. Too many people have been scalded apparently so we're all going to get temperature limited bath taps.

Bring back solid tyres and the man with the red flag!
HV waistcoats - LeighB
Living is dangerous - a good few
people die falling down stairs at home every year - let's
make bungalows compulsory.

Bear in mind that "Life is a Sexually transmitted Terminal illness."
HV waistcoats - Vin {P}
"Perhaps they should make them compulsory for..."

Perhaps they should make it an offence to use these words. We have enough rules!

V
HV waistcoats - Dave N
What a crazy rule. I'd like to see the the stats
on the number of people 'saved' from death and injury by
this law.

Absolutely. Maybe a crash helmet should be worn whilst waiting behind the armco for the Highways Agency to pitch up and stand there with you. But they go one better and have a high vis car as well. Come to think of it, maybe we should all drive a high vis car as well.
HV waistcoats - Waino
Frequently I have to work at the side of the road - and yes, I value my hi-viz waistcoat very highly.

I would say that it's up to the individual, though. If folks wish to increase their chances of being killed on the road, then that should be left to them. It's no bad thing to remove idiots from the gene pool.
HV waistcoats - bell boy
hv vests are one of the best things you can ever wear if you want to be seen...........
HV waistcoats - Martin Devon
What a crazy rule. I'd like to see the the stats
on the number of people 'saved' from death and injury by
this law.

Do you really need stats? Just use yer brain Mr. Somebody.

MD
HV waistcoats - nick
>> What a crazy rule. I'd like to see the the
stats
>> on the number of people 'saved' from death and injury
by
>> this law.
>>
Do you really need stats? Just use yer brain Mr.
Somebody.
MD

My point is (and Mr 'Yer', I have a name) that is is crazy to criminalise someone for not having one in the the car. By all means publicise the advantages of a HV jacket (I carry one, but in the boot, I think I'm capable of getting out of a car without being run over) but let's not have yet one more way of fining the motorist.
HV waistcoats - bell boy
the idea nick is that you put the coat on afore ye leave the vehicle ie you dont go to boot covering the back lights up in the dark and spend an age looking for it under the kitchen sink
HV waistcoats - Bromptonaut
>> >> What a crazy rule. I'd like to see the
the the car. By all means publicise the advantages of a
HV jacket (I carry one, but in the boot, I think
I'm capable of getting out of a car without being run
over) but let's not have yet one more way of fining
the motorist.

The idea of keeping it in the car is that it's no good in the boot if you're rear ended and cannot get at it.
HV waistcoats - PhilW
"I think I'm capable of getting out of a car without being run over"
I hope so - but that moment of getting out of your car on the hard shoulder is probably the most dangerous moment of a breakdown.
Perhaps publicising seat beltss would have been enough?
Perhaps the aim of making them compulsory (as in France? Spain? Germany even??) to keep in the "cab" is not just to provide "one more way of fining the motorist." but to emphasise to people how important it is to carry/use one where appropriate.
Why carry it in the boot rather than a door pocket so that you have to get out of the car and walk to back of vehicle before donning it - they take up very little space.
Anyway, it's up to you.

--
Phil
HV waistcoats - nick
Why carry it in the boot rather than a door pocket
so that you have to get out of the car
and walk to back of vehicle before donning it - they
take up very little space.
Anyway, it's up to you.

It is indeed and that's how I would like it to stay. Perhaps we should also carry clip-on lightning conductors in case we have to get out of the car in a thunderstorm? Or helmets with flashing lights attached. These 'might' save my life.
HV waistcoats - PhilW
Of course, what you have not thought about is the effect on the person who runs into you as you invisibly and inadvertently step onto the carriageway (or do you never make errors of judgement??). Nor the effect on your loved ones.
Wonder why they make roadworkers wear them?
Still, it's still your choice.

"Or helmets with flashing lights attached"
What a good idea - they could even put similar things next to roadworks or even on slow moving or extra large vehicles!
Enough
--
Phil
HV waistcoats - nick
Of course, what you have not thought about is the effect
on the person who runs into you as you invisibly and
inadvertently step onto the carriageway (or do you never make errors
of judgement??). Nor the effect on your loved ones.
Wonder why they make roadworkers wear them?
Still, it's still your choice.

I've never yet got out of the car into the path of another. If I couldn't see well enough I'd get out of the passenger side.
Yes it is my choice. As I said before, let's hope it stays that way.
HV waistcoats - school boy
Where? I'd be interested please.
HV waistcoats - R75
They are great when on the road, but provide you with a cloak of invisibility when you get to a goods in window at a warehouse!!!!!!!
I thought it was already compulsory to have them laid out on your parcel shelf.............
HV waistcoats - Adam {P}
I really can't see the problem.
HV waistcoats - Adam {P}
God that was a bad (and tenuous joke).

It sounded a lot better in my head believe me.
>It sounded a lot better in my head believe me.

