More accurate, Sat Nav Speedo / Odometer - cottontop
Hi all,

Ive just received a Copilot 6 Sat Nav for my mobile (Orange SPV C600). Very impressed with it so far but it has a screen where it shows your speed. The qesution is which is more accurate, the Sat Nav or the Odometer....

BTW I've got a Mk3 Golf estate (nothing too fancy)
More accurate, Sat Nav Speedo / Odometer - component part
The Sat Nav.

Accurate to within +/- 0.1mph usually. You will typically find that you speedo reads higher than the sat nav...this is normal. You might still want to go through speed traps etc at the indicated (on your speedo) legal speed.

Think of it as a safety margin:-)
More accurate, Sat Nav Speedo / Odometer - martint123
Sat nav is more accurate so long as you are going in a straight line on level ground.
More accurate, Sat Nav Speedo / Odometer - Altea Ego
Straight will do, you dont need to worry about level - no road in the uk deviates up and down enough to affect it.

Sat nav transmits an accurate time signal, and measures the time taken between points. Hence if you are going round bends the speed is taken as the crow flies.

The Touran speedo read 5mph fast against sat nav

------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
More accurate, Sat Nav Speedo / Odometer - cottontop
Mine is about 3-4 above what the sat nav says...given its only Bluetooth Sat Nav for my phone i'm very impressed....

Obviously if you've got different sized tyres to whats recommended then thats going to make a difference as well....
More accurate, Sat Nav Speedo / Odometer - SjB {P}
70 mph on the GPS is 72mph indicated in the 306, 73mph on the Hornet motorbike, and a smidge under 76 mph in the V70.
158 mph on the GPS near Munich was off the clock in the V70. :-)

That's not the highest speed I've see though as I also use it in aeroplanes (I always ask and have yet to be refused) which can be interesting. 555mph ground speed is the highest so far (having taken an age to get a satellite lock, I guess as the CPU was going nuts trying to derive current position!)
More accurate, Sat Nav Speedo / Odometer - Altea Ego
On a plane the funny thing is how hard it tries to match postion to the nearest road. And as for the speed camera databse. 500 mph in a 30 huh!
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
More accurate, Sat Nav Speedo / Odometer - SjB {P}
True, and :-) respectively!
More accurate, Sat Nav Speedo / Odometer - Collos25
The speed shown on a sat nav is GPS generated so do not forget it is only correct on the flat if you are going up or down hill it is not accurate.It measures the distance and time across the surface of the earth not the actual distance travelled .