It would do, there isnt much else in there.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
HV waistcoats - Dynamic Dave

Don't worry Adam, I'll delete in a day or two so as not to cause you any embarrassment to other BR members ;o)
HV waistcoats - Adam {P}
Thanks Dave - what a pal! (While you're there, sort out that RF will you?)
HV waistcoats - R75
It sounded a lot better in my head believe me.

How did you manage to hear it over the echo?
HV waistcoats - Adam {P}
>>How did you manage to hear it over the echo?<<

A good question mate. A very good question!
HV waistcoats - AR-CoolC
They are great when on the road, but provide you with
a cloak of invisibility when you get to a goods in
window at a warehouse!!!!!!!

LOL
HV waistcoats - Big John
When driving in Europe do you just need one for the driver or do have to have one for everyone in the car?
HV waistcoats - PhilW
"in Europe "
details here
www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/compulsory_...l

but doesn't seem to answer your precise question
I did find this elsewhere though
"High Visibility Vests are now compulsory items to carry in your vehicle when driving in Italy, Spain and Austria (and likely to become compulsory throughout the EU) in case you need to walk on a motorway. In Spain we are told that you need a vest for every occupant of the car, and that they must be carried inside the car, not the boot."

--
Phil
HV waistcoats - Thommo
Jeesch,

I mention cheap HV jackets and you lot kick off about keeping them in the boot of the car.

You lot could kick off an argument in an an empty room.
HV waistcoats - stevied
No we couldn't. : )
HV waistcoats - bell boy
yes we would............... :-o
HV waistcoats - stevied
Outside now!

HV waistcoats - bell boy
well my dads bigger than your dad
HV waistcoats - nick
bet he's not
HV waistcoats - stevied
My dad's the type of bloke who'd wear an HV waistcoat to a party, bless him. And he drives an Almera as well. So yes, I'll let you have that one.

I scared the living daylights out of him the other day, he asked me to drive him and my mum somewhere and I took the Almera above 3000 rpm a couple of times. Apparently it would appear I am going to hell....
Outside now!

But you'll have to wear yellow jackets if youre going out.

Seriously. By whatever measure its common sense to make yourself as visible as possible at the scene of a roadside incident. I for one will be buying a couple of these. I will keep them somewhere in the car.
HV waistcoats - nick
I'm going to wear mine 24/7 including in bed.
HV waistcoats - stevied
Wise words.
HV waistcoats - bell boy
waistcoats with the high viz (class2) are only £2.45 at mudfords
You can buy a family pack. Comes with 1 waterproof padded jacket, with three matching vests.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
HV waistcoats - Happy Blue!
Compulsory to keep inside the car in Israel and to wear it when you get out of the car on the highway (not urban areas obviously!) for any reason.
HV waistcoats - IanJohnson
Compulsory to keep inside the car in Israel and to wear
it when you get out of the car on the highway
(not urban areas obviously!) for any reason.

Presume that includes taking a leak in the hedge!!!
DO NOT fix anything to the outside of your HV waistcoat in Israel.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
HV waistcoats - Lud
Not that I was meaning to TVM, or even to go to the place, but why not?
HV waistcoats - Adam {P}
I was going to ask myself but I didn't want to appear stupid.
HV waistcoats - Adam {P}
By "ask myself" I meant "Ask him myself" and not "Hello Adam - what does RF mean?".

You know what I meant.
HV waistcoats - Lud
You won't mind so much in 47 years' time young man, drool burp...
Let us say that there is another type of waistcoat or vest that has been used and is not welcome in israel.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
HV waistcoats - Lud
You mean rows of big fat red marker pens front and back with a wire leading to a bell-push in your hand?

I think I'll try it.
HV waistcoats - Happy Blue!
As it happens, if you were to decide to wear a waistcoat full of dynamite on the open road in Israel, I suspect that the authorities would be delighted if you blew yourself up at the roadside in the middle of the desert rather than on a urban bus........

In case you all think i'm mad, I am. My wife and children spent five weeks at our holiday home in Israel this summer with lots of bombers (of the aircraft variety) going overhead. It was the most relaxing holiday I've had in years (I was back home working for most of the time!).
HV waistcoats - Greg R
"Plus I know where I can get some nice padded hi vis jackets with blue and yellow chequer trim just like u know who"

Please tell me where!

£land do them for £1. I bought a couple for safety and my motorcycle and scooter.
HV waistcoats - Big John
Do you need just one HV vest for the driver of one for every person in the car when driving in Europe?
HV waistcoats - PhilW
John,
see my reply above.
Only thing I can find is
""High Visibility Vests are now compulsory items to carry in your vehicle when driving in Italy, Spain and Austria (and likely to become compulsory throughout the EU) in case you need to walk on a motorway. In Spain we are told that you need a vest for every occupant of the car, and that they must be carried inside the car, not the boot."

--
Phil
HV waistcoats - Big John
Time to buy two extra HV vests